Ear, Nose & Throat Community
mucous cyst on tonsil

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

mucous cyst on tonsil

Is it possible for a mucous cyst to grow on a tonsil?  I just took my five year old to the ENT for a large growth on his left tonsil.  He has not been ill and his tonsils are neither swollen or red.  I was told that the large growth is a mucous cyst and that it should "pop" on it's own, but if it doesn't the doc will do it herself.  I completly trust the doc, but I read that mucous cysts only grow on mucous ducts, or whatever they are called.  I was unaware that these mucous ducts are located on lymphatic tissue.  Has anyone ever heard of these cysts growing on a tonsil?
I had a growth on my tonsils at 25 years old.  Looked almost as if I had three tonsils. The ENT decided to do a biopsy and tonsilectomy.  I had never really had any major problems with my tonsils.  
The biopsy should chronic sinus drainage to be the cause of the growth, which I did not realize could cause such a growth.  It was a difficult recovery at 25 years old.  
All three of my boys have now had their tonsils removed.  My middle son just this Christmas break, b/c of chronic tonsilitis and strep throat.  My oldest when he was years old, b/c of chronic ear and throat infections.  Actually intended on him having his adenoids (adenoids) removed, but the ENT found he had a submucal cleft palate.  My youngest son had his removed at 2 years old, due to a long list of issue.  Top of the list was obstructive sleep apnea.  It was amazing the improvement in his overall health.  
Difficult few days for each, but the improvements have been worth it.  My husband wishes his parents had done his as a child.

Gina