Ear, Nose & Throat Community
moody42

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

moody42

I am
A 43 year old woman in 2009 I st after having trouble with my head feeling. As if it it swollen lots of pressure in and around it feels as if a band is around head where neck joins dizzy sometimes just have yo lay down well I had sinus surgery . Then last year in December the Dr notice my left tonsil is larger than my right with excess membrane on it in other words a growth the Dr says it does not look like cancer well two Dr have said this but say I need my tonsils removed. So that they can biosy them.  An anyone tell me what this could be or has anyone had the same thing happen to them.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes persistent enlargement of the tonsil can sometimes be due to a lymphoma. It would be worthwhile to see if other lymph groups are enlarged namely, axilla and groin, these can be palpated, the others like those in the chest or abdomen may need a CT to detect their enlargement. Sometimes the tonsil may be removed for histopathological study. So, please have yourself evaluated for this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for responding. See at the moment I do not have any insurance so there are limited things I can have done. I already have accumulated numerous amount of doctors bills. What are the symptoms of lymphma? I feel find right now sometimes I have pain in my neck and ears and my tonsil keeps getting white spots on it. When I take antibiotics it clears it for a while.I pray and hope that is not what is wrong. Could it be anything else.       Thanks you so much for answering me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Its difficult to predict the cause for your symptoms without proper tests being done. Most common cause for white patches is candidiaisis. It is usually caused by candida albicnas, which is a fungal infection. The white patches have a cottage cheese appearance. They can occur as a consequence to throat infection or sometimes steroid inhalers are known to promote their growth. You can try warm salt water gargles and betadine mouthwashes for therapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi, hope you are doing well also . I have tried this but will try again. In 2009 i also had sinus surgery because this is what the ent doctor said i needed. He said he didn't like to remove(tonsil) them in people my age and if they wasn't bothering me i didn't need them removed. At the time they wasn't but in the past i have had lots of tonsil problems. My regular doctor said i needed them removed so i could possible stop using my c-pap machine. And my tonsil was also large. My tonsil did not have this little extra growth on it until after the surgery. I had read some one elses comment about this same thing happening to his tonsil after surgery. I was just wondering could the surgery cause this. I think my regular doctor was right because now I have no insurance and cant get them removed. Thanks
again
In 2009 I had sinus surgery. My tonsils was large but the same size. I have had problems with my tonsils off and on all my life. Then about a year or two later my left tonsil have gotten bigger or at least it has extra membrane on it. Have anyone that had the surgery had this to happpen to them. If please respond and tell me what you found out a out it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Sinus surgery is unlikely to cause tonsillar enlargement. Recurrent tonsillitis iis an indication for tonsillectomy, as the tonsils may harbor the infection which keeps flaring up, or they may develop new infections. The procedure is actually easier to do for an adult as the diameter of the oral cavity is larger. The post-operative care and diet can be similar to that of a child, keep painkillers handy after the surgery. So, don't worry and please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.