Ear, Nose & Throat Community
retracting ear drum after typmanomastoidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

i had a tymapanomastoidectomy a year ago this month, i had a also had a secondary cholestoma removed, unsure the correct spelling, i have a long history of ear problems, my current ent whom is a doctor i love and trust said that the ear drum that was fixed is now retracting, he said to come back in 6 months, however he is not the doctor who preformed the surgery nor was he aware that i had the cholestomia, is this something that i need to be concerned about
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your treating doctor should know your complete history, only then he can treat you properly. So, tell him about the cholesteatoma.  A retracted ear drum could be due to a blocked Eustachian tube, which is commonly due to a throat infection. Decongestants, steroid nasal sprays and antihistamine medications may help clear the tubes and facilitate drainage. So, continue the medications prescribed and follow up with your doctor.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
oh he is aware of it after the fact, i have seen this doctor since he came into our town after my last one retired, i have been seeing an ent ever since my birth because my right ear drum was perforated at my birth, i have had Eustachian Tube Dysfunction all my life, i got sick last year with the worst ear infection i had ever had it and when he first seen it again he said that my ear drum was thickening and retracting then, he wasnt aware that i had the cholesteatoma he was unable to  do the Tympanomastiodectomy and he had to send me to another doctor, he has been the best doctor that i could have ever asked for, however i am not currently sick no sinus or nothing in fact besides staying dizzy a lot i feel great in my ears and sinuses for the first time in a very long time, in december i had to have another tube placed in my left ear and he looked at the right one while i was asleep, it was fine then and fine in january as well, it was only this last visit that problems has arose with it and he himself said he was basically unable to really do much for that ear anymore except keep watch, should i call the doctor that preformed the surgery and ask him or should i just let this one keep watch, i really don't want to have to go thru another procedure,