Ear, Nose & Throat Community
persistant tonsil stones/ lump in throat (behind tongue)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

i have suffered with a feeling of a lump in my throat for atleast 3 years now and my GP says theres nothing there, I have now been suffering constant (large) tonsil stones, swollen tonsils, constant ear infections and whenever i lie down i get a blocked nose. i spoke to my GP about the tonsil stones and he said that all he could say was to continue pulling them out myself.. they are driving me crazy and the doctor keeps fobbing me off ( not doing anything about it).. any suggestions of what i can do/ what i can take to get rid of this problem.....

the problem seemed to start 3 years ago when i got the worst throat infection ive ever had and it lasted about 8 weeks and things have never been right since. please help

also forgot to mention my tongue is now turning yellow at the back ( like it has a yellow coating) the rest of the tongue is fine
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
These symptoms could also be due to any infection or due to tonsilloliths, also known as tonsil stones which are clusters of calcified material that form in the crevices of the tonsils. These are trapped rotting food in mucus. Tonsilloliths cause bad breath, sore throat, white debris, difficulty in swallowing and tonsillar swelling. You’re your symptoms it seems you are suffering from tonsilloliths . In the meantime try salt water gargles. You may try using chlorhexidine mouth wash it has antibacterial properties but prolonged use may cause temporary staining of the mouth and tongue. It is best to see an ENT surgeon and take treatment for tosillolith.If the tonsil stones are exceedingly large and symptomatic, it may be necessary for a surgeon to remove them. Consult an ENT specialist for correct diagnosis and treatment.
Best luck and regards!