Ear, Nose & Throat Community
painful, tender lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

painful, tender lump

I have a painful, tender to the touch lump behind my jaw under my left ear. It feels like I have some heat coming from it and it itches a bit. My jaw doesn't click or pop and my ear is fine, no fullness or ache in it. As it's tender, it is painful to even just touch. any ideas or suggestions?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could be enlarged lymph node/nodes. Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few. The swelling and pain could also be due to mastoiditis, which is infection of the bone behind the ear. This happens when there is a middle ear infection, which spreads to involve the mastoid bone. Please consult your primary care physician. In the meantime you can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.