Ear, Nose & Throat Community
excessive thick mucus in vocal chords

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

excessive thick mucus in vocal chords

I have tried everything it seems for several years to get rid of this thick mucus that comes and goes in my vocal chords. I went to an ENT again and they went down my throat with a camera and were able to show me on film the thick stringy mucus in my vocal chords. Both ENT's said they thought it was acid reflux and so I have been on Prilosec for 3 weeks now(also called omeprazole-20 mg) and yet no change yet(I have had  hardly any symptoms of acid reflux, but just recently have had little burps of gas come up from time to time but very infrequent).
    Is there anything you can take just to get the thick mucus in your vocal chords  dissolved so you can speak.  I am a professional actor and am desperate. Anybody have any luck with solving the basic problem of the mucus in the vocal chords or have any idea once it is in the vocal chords how to get immediate relief from it.  It is so discouraging that I cannot to date find a doctor who can help this problem. It seems someone should have an answer. Thanks for any help you can give me. PS  I cannot sing anymore with this problem which is devastating to me and of course has hindered my acting career(musical theatre).
Hey
I had this terrible problem too, that is until I Discovered the magic of simply blowing my nose! yes, that's it. Blow your nose one nostril at a time and the mucus from your cords will come right up thru your nostrils and out into the ozone! believe me this works. Sometimes i may have to "tickle" up into my nostrils with tissue paper and force myself to sneeze but when i do..out comes a glob of mucus! i just keep repeating til i can feel that my throat is clear. give it a try.
I too suffer from this problem, have done since childhood.
Now in my sixties I still suffer from the problem,that is if I FORGET!
You will say 'Forget what?'
The answer is ; forget to NOT cough, ( clearing ones throat)
It is a self perpetuating problem, for example when we are a little bit  nervous, (say we are about to make a public speech) we tend to utter the sound "eehmmm", to clear our throat, if still, the "frog-in-the throat" persists we do it again, and again, but by doing this "eehmmm" we are irritating the vocal chords more and more ,so they produce more and more mucus,which can go on and on indefinitely.
Try to AVOID BEING NERVOUS , have one or two drinks (no more)30 minutes before a speech,AVOID COUGHING.
When the mucus is fresh (the first of a new bout of the problem) , the  "eehmmm" works fine, the frog comes up, but straight away the vocal chords start producing a stronger batch.....and so on..
Try to "live with the Frog in your throat, that is the only it way it will go away naturally, always drink plenty of water anyway.
And "eehmmm" (dam,Ive done it again) "eehmmm"  good luck
Hi there;

So sorry to hear of your problems.

I used to have a similar problem where the mucus would be overtaking my life. I would cough and cough and it still wouldn't go away. It kept me awake at night and it was embarrassing. I'm going to give you a bit of advice that SERIOUSLY helped me with my problem. STOP DRINKING MILK!

I didn't realize how much phlegm and mucus build up is caused by Milk. I have no problems eating cheese, but I stopped cold turkey having milk by itself. No more cereal (which was hard for me because I've always loved cereal). After stopping the milk, within 3 weeks my mucus had all but vanished. As long as I don't drink milk, the problem no longer exists.

Good luck to you!
I am experiencing, what sounds like, the same problem. I have extremely thick sticky mucus in my airways.  When I'm able to expell some from very hard coughing I get immediate relief for about a minute until more mucus comes to take it's place. I live with a constant feeling that something is stuck in my throat. I have had 4 different ENTs, all associated with Loma Linda medical center, looking in my nose.  They all say the same thing, that they have never seen this before.  I have had the full battery of allergy testing with no findings.  They now are sending me to pulmanary to see if they can find the cause. I really don't expect the answer to be there because I can actually feel the mucus coming down from my nose.
I have had 1 nasal passage scrap, which cleaned one sinus cavity that was severly blocked and one that was partially blocked. I have had another, within 45 days, where they went and scrapped my air passages in my throat and recleaned the nasal cavity.  After these cleanings the conditions seems to get better and I felt "normal" for about a month but within 15 - 30 days after stopping the antibiotics and ending the steriod treatment the condition returns. Previous to the surgerys,  I have been given steriods and antibiotics, various types and they do seem to help while I'm taking them but the condition returns shortly after I stop the antibiotics.  I'm a real estate broker and the ability to speak is a tool I can't do without.
My question to yu have you found anything that helps?
i have similar symptoms...constant phlegm from nose , throat and exact same substance in stools  !
  i'm leaning toward parasitic infection as the buggars can be seen if you look closely. thats right...they are in your system ( roundworms)  and when they migrate is when my worst symptoms appear.
was eating pumpkin seeds that apparently aggravate them.
the same thick mucus from all three 'orifices'.
easily visible ' worms' of green/brownish color.
i have every animal listed as carriers so it makes sense in my case.  plus...you can SEE them in the mucus!
hope this helps someone
I am a singer and suffer the same fate as you with the constant thick mucus on my vocal chords.  I am a first soprano, so it is very hard for me to hit my notes at times.  I also, went from doctor to doctor and was very discouraged.  One day I was lying in bed and God gave me the answer.  I used Mucinex DM and Corricidan tablets for two weeks. They are both expectorants. This thinned the mucus and clear my throat, chest and lungs. At first I felt like a train had hit me, because my body was so used to the mucus and bacteria being there. However, I could tell that it was working because the mucus was thick and dark yellow that was coming up. (Sorry to be so graphic) Moreover, I was able to take deep breathes and hold my notes. After the two weeks, I then would alternate the use of both medicines until I was totally clear.  Once, I was clear I started taking one or the other as needed.  Recently, I found Mucinex liquid and started using that the night before I had to sing. This has also given me great results. Hope this helps. Disclaimer: You may want to check with your doctor before trying this radical method of dosing.  

