Ear, Nose & Throat Community
retracted ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

retracted ear

ive been diagnosed with having a retracted right ear. ive been given nasonex nasal spray  ( steriod spray ) by the hospital and told to use it in both nostrils for four weeks  and in the mean time im waiting to have a MRI scan. ive taken the nasal spray for  nearly 2 weeks now and there is no change. im still getting pressure constantly and the constant pressure noises are driving me mad yet alone the ear pain . can  anyone give me any more sugestions what more i can do , im not due to go back to the hospital till after my scan and thats if anything shows up, ive been told to go back only if the spray hasnt helped after 4 weeks. also does anyone know if im able to fly with a retracted ear.Im off to the dominican republic in May this year and its a 9 hr flight .its cost me alot of money this holiday and i cant not go , its my holiday of a life time ! whats the worst that can happen in flight with this retracted ear, i always suffer with ear pain when takeoff and landing only not in mid flight. i dont want to be suffering  much longer and would like it cleared up before my hols
Tags: Ear, Pain, pressure
Are you talking about retracted eardrum?
yes im talking about a retracted eardrum.do you have any helpful suggestions, im  not getting a good nights sleep and its making me irratable.
this all started with ear infections in both ears,  i was given augmentin 625mg antibiotics to clear the infections and also ear drops. when i went back to hospital only the left ear cleared up.  i was the a week later  i was booked in for audio test and they found a problem still with the  right ear. i saw the docter after and told him there was no change with the right ear , still pressure , noises , and pain , he then took me to see the consaltant and he looked in my ear and thats when he then told me and the doctor the ear drum had retracted. im now waiting for the mri scan and currently sniffing the nasonex spray at night, 2 puffs into both nostrils before bed.  the ear dosent seem to be getting any better, ive been on the nasonex spray for 2 weeks now.
I started with retracted eardrums and terrible tinnitus in both ears.  Had tubes put in and right resolved but left did not.  It has been a long horrible ride. If you live near Johns Hopkins or can get there go see Dr. John Cary. By the time I got to him it was too late and other procedures had ruined my eardrum. We he did my exam he at first said he would do graft tympanoplasty and changed his mind said it had been too long. He did tell my doctor here about it and did say that my eardrum may need strenthening. I did finally get the surgery. But my whole head feels like an air bubble and I still have the tinnitus in the left ear, but not as loud. Go now and don't fool around.