Ear, Nose & Throat Community
otosclerosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

otosclerosis

I was recently told I had otosclerosis in my ears. I don't hear in my right ear for about 20 years and was told back then, it was a dead nerve, probably from an ear infection or loud noises.  I recently went to a ENT Dr. because I have been having crackling noises in my left ear constantly for several months, worse at night.  (sounds like a electric bug zapping machine- you use in your yard to kill bugs).  After a hearing test, I was told after 20 years an operation can help my hearing in my right ear.  Something to do with the 3 bones in my ear, possibly heredity.  Anyway, I plan on going for a 2nd opinion.  The noise in my left ear (also have lost some hearing) is a cause from the otosclerosis.  Same thing happening in my left ear.  Not sure about that myself, as I did not have this symptom when I lost the hearing in my right ear.  Has anyone out there had this otosclerosis and the operation for it.?
-6 Comments Post a Comment
I hope you google otoschlerosis, because really this site is not going to cover the vast amount of info. that is out there about this condition.

But I will tell you some things your doctor will not tell you.  The surgery will not restore your hearing to normal levels, period. A very large percentage if not all, people with serious cases of otoschleroses eventually end up wearing hearing aid/s. The positive surgical effects usually dry up after about 7 years, and you will need to have the surgery again or buy a hearing aid at that time. The money your ENT earns from the surgery will go toward the deposit on his wife's new BMW.

But other than that, there is not much to know.

No really, take your time, investigate what is really going on. I suspect you have otocschlerosis with a cochlear invasion.  Meaning that otoschlerosis started in the middle ear and has migrated to the inner ear. NO surgery can fix the inner ear invasion, and NO surgery will restore full function of the middle ear. I would agree that there will be some noticeable benifit, but do not expect a miracle.

Good luck
Hi Nori,
About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Otosclerosis too.  It caused gradual hearing loss in my right ear until it got to the point at age 23 I had moderate/severe hearing loss in that ear.  Hearing loss in one ear can be extremely frustrating especially in the mid "voice" ranges characteristic of otosclerosis.  I found it hard to hear in crouded and noisy areas and would often just tune people out instead of focusing so much energy on listening.

I'm in the military so surgery was given as an option on the government's dime and I took it.  The surgery was rough, I had vertigo for 2 weeks and couldn't drive.  However, I could hear great out of both of my ears aftewards.  8 months later the prostesis (titanium bone) failed and moved out of position.  I now have a permanent hole in my ear drum and cannot dip my head under water without pain or fear of an ear infection.

If given a choice again, I would have declined surgery.  I now have a hearing aid (to even things up) but my right ear is permanently damaged.

If you do opt for surgery, don't be shy about asking a doctor's credentials.  This surgery isn't done very often anymore since most water contains flouride now ( I grew up on well water) and many doctors simply don't have the experience to do it (and may be quick to try to get "practice" in on a patient).  I wish you the best and please follow up to let us know how things went!
I am also surviving with same problem. Much worried and desperate. Please do read comments of Nancy T in Hearing loss community and web sites referred me by him on Otoclerosis. Afzaal.