Though this is years after you originally posted, perhaps this can help someone else.  What you are suffering from is most likely a chronic sinus infection, especially if you can feel that there's always a little mucus coming from your throat.  ENT's can only see so much themselves without the use of a CT scan of your sinuses, so I feel they commonly misdiagnose or just think it's an 'allergic reaction' or a bacterial infection.  So they'll prescribe you some antibiotics, which won't do anything as the infection is most likely viral or fungal if it's a chronic infection.  And they'll give you allergy medication which won't do anything because it's not an allergic reaction.  They may also give you asthma or, like you said, acid reflux, medication which also doesn't do squat.

Sinusitis is an inflammatory condition, so you need to take anti-inflammatory medication.  Luckily, the 3rd ENT I saw after I had the same symptoms as you knew how to treat it, and after my CT scan, gave me 70mg of a shot of Kenalog-40.  This shot was simply miraculous.  After so much crap I had tried and medications I had taken, this shot (an anti-inflammatory shot) allowed my sinuses to drain properly and allowed me to finally talk without hoarseness as the mucus was no longer sliding down my throat, getting caught on my vocal chords.

If you want to go the natural route (which I had looked up before getting cured by my 3rd ENT), take fatty acid pills, filled with Omega 3's & 6's oils, and a Bromelain supplement.  Both have natural anti-inflammatory properties.  For Omega fatty acids, take 2-7 grams (2000-7000mg) a day during meals.  For Bromelain, take 500 mg 3/day in between meals (absorbs better if not consumed w/ food).  Try to cut out eating meat and dairy for awhile as they can cause inflammation.

I've also heard from people that have had chronic sinusitis, that the Neti Pot/Squeeze bottle works.  But, instead of the using the packets that they come with (which are just salt and baking soda), you should use Xlear as that contains xylitol in addition to the salt and baking soda.  What xylitol does is help kill off fungi, viruses, and bacteria in your nose.

You can also take some homeopathy medication.  The ones that might apply to this situation are Antimonium Tartaricum (a master of coughs and stubborn mucus, can help when the sinuses, or any part of the respiratory system, are full), Hyrastis (best known for yellow ropy mucus following colds that clog sinuses and when draining, can get stuck in the throat passage), or Kali Bichromicum (applies when thick, yellow-green, stringy mucus clogs the sinuses, blocks nasal passages, lines the throat and lungs, and may fill the ears as well).

I've learned a lot from the guy in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZGk6IThfY

The lecture is long but he goes on to explain all sorts of other treatments of sinusitis that are helpful for different people.  Hope this helps someone!
I too am a singer & had a cold over a month ago with a lot of congestion. I took Nyquil often which seemed to help a lot, but I ended up with laryngitis for a couple of weeks, which for a singer, not being able to sing or talk for that matter is pretty devastating! I finally am able to speak again, but my voice still cracks when I get to a certain level & my singing is still not happening for the most part! I can't even hum without difficulty & forget about hitting the high notes! My sister is a voice teacher & said I must have acid reflux, but I've never had a problem with that before. I've been waking up with a sore throat, our weather here in the San Diego area has been unusually hot & dry lately, and I don't drink enough water. I do drink milk often though & apparently have a problem with phlegm on my vocal chords. I may try Mucinex, I actually bought some recently & was going to try & see if it helps my problem. Help! I need to sing!
My throat mucus problem started with bronchitis 3 months ago, and I still have a choking, coughing fit problem a few times a day from a "tickle" still in my chest. I also have vocal cord mucus almost constantly, along with voice hoarseness after coughing or clearing my throat. It feels like the mucus is made right in the vocal cords because my nose is clear front and back and no mucus is being produced in my chest. Lemon juice in hot water is the only thing that helps temporarily, but nothing has worked to solve the problem for good.

As with everyone else it seems, my ENT first scripted steroids, then acid reflux pills(omeprazole). Neither helped solve the problem. I truly hope that time is not the only healer for this, as it has already gone on for 3 months and interferes greatly with life enjoyment. It is great we have this forum, as what cures for one may also help others.

I had a thick mucusy feeling in my vocal chords for some time, making me sound hoarse and breathy and a constant feeling of needing to clear my throat. A camera showed nothing significant, just some reddening.  

I had had this condition some years ago and hunted up the recommended treatment.

Sip small amounts of water over the day, perhaps amounting to a half to one litre in total and hum - mmmmmm about medium pitch - and yawn as often as you can manage when you are on you own.

It took a few weeks but it has seemed to work for me, for now!

Best of luck, I hope it works for you.

Richard
Hi, i have same problem with thick mucus blocking my vocal cord always and makes very difficult to talk clearly. I cough alves to clear the mucus from throat before i talk and this has become an habit and i been experiencing this nearly an year now if i am correct :(

Though i consulted couple of ENTs, the first doctor suggested for tonsillitis treatment and the second doctor said it's coz of allergy and prescribed some allergy medicine.

I reduced intake of dairy products and tried some natural ways (lemon, honey) but din't help much.

After going thru this forum and your suggestions above, i feel some hope to come out from this problem. Can you please suggest the mucinex dosage that i need take (any particular quantity i.e., mg?, how many tablets in a day and for how long) or any other anti-inflamatory tablets which can cure this without any side effects.

It's really great we have this forum, where people can share their problems and solutions.

Thanks all and hope to find some permanent solution...
Hi Sululu, did Mucinex help you in clearing your throat?
Help. I am sick of this mucus in my throat and nose and indigestion.  I have had every test available and nothing.  I am not allergic to anything they have found.  My immune system is working well but I still have this.  I clear my throat all the time and cannot talk.  I am off dairy. That didn't work.  I'll try anything.  I am not on Allegra and acid reducer which are not working.