Ear, Nose & Throat Community
pain behind ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

pain behind ears

Hi,i m 17 ears old and i've been getting pain behind my ears since my childhood.In my childhood it was more adverse as i use to get feverish.Now i don't get feverish but the pain behind my ear( lower part of ear which is softer)and it really hurts ,even sometimes i can feel pain while i talking or eating and even when i m sleeping on that ear's side.At often the pain shoot up high for a second and it becomes unbearable.I consulted a doctor but he says it's expansion of tonsils but i don't feel so.... Kindly inform me about the problem and guide me to the medication it requires..
It could be caused by your tonsils...if they are swollen.
Your sinuses could be causing the problem as well.
TMJ seems the most likely culprit though.
Do you know if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw while you sleep?
Do you do this while awake?

You could try a chiropractor to set your jaw...see if it helps. A chiropractor or a dentist will also be able to tell you if it's TMJ.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to a middle ear infection, which spreads to the mastoid bone behind the ears. It could also be due to a swollen lymph node. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.