Ear, Nose & Throat Community
lymphnode

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

lymphnode

Hello, have a question regarding my lymphnodes.  i finally had an ultrasound of my right side of my neck.  They stated that the node was around 19mm/9mm/15mm in dimension and that tthere was cortex thickening.  What exactly does that mean?  thanks a bunch!
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Lymph nodes which are less than 1 cm in size are usually non significant. So, it could mean that the node is enlarged, most probably due to an infection. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I have also been having pain on my right side of chin area and neck by that those lymphnodes.  Should I be worried?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Infections can cause swelling and inflammation and this in turn can cause pain. So, please don't worry, as the swelling and inflammation subsides, the pain should resolve. Continue with your medications and  you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.