Ear, Nose & Throat Community
never ending cold?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

never ending cold?

Since Jan 6th I have had constant head-nose-throat-chest congestion/coughing etc. Have been to the drs twice,put on arethomycin(sp?)for 10 days, a Z-pack antibotic (antibiotic),cough syrup w/ codine/expectorant and many over the counter cold/sinus/allergy medicines and nothing works. Over the 5 weeks the head/nose goes from congestion so bad I can't sleep to nonstop runny/blowing nose that keeps me awake all night. I have gone through 4 boxes of kleenex in past 24 hrs. Discharge is mostly clear although sometimes there is some thicker, yellish discharge. Aches around forehead and eyes when congestion is real bad. Throat/chest: no sore throat but cough which ranges from hacking coughing streaks (which wake me up at night),to simply coughing to get up whatever feels like is in my throat/chest. Little or nothing comes up and what does is small thick and yellowish. Rarely, I feel well enough to do stuff despite the congestion,sneezing, coughing, etc. Other times I feel like I have the flu, w/ body & joint aches, fatigue & a general feeling lousy. Have had no fever and temp in the 97's even when I feel like I have a fever. I have little or no sense of smell/limited taste. During times when I feel terrible like you do when you have a fever and the flu I have some minor nausea also. After 5 weeks I am just tired of being sick. I have no energy and the constant fighting of whatever I have is wearing me down. I have an appointment with an eye/ear/throat doctor the end of next week. Any ideas of what this is or suggestions for treating it would be appreciated. Thanks.
hi..i am thinkin u probably have some type of sinus infection. if u had the flu u would probably have a fever which u don't. good luck with your appt. that is definitly the route to go...
I have had a sore throat and on and off cold symptoms since January 4. Doc says this not uncommon for this cold winter we are having(Boston area). He told me not to worry about it. I normally get over colds in less than a week. Some viruses last this long the Doc said. I'm waiting patiently(not very).
Heya. Well, what can i say.. Yoo've summed me up!!

Thats how i have been feeling for the past 16 years until recently where i'm getting better.

Basicaly, i have nasal polyps. They are grape-like swellings in the sinus' and sometiems throat. They just constantly drip and give me cold/flu-like symptoms 24.7

I'm not saying htis is what you have but it's sounds similar to me!

If you have this, then (depending on age/sex etc) you will probs be given nasal spray (didnt work for me), steroids maybe (didn't work for me!) and at a last resort a Polypectomy would be performed. (I have to have one every 2 years as I'm 16 and the polyps grow back within that time).

I do hope this isn't what yoo have!!

Tell me what the ENT say!

Katie
xx
My mum has had this for a couple of months, coughing, sneezing, headaches.. etc.. sha has been to the doctors a couple of times but they do not know what it is. she has a head injury from falling down the stairs, she damaged her brain.. we think that is what is causing it because of the nerves.. she has not been able to smell and taste anything since this head injury. I am really worried about her :( does anyone have any ideas of what it is or what to do?

thanks, Chloe x
I've had this awful cold for roughly two weeks.  The symptoms you've described are exactly the symptoms I am continuously suffering from.  A physician friend took a look at me and prescribed the Z-pack.  I'm on day two and feeling no better.  I thought perhaps bronchitis...but that seems unlikely given my lack of phlegm and the non-concerning coloration of the mucus that I do manage to extract from my chest.  Either way, I hoped the antibiotic might help.
I wish I could be of more helpful.  The only light I can offer on the subject is the reassurance from many friends and acquaintances who have been afflicted with a seemingly similar illness, with the length and exhausting gravity this one has taken on, and have come out on the other side right as rain.
I'm usually a patient person, however this illness is greatly affecting my life, so, like you, I am just as eager to eradicate it from my body.
Good luck.  Water, OJ, Kombucha, Vitamin B Complex, Niacin, Vitamin D, and rest.  Oh, and according to an Irish friend of mine...boiling milk (or in my case almond milk) with half an onion floating in it, face down (so the flat surface is submerged in the milk.  After the liquid reaches optimal temperature (boiling) remove the onion, prepare the milk in a glass or mug and chug away.  He swears by it.  I haven't been so brave...but at this point I'm seriously considering it.

Feel Better!
Did you find out what it was? ...
Hi - I have same thing...exactly!! Been on the same antibiotics, done all of the vitamins, doing a detox regime, changed my diet, had my furnace and all air ducts cleaned, disinfect my house throughly at least once every 2 weeks...nothing is working. I have been sick since 9/07/10. DR thinks its in my head...I have been to 2 different DR.  

What did your DR say?