Ear, Nose & Throat Community
having tonsils removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

having tonsils removed

Hi just been to see ENT doctor and yes of course i forgot to ask him questions that i am worried about and I also would like a second opinion on wheather its worth taking them out at all. so i will start at the begining. I always suffered with tonsilitus scince i was a kid it was worse then but it seem to settle down the last ten years I would get tonsil stones on a regular basis but no pain. Antill two months ago i came down with a almighty bout of tonsilitus , puss at the back of throat i couldn't eat drink sleep even soft foods like ice cream were a real problem so I went to the doctors on a emergency opponitment and i saw the nurse at the surgery where she confirmed i had tonsilitus. she also told me that my tonsilis are very big and to book a normal appointment to see the Gp when things have settled down. So 5 painfull days later i rebooked and my doctor confimed my tonsils were indeed large, I mentioned to him i have not had tonsilitus in qwite a whlie and he said that if i had no other problems with it there is nothing they can do. Antill he looked on my notes and saw that i have been treated for sleep apnea and that i am currently using CPAP , so i asumming he linked this to gether with breathing prob' s at night and refured me to ENT. So i went to the ENT doctor he took one look at them and said they have to come out. Well i have never had a operation so its taken me a while to adjust and whey all the facts up and now i am REALLY WORRIED.

1: How am i supposed to use CPAP after op when you are supposed to keep your throat moist

2: I have herd people die from this operation, why when i thought it was a routine operation.

3: Can big tonsilis cause dizzyness i herd it can mess with your hearing and affect balance.

4: Im also that my wieght might have a affect on op aswell as smoking believe me i have tryed to qwit. by the way 16 1/2 stones male

basicly i have a new child on the way and i have developed a new sence of worring about everything (all parents will understand) so the last thing i want is to peg it for having my tonsilis out STUPID i know, but i just read somthing on a web site 1 in 3 people die from the operation. have i been miss informed any help on this matter would be much appreciated. soz for spelling..  
I had enlarged tonsils when i was younger and had tonsilitious yearlly, i had to have them removed when i was 16 and it made a world of difference. the surgery was fine and routine, but you will hurt for a few days. i have sleep apnea and chronic sinusitius, and i beleive they are connected. you need to check your adnoids also, enlarged adnoids are also a common factor with large tonsils, these problems block both of your airways and causes hard breathing and sometimes faintness. if you haven't already, invest in a good vapororizer.
yes i have a humidafire that joins on to machine but i still have a really dry throat in the morning not that it bothers me now but if i have the op it will proberly be really painfull if it gets to dry. when you had your op for tonsilis removed did they remove adnoids at the same time or is that seperate thing.. thanks for your help