Ear, Nose & Throat Community
pain in throat and ear when I swallow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

pain in throat and ear when I swallow

for the last 10 days I have had pain on the right side of my throat when I swallow and in the last few days I have had pain in my ear with it.  About 3 weeks ago I had a semi bad cold with irritated throat, nasal congestio and swollen glands.  My ears were "blocked" for a couple days, too.  I got better and was fine for a week.  Then a week later I started having this throat (and now ear) thing.  It seems to have gotten a bit better but hasn't gone away.  I went to the doctor last Friday (a week ago today) because I thought I might have had a throat infection.  He checked my throat and said it looked red but not infected.  he did a swab which came back negative.  I dont' think he examined my ears but at that time I wasn't really having any ear pain when I swallow.  My throat doesn't feel irritated except when I swallow.  There is some very, very mild ear pain.  The doctor asked me if I had post nasal drip and suggested that if I did (I may have a bit of a post nasal drip) that could be causing it or low humidity.  but that doesn't really explain the ear thing.  I don't seem to be sick and it doesn't seem to be getting worse but it just isn't going away.  It gets worse as the day goes on.  For example, I could wake up and feel like it's getting better but by the end of they day it's worse.     It's Friday so I probably won't be able to see a doc again until Monday at the earliest and, I'll probably go to him just to have him say it's nothing.  Any thoughts?
Tags: irritable
When I said very, very mild ear pain I meant pain that is just there, not necessarily when I swallow.