Ear, Nose & Throat Community
ringing sound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

ringing sound

Hello

Five years ago i went to a concert and afterwards i began hearing a ringing sound that i still hear today at 20 years old. I went to the doctor at the time but i was never really concerned with this because it doesn't bother me that much, i only hear it when i'm in a silent room.
But now i want to travel in a plane and i wanted to know if it is secure to my ears. Also, is this going to get worse with age?

Thank you
Tags: ringing, sound
It's called tinnitus. It may worsen with age...sorry.
Take some chewing gum with you on the plane. Chew, chew,chew.
The altitude may cause pressure in your ears, but it shouldn't make the ringing any worse. If