EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
pain in my throat immediately when I yawn, laugh, sneeze and swallow
by philippe22, Feb 10, 2012

For the last 4 months, I get a pain in my throat. The weird thing is I will get the pain immediately when I yawn, laugh, or sneeze and when I swallow after I yawn, laugh or sneeze. After I swallow once or twice the pain gets a little better but it pretty much stays all day. I think it may just be a muscle problem in my throat, but my doc says it’s not likely. He said the pain would most likely come from the back of my neck not the front. Now, for the last couple weeks it seems to hurt even more. The doctor didn’t find anything! I don’t have strep and the doctor says he sees nothing that isn’t normal. Even sees nothing wrong with my tonsils. He gave me antibiotics last month and nothing has changed. So what could this pain be? should I be worried about something serious “cancer” ? I don’t know what it could be and its making me crazy. Does anyone have any idea what this could be. The pain is located near the glands at the top of my neck and travels to the bottom of my throat and even under my chain at times. Its hard to tell exactly where the pain is coming from because it feels like its off to the side kind of my throat. I have a ENT appointment on the 23rd but I am so tired of the pain. Thanks for any help
Member Comments (5)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Paderla Anitha, DNB Blank, Feb 23, 2012
Hello and hope you are doing well.

An ENT examination may help to rule out any local causes like polyps or tumors that could be causing your symptoms. It can also happen due to iron deficiency anemia causing Plummer-Vinson syndrome, where there changes to the soft lining of the throat. This can cause problems with swallowing. It can be detected by a simple blood test. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
by ang08899, Mar 02, 2012
Hi Philippe,

Did you ever figure this out? I have exactly the same issues, exactly. Of course when you look up those symptoms either throat cancer or muscular neurological diseases come up, all of which are very scary. So I'm worried just like you. Wondering what you've found out or if you've seen any other drs?

by Jared71, Apr 11, 2012
I have the same problem after my vacation to south America. I have this now for two months, same dr results, don't see anything? Contemplating making apt with ENT. Any update with either of you much appreciated? I have exact same pain as described during yawning, and laughing, including pain if i squeeze throat. Seems to start on inside of glands, and is tender most of the way down my neck, and sides of Adams apple. I also have more flem build up than normal. Again, no pain when swallowing, and no visible signs. Already tried antibiotics, and major allergy blood screen with negative results.

I would really appreciate an update from one of you.

Thanks in advance....
by iceman1978, Feb 24, 2013
Do you guys suffer from heartburn or acid reflux?
by mari093240, Sep 02, 2013
MY THROAT HURTS LIKE MAD TOO. I OBSERVED THAT IT HURTS AFTER A DAY OR TWO WHEN I LAUGH SO HARD AND RESISTING FROM MAKING ANY SOUND (BECAUSE I'M ON MY WORK). WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?