Ear, Nose & Throat Community
foul smell in right nostril

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

foul smell in right nostril

hi, ive had this foul smell coming from my right nostril for about a year now. at the same time, mucus between my nose and throat have been thick and unmovable, at times gagging me. I've have tried nasal sprays and decongestants, but the effects were minimal and temporary. A week ago, I started suffering from symtoms (symptoms) od a cold, including a runny nose. When i blow out my nose, the mucus from my right nostril is thick, greenish and extremely smelly, however, the mucus from the left is normal watery and transparent. The foul smell in my nose has become worse with the onset of the runny nose, and im practically living with the stink 24/7. At times when i manage to force the mucus down my throat, i can taste its bitterness and thickness. This is still on-going, anyone can help??
Dee -
It truly sounds like you have had a bad sinus infection for some time now. you'll need really strong antibiotics and possibly a dose of prednisone (maybe not the antibiotics may be enough) You should not have to live like this. Go to your Dr for the antibiotic rx asap!
tks..have an appt with a doc later this mth... god the smell is still around... and i gagging all the time...
Ive had that same problem all my life and it never goes away and I have never been able to smell. Let me know what your ent suggest.
1 more day to my ENT appointment.. will update u soon...
well i went for my ENT apptment today, they did a probe and found some nasal polyps adjacent to my right mid meatus, they think i may have fungal sinusitis, so they referred me to another clinic to do a CT scan, and perhaps surgery to remove the polyps. this is where the smell is coming from...
hi, i have had this smell in my nose and throat, i can actually taste it constantly, i have had antibiotics but done nothing (for sinusitis) it is like a chemical smell really bad i cant eat properly or i feel like im going to be sick the smell is that bad. does anyone have any ideas thanks
I HAVE A BITTER SMELL IN MY RIGHT NOSTRIL AND RUNNY NOSE VERRY WATERY CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS.

THANKS BOO
I too have had the same problem with my nose  - has your problem resolved with treatment ? Was it polyps in the end ? I hae been to an ENT 3 years ago - problem  still there - so I guess I should persue this problem . and seek a resolution. Look forward to  hearing about your final outcome. Paula
i smoke and have had a sulpher smell in both nostrils for a week now, i changed brands to no avial?

Any help???