Ear, Nose & Throat Community
hearing heartbeat in ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

hearing heartbeat in ear

Hi! Im a 48 yr old female...was at my ENT Dr a year ago for ringing in ears. Had very thorough ear exam, and hearing test. We did discuss my hearing my heartbeat occasionally in my ear, and he pretty much dismissed it as nothing (after examining me). I was diagnosed with Tinnitus, the ringing...hissing...told me to just live with it, and I have.
Its been a year now. Last night, out of nowhere, I was sitting here at the computer, I felt pressure in my left ear--and I could hear my heartbeat. Pretty loudly, just in the left ear. Im thinking..what the heck?? Well, it continued off and on till I went to bed. Woke up this morning...yep, its back...a swooshing sound in time to my heartbeat. Weird! I got up, showered, working around the house...it went away. I sit down here at the computer, it comes back, then disappears. So, its sporadic. Of course, I Google this, and come up with scary scenarios..pulsatile tinnitus...
About 3 yrs ago, I did have a brain MRI for migraines, that was clear...and like I said a year ago, my ENT listened to my carotids and was not too concerned about my being able to hear my heartbeat in my ear.
Anybody think this is something I should go back to the Dr for? I AM going through a very, very stressful long-term situation in my life, but I dont know how stress could cause this to just start up. Like I said, I do have a bit of pressure in that ear, and just the very slightest bit of pain, but no dizziness or any other symptoms....
The symptoms you mentioned ressembles myoclonus. Type it on google for more detail.  
I think you posted on the wrong post...i definatly do not have myoclonus.... ???
Yes, I think you should go back to the doctor. They might want to do an MRA (like an MRI except they are looking at your blood vessels). You should get it checked out in any case.
This is a symptom that should be checked out by a doctor.  It's called pulsatile tinnitus and has many possible causes. Some causes are difficult to find and treat, but don't give up! Do an online search for "whooshers" for more information.  Also, there are tips there from other "whooshers" about how to deal with the annoying heartbeat sound.  Good luck