Ear, Nose & Throat Community
perforated sinus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

perforated sinus

During a root canal on my upper left tooth, the sinus was perforated (#14). The pain was sharp and quite severe. The dentist continued with the proceedure as though I did'nt have tears running out my left eye. As he irrigated the tooth with what I have recently found out to be NaOCl & Chx, I had a drowning sensation and was tasting a bitter taste as I tryed to swallow what was going through my nose & throat. The asst. put a temporary crown and sealed the tooth off. As soon as she removed everything from my mouth so I could talk I jumped up and ask for water so I could take a advill as I told her I has never felt such pain in my life. I went to the restroom to try to get some of the awful tasting liquid from my nose & throat and when I returned to my chair the dentist was there waiting for me and at that time tould me he had perforated my sinus and it was no big deal. The next day I bent over to retreive my dog's toy from the entertainment center and liquid shot out of the left side of my nose and made a small puddle on the floor. I called the dentist, but he did'nt seem to believe me as he began to explain how many CC's he used and so forth. This happened five months ago and I had to have the tooth removed by a oral surgeon about two weeks after the perforation. My problem is that I constantly have facial swelling on the left side along with lots of pain in my jaw. I still have the shooting pain as though the sinus is being perforated over & over. My nose even bleeds small amounts at random times on the left side only. Could these problems be a result of the irragation solutions getting into my sinuses? If so what treatment would I seek? ( I have went to Urgentcare when the swelling has gotten worse and cortisone shots give a lot of relief!!)