Ear, Nose & Throat Community
pain in mastoid area/area behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

pain in mastoid area/area behind ear

my then 11 yr old daughter suffered from ear problems since an early age.  At the age of 11 she had a massive ear infection which required hospital treatment.  This left her with excruiating pain behind both ears but to her feels as if internal.  Treatment was various antiepilespsy drugs which had horrendous side effects.  We rejected these and the pain became sporadic and managable - until now.  She is now 14 and for the last 10 days has been suffering from pain which is even worse than before.  Have spent all day in a and e and just been sent home with pain killers which don't even take the pain away.  We don't even have a diagnosis.  Have been through ent, maxfax and have an appointment with neurology on 1st dec but this is not helping the pain.  Has anyone got any ideas?  If you think the system/medics aren't brilliant over there, think yourself lucky you don't live in the UK.  Would really appreciate any help.  Deb
You must be somewhere in a British system to call it A&E (in America we call it the ER).

Gee, Ear Nose Throat, Maxillo-orofacial surgery, couldn't help, that's too bad.

Neurology will want to put her back on anti-epileptics since they're helpful for chronic pain.

Good luck!
that's what we're afraid of.  Is there a name for her condition? thanks
Hard to say without knowing more about her history and examining her.

Possibly trigeminal neuralgia, or other chronic pain syndromes
See a Gonstead Chiropractor.The C1 Axis could be the problem.I believe a muscle,from your neck attaches to the mastoid bone.I have been diagnosed with several problems but I could never get anyone to address the constant pain in the right side of my neck,the mastoid bone  and the whole right side of my head.Finally,I went to the chiro,best doctor in the world.It still bothers me some but 2 months ago I cried all the time,and now it has improved by 85%.Also,do look up trigeminal neuralgia her 5th nerve may be damaged,in which case meds may be the only option.Good luck