Ear, Nose & Throat Community
phantom smells and altered taste

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

phantom smells and altered taste

I have developed these phantoms smells about a year ago. Along with it, I have lost some of my sense of taste. Nothing is as flavorful anymore. Its as though I have a cold and Im stuffed up.(I am not)  Im female 53 y.o.110lbs.I also am little IGA deficient and have IBS-D.  I have gone to the neurologist and had eegs and mri of brain with negative results. I have been to 4 ENTs and they said there is nothing I can do. There is one ENT that did say a course of Zinc for 1 month may help and there is something called a Wilson solution that can only be done in the office. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Phantom odors.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any infection or blockage in your nose can cause you to smell something that is not there. Also, check to rule out autoimmune disorders like sjogren's, as this can cause decreased salivation and loss of taste. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.