Ear, Nose & Throat Community
post nasal drip and fear of choking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

post nasal drip and fear of choking

I am a 28 years old woman in good health except for this problem.
I have year long allergies (pollen in the summer, dust mites in the winter) and because of my allergies : post nasal drip.
I am seeing a doctor for this problem and I am taking different nasal medication for it : sometimes I use nasonex, other times atrovent and sometimes just saline.
I dont have a severe case of post nasal drip but when I have it I just feel like the food get stuck in my throat. Doctor tells me this is just a feeling, nothing dangerous. My question is : do I have more chances of choking (on food or on mucus) because I have this problem of post nasal? I can say that my problem is under control but now my problem is 50% allergies and 50% stress because with this "food stuck in the throat" sensation I have from time to time I get panic attacks becasue I fear I will choke. If somebody could tell me that there is no danger it would be a great relief. Is my doctor right? Is there really no danger if I only have a mild case of post nasal drip?
thank you!!
I certainly would not worry about choking. If your post nasal drip is thick and you eat, some particles may stick but not cause choking. However, uncomfortable it can be. Drink plenty of water to thin secretions. You might want to try a weekly nasal irrigation. Sounds funny but as I say, don't "knock it" without first trying it.

You may want to invest in a quality, indoor air cleaner. If you are sleeping in down, get rid of the down. Cover your pillows with pillow protectors. During good weather, I also take our mattresses outside, beat the heck out of them, vacuum them and let them air out.

Anxiety can produce a "globus" sensation, that being a feeling of a lump in the throat.

Really, you need not worry.

Best.

thank you very much!
I am less worried now. I always though allergies/post nasal drip were a nose problem but when you feel like you have food stuck in your throat it is pretty scary. But I will try to relax now!

One question : what is nasal irrigation? I though salinex (water + salt) was a nasal irrigation? Can somebody explain?
thanks.
You're welcome. Post nasal drip, drips down the back of your nose and throat.

A nasal irigation (irrigation) (or wash): http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

I use a gerber nasal bulb (in the baby section). It is white with a clear, removable suction tip (easier to wash). After I mix up my warm saline solution, I tilt my head down towards the tub (idea is to position your head, so your nostrils serve as a "cup" for solution). I bulb half the solution in one nostril and the other part, into the other nostril. [At first, it feels quite odd.]

When done, stand and let the remainder solution drain out. Then gently blow your nose.

I also have allergies and a constant post nasal drip. I have a camera put down my throat once by an ENT specialist, but it only revealed that the PND was irritating my throat and making it swollen.  I also get little bits of food stuck from time to time and I too am afraid that I will choke.  I think it is a vicious circle because the lump in the throat feeling along with the food getting stuck in the mucos causes anxious feelings - which makes it all feel worse.  I had this ten years ago and it went away after 9 months, but has come back in the last couple of months.  Stress seems to make it all feel tight and difficult to swallow.  Hope you are able to relax a bit knowing that you're not alone.
there is a good, pre-mixed nasal irrigation solution you can get at neilmed.com - i use it twice a day; it's easy.
I'm going though the samething with my post nasal drip, The feeling of food being stuck in my throat. It's very irritating and it's driving me crazy. I go to the allergist tomorrow. This is all new to me. Does anyone one know how they started feeling better with this problem?