Ear, Nose & Throat Community
removal of tonsils for recurring sinus infections?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Last year, I had my first sinus infection ever.  In the year since then, it was followed by 2 or 3 more.  This time, what started as (apparently) a simple flu rapidly turned into a sinus infection, constant cough, lost voice, and middle ear infection.  (I also then developed pinkeye on top of everything else, and started losing my balance due to the ear infection.  It was such a rapid progression of new, increasingly unpleasant symptoms that it would be kind of comical, if it weren't so gross and uncomfortable.)  

What makes these episodes even more unpleasant is that, after even the mildest cold or upper respiratory infection, I almost always end up with a cough that lasts for weeks or months afterward.

Anyway, my ENT suggested that I consider having my tonsils removed.  She said it's helpful for people who get frequent infections.  Is that correct?  I know of people who've had their tonsils removed for other reasons -- e.g., recurring tonsillitis -- but I've never heard of anyone doing this as a result of frequent sinus infections.

If there's a real possibility that it would help, I would definitely do it.  But I just haven't been able to find much information on tonsil removal in connection with sinus infections.  I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's had experience with anything like this.

Thank you.
Has the possibility of allergies being the underlying cause of all your symptoms been ruled out?

Never heard of recommending a tonsillectomy for sinus problems either.  I would seek a second opinion about that.  
This is so bizzare!!! I have tonsilitis right now... and I have also had crazy sinus problems within the last few years... only earlier today has it come to my attention that the two may be connected!!!!!
I have the exact same pain in my jaw and neck at the moment with tonsilitis- as I do when I have major sinus issues.
You can't find any details when it comes to sinus problems, and the treatment possibly being removal of tonsils...
but if you look at tonsilitis.. alot is related to sinuses!!!! I don't understand why it's one way and not the other....
But I'd def listen to ur ENT specialist...
You're lucky they suggested it!!! I went to one a few years ago- to be told there is nothing wrong with me =/ when clearly there is.. seeing as ive been dealing with the pain for years now!
Good luck!!!!
Thank you very much for your responses.  Londres70, I also see an allergist (same practice as my ENT).  Apparently I do have allergies -- which was surprising to me, because I haven't noticed any allergy problems since I moved to NYC 20 years ago.  (I used to have pretty bad allergies when I lived in the midwest.)  But the allergist said that, according to the skin allergy test, I showed significant allergies to dust mites, and that she could see a lot of inflammation in my nose -- she said that I'd probably just gotten used to being congested.  So the theory behind the chronic cough (the cough that lasts for weeks after a cold) was that it was a combination of allergies and increased inflammation from the upper rehttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--Nose--Throat/removal-of-tonsils-for-recurring-sinus-infections/show/1292585#spiratory infection.

Since the sinus infections began, though, I've mostly been seeing the ENT, rather than the allergist.  I did ask the ENT if the allergies were part of the problem, and she thought they might be a contributing factor.
I would reconsult your Allergist and get his/her opinion about this.
I see it has been a while since this post. I am curious how everything went. Did you have the surgery? I have the same problems as you. I am allergic to dust mites as well. I am doing allergy injections, but they are not helping. I have had reoccurring sinus infections for over a year now. My doctor is suggesting to have my tonsils out. Just curious if you had yours out and if it helped.