Ear, Nose & Throat Community
is the nasendoscope clean??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

is the nasendoscope clean??

Hi I have to go for another nasendoscopy to check on my larynx, but last time I went the ENT consultant used an unprotected scope from a tray on his desk. He didn't clean it at all before he put it up my nose and down my throat, and then he put it straight back in the same tray! He didn't wipe it, clean it, or use any kind of sterile sheath, and the fact that it was put back in the same tray (which contained several similar unsterile scopes) implies that it was going to be used again on the next person to come in. In fact he didn't even wash his hands. Can this be right? I didn't mention it at the time as was too worried about the procedure, but having thought about it I want to insist on a clean one - surely there could be staph A, swine flu virus or pretty much anything lurking on that scope? I've read one article that said infection was unlikely through mucus membranes, but seen many more that say a sterile sheath and alcohol wipe is the minimum required for cleaning a nasendoscope between patients. In any case, the idea of someone else's mucus in my throat is not a pleasant one, whether it's infectious or not! Would appreciate some advice if anyone knows whether I'm over reacting, thanks!