Ear, Nose & Throat Community
inner ear problem or chronic daily headaches?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Here are my symptoms.  I have a chronic feeling of pressure in my head.  It makes me feel lightheaded and when it is at its worst, it really makes me feel lightheaded.  I can rarely get through a workout because the lighteadedness gets so bad.  

After extensive tests (MRI, CT scan, ENT specific tests, blood work), it was determined that I had a perilymph fistula.  I never experience true vertigo, so I dont fall into the category of perilymph fistula, but I went along with what the doctors said and had surgery on both inner ears.  I didnt get better right away, although through time I got to the point where the headaches/lightheaded feeling was almost non-existent.  Whether it was the surgery or not I dont know.

Well in September 2006, I was wathcing TV and all of the sudden I had this split second blackout feeling.  Periodically that would re-occur.  Really wierd feeling.  But after the first blackout feeling, the head pressure came back again and is now really bad.

I have been to a world renowned headache specialist who diagnosed me with "new daily persistent headache" (NDPH), although he couldnt explain the lighteaded feeling.  And the lightheaded feeling should not get worse with physical activity.

I am not saying that I do not have NDPH, but I wanted to see if what my problem truly was had something to do with my inner ear?  Could you have an inner ear problem with out getting true vertigo and with the symptoms I described above?

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!    
Hi, yes here is a breakdown of perilymph fistula. Where you in a accident I find it odd they did surgery to both ears? Usualy in my case I had a cold and went on a airplane.
It pluged (plugged) up my ears, I took a shower and blew my nose, I heard a pop in left ear. When I woke up in the mouring I felt off balance, but not the true spinning sensation they like to say you should have, they also say your hearing should drop dramaticaly, there wrong too, my hearing is barely effected. So my symptoms are off balance sensation, wet feeling in ear, burning irratated sensation in ear and also iratting throat from fluid dripping or running down eustachian tube, sensitive to loud noise, eyes sensitive to light, headaches, these are the major symptoms I have, it sucks big time. I had surgery and the doctor was able to see a fractured stapes footplate with fluid leaking out into middle ear. Oh ya you will have a fullness sensation in your ear that is leaking off and on. If you have a perilymph fistula you should be able to tell that the problem is coming from your inside ear area. If you are having pressure headaches with lightheadness and none of the symptoms I am having sounds like your doctors are way off base, I have meet many doctors that dont have a clue about any of this. Let me know if any of this sounds like your problem. Good luck you will need it, oh and alot of money too!