Ear, Nose & Throat Community
nasopharnyx bacteria colony

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

nasopharnyx bacteria colony

How can I get rid of a colony of bacteria that has been camping in my nasopharnyx for better then a year now?
Sinupulse irrigation of nose and sinus don't reach this area - throat irrigation doesn't bother it either.  Every couple of months have to go on antibiotics to clear adjacent areas where spill over from the colony occurs.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Best bet would be to have a culture and sensitivity done. Am hoping Diabetes has been ruled out, as this can cause persisting infections. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your post.

No diabetes -- a sample for culture from the nasal area - positive for bacteria (klebsiella oxytoca  &  Staphylococcus aureus).

Have used SULFAMETHOXALOE-TMP-160 TABS, DOXYCYCLINE HYCLATE, & #50 C-MUPIROCIN 5GM IN SAL NASAL spray.  The bacteria suceeds in hiding its core from the antibiotics and recurrence of infection has been constant over the past 15 months.

Also have used Manuka Honey and Betadine rinses.
Is it possible to debride the Nasopharynx?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sometimes for persisting chronic infections after the effective antibiotic course, long term preventive antibiotics are given in low doses to prevent the recurrence of infections. This is given for months to years depending on the clinical condition. You can discuss this with your doctor, he could guide you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Again thank you for your reply.

I will take up long term antibiotic with my doctor.