Ear, Nose & Throat Community
foul smell from nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

foul smell from nose

I have a foul smell coming out of my nose for years now, had all the scans, xrays, treatment, sprays etc but still the condition persists. It has ruied my relationship and i cannot seem to go beyond the first date with a guy. People avoid sitting near me or being in the same room as me, it so embarrassing and make me feel low and depressed that i avoid gong out
how you know its from your nose and not your mouth coming through your nose...? do you use listerine?
i have had all the treatment and investigation regarding my mouth including dental appointment, ears nose and throat specialist who feel that its not my mouth but could find out what the cause is apart from the smell is coming from my nose. Also ex-partners and friends state its coming from my nose. I've tried everything had ex rays scan etc and no one seems to know the solution. I feel it something stemming for deeper than that, from my gut maybe. I need an expert to tell what could be the cause and to find a solution
Your problem is remarkably common on this forum, so at least you know that you are not some kind of freak.  All I can tell you is some of the things I've noted here, with no guarantees.
1.  Some people, including myself, have had a smell that only they can smell.  It could smell like dog-poop, old cheese, ammonia, a burning smell, etc.  The smell comes on, often, as a result of a cold or sinus infection. Some, not all, of these smells are caused by an anaerobic bacteria thriving in the upper sinuses, and I was able to remove mine with a Flip-Turn Sinus Flush, and many other people have had success with it as well:

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground, or you can kneel down and lean over a bathtub, or perhaps a plastic basin or tub, with the shower running for steam.

2.  Some people had the smell, but were able to get rid of it with long-term antibiotics.
3.  Some people had cysts or polyps, which blocked off parts of their sinuses, and created a pocket of infection.  One woman, after reading my journal, made an appointment with Dr. Murray Grossan, who invented the Grossan Irrigation Machine, and he removed her cyst and the smell went away.
4.  One man did a sinus flush, and some white tofu-like chunks came out.  The smell actually got worse for a while, then went back to normal.
5.  Many people, particularly the ones who have a strong odor that other people are revolted by, had no change at all after doing a Sinus Flush.
6.  One woman found out that the smell was coming from a cracked tooth that her dentist was unable to find, but was discovered by a different dentist.
7.  Some smells can come from liver or kidney diseases, or from acid reflux in the stomach-- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or gas from the stomach-- laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR)
8.  Some smells can come from having a bad mix of bacteria in the intestines, and somehow the smell comes out through the sinuses or lungs.  The best solution that I have seen is The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein, MD.
9.  There is a disease called atrophic rhinitis, which involves the decay of the mucus membranes in the sinuses.  I don’t know much about it, that’s what ENTs and Google are for.
10.  There are people who have been to multiple ENTs, and the doctors are completely mystified.
11.  There may be a possibly be a fungal infection, possibly invasive, that doesn’t flush out with saline, but that’s just a hypothesis.
12. Another hypothesis: Some of the problems may be caused by the same kind of bacteria that cause tonsilloliths, or tonsil stones.
13.  Finally, some patients have doctors who have diagnosed a yeast infection in the gut, which cause the smell which comes out through the sinuses or breath, and prescribed Fluconazole 150mg.  This looks somewhat promising, but Fluconazole must be administered by a doctor at any rate.  Here is the Medhelp thread for that:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Bad-smell-coming-from-noseFound-a-Cure-Yayyyy/show/520721

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Weird-Smell-in-my-Nasal-passage-will-not-go-away/show/1080376

For some more information about the fungus, put the following in your search engine.  
“Fungal Theory Debated in Amphotericin B Controversy”
Good luck