Ear, Nose & Throat Community
neck/throat swelling on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

neck/throat swelling on left side

Hi, for the past 3 years i have been having this swelling sensation on the left side of my neck/throat. its inernally and i feel like its swollen or something swells up and its kinda hard to describe but i have it everyday and its worse after eating. no matter what i eat. it only happens on the left side of my neck/throat. i think it does swell cause it feels very uncomfortable and i don't know what it is. the doctor put his microscope down my throat but didnt see anything, he says he wants me to have a barium swallow done to check for zenkers diverticulem. could i have that for 3 years though? would it cause my symptoms? also it feels better when i take an antihistamine but not 100 percent. my other symptoms are daily facial flushing but i don't think its related im also being tested for carcinoid for that. i was thinking it was angioedema? any thoughts?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to zenker's diverticulum, more so as it is one sided and it is present for a long duration. Angioedema is swelling of the deeper layers of the skin due to an allergic reaction. The reaction occurs more commonly on the face around the lips and near the eyes. And this is usually visible, so it is unlikely to be due to angioedema. Your symptoms can also happen due to iron deficiency anemia causing Plummer-Vinson syndrome, where there changes to the soft lining of the throat. This can be detected by a simple blood test. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thank you so much i will look into that