Ear, Nose & Throat Community
hearing problems and balance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

hearing problems and balance

Does loss of hearing cause loss of physical balance?
i would think so...buddies dad has that..go see an ent about it or your gp
Your loss of balance could be caused by Menierre's disease which is a combination of ear related issues. Symptoms might include hearing loss, balance issues, vertigo, and tinnitus. Be sure to visit and ENT and have it checked out.
For more information check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9ni%C3%A8re's_disease
Oh, and be careful driving!
Hearing loss does NOT affect physical balance.  I was born totally deaf myself, and have never had any problems learning how to walk, run, or balance items.  I've grown up with hundreds of others, and they've never had that problem.  If you do, it's usually associated with what ox9 said.  Hearing loss ALONE doesn't do the balance in - a combination of that with more symptoms does.
You bet it does.  I wa diagnosed with idiopatic sensoriureal (sudden hearing loss) and I have been scheduled for intense physical therapy.  The hearing in my left ear disappeared 100% overnight without warning.  I was so dizzy I was nauseated.  My balance was thrown off to the point where I had to hold on to the walls to walk.  It has been 3 weeks now and I am getting better but I have to take valium 3 times a day.  I am hoping the physical therapy will help so I can quit the valium asap.  Good luck
Me too after an assault i to lost my hearing in my left ear very suddenly and i was extrememly off balance as if i was spinning it made me quite nauseas It happened 2months ago but i have been told there is nothing anyone can do for me i also have this awful tinnitus which is so distressing especially at night when i need to sleep.
I think if your born deaf you know no different but when you have had hearing then lose it in either ear it affects your balance in different degrees
the Type of deafness that you have determines if you have a loss of balance or not.
there is no "cookie cutter" picture of a hearing impaired or deaf person. that is why we are so misunderstood.
I had sudden hearing loss , total deafness right ear & partial deafness left ear & Always have the balance issue. If I am ever in total darkness , there is no up or down , no left or right...always have a flashlight !
Every time I stand up or sit or turn my head, or get in a car. The simple act of walking is just hell. People will say "take a walk , you'll feel better" ..nope it makes me feel worse, and only makes the balance worse. It is called residual labrynthitis , and it's related to the nerve center in your ear connecting to the 8th cranial nerve in your brain.
Please explain your condition to those close to you , it's not your fault this happened so they should be patient with you. Car drives will be tolerable on some days, on others just pure hell like a fair ride going backwards .
Your vision will help you to accomodate for what you have lost sensory wise in your hearing & balance. Your other senses will become enhanced..smell , taste , touch , they all get very intense !

If you need to message me I have a myspace account .  Myspace name is deafsinger.
Myspace.com/deafsinger/

There is a lot of mis-information floating on this thread.

Does hearing loss cause balance issues?

It really depends on the cause of the hearing loss, or one could also say it depends on the cause of the balance issues....  either way they can be related or they can not be related.

Crazy answer I know, but just remember the cochlea is designed to do 2 things, transduce sound, and to assist in ballance.  Sometimes whatever caused the hearing loss will also affect the balance portion of the cochlea...  but in most cases, hearing loss does not have any affect on the balance mechanisim.

That said, balance is (in my opinion) a very misunderstood mechanisim in the health care industry, but it is getting more and more interest as of late as the elderly population is expanding. Sadly it is getting attention from folks in the health care industry that have really no qualifications to be involved in it in the first place.  Every one from chiropractors, physical therapists, ocupational therapists, audiologists, to ENTs are are now getting involved in the area of balance.  I think the reason why so many fields are claiming it to be within their scope of practice is because balance has been a very neglected topic for so long, everyone is becoming a self proclaimed expert.

I think PT-s are very qualified, although they have zero training in the anatomy and physiology of the ear.... but they are more prone to give "therapy" where as other fields want quick results.

Just my two cents,

AuD ccc-a