Ear, Nose & Throat Community
lost voice for 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

lost voice for 6 weeks

hi i've recently been to the docs due to hoarse and loss of voice. at first doc told me to stay completely silent for 2 weeks (hard work) with no improvement, now he is sending me for a camera to check the area out. Any ideas on what they will be lookin for. I'm quite nervous and don't know what to expect, I woulld be grateful for any advice. Thanks
Listen to the doc for a diagnosis, and in the meantime Google "functional dysphonia" for some info.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to Vocal abuse, which is due to excessive talking, throat clearing, coughing, inhaling irritants, smoking, screaming, or yelling. Vocal misuse is improper voice usage such as speaking too loudly or at an abnormally high or low pitch. Frequent vocal abuse can cause temporary or permanent changes in vocal function, voice quality, and possible loss of voice. This can be diagnosed by a throat examination.

Other structural abnormalities like vocal nodules, vocal polyp and sometimes contact ulcers on the vocal cords need to be ruled out with further investigations.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.