Ear, Nose & Throat Community
lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

lump

Hello, I have found a lump under my mouth, which is right below my gums by my jaw.  What can possibly be there that would be a lump?  It has me worried....I have an appt for the ENT soon but it is driving me nuts.  Any suggestions would help.  Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The swelling could be a salivary gland enlargement, namely the submandibular gland or an enlarged lymph node. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. Only a consultation with your doctor can help diagnose the cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Can there be lymphnodes under the tongue and jaw area?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the swelling is below the tongue and visible in the mouth, its likely to be a salivary gland like the submandibular gland. If the swelling is present along the jaw line, underneath the skin, then they are likely to be lymph nodes. And lymph nodes are usually multiple.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
It is right next to my mandible.