Ear, Nose & Throat Community
inner ear infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

inner ear infection

hi i went to the doctor on monday with dizziness, disorientation, white noise in my ears and nausea.  he said i had an inner ear infection and gave me prochlorperazine and told me to take 4 a day.  I have been doing that and it has  reduced the nausea but i still feel dizzy and disorientated to the degree that i find it hard to leave a sitting down position and can't work.  Is this normal? How long will this last for?
Google "vestibular neuritis". Maybe this is what the doctor thinks you have. Most cases clear up in a few days or a few weeks; they can't really predict.

What's important is that once you are able to tolerate some activity, get on your feet. After an injury to the inner ear, the brain needs to "compensate", and it can only do that if it's getting sensory input through activity. Don't make yourself TOO dizzy, but after the acute dizziness passes, try to return to your normal activities slowly but surely. As you feel better and better, increase your activity level.

Don't worry, you'll probably be fine within a matter of weeks, maybe less! Good luck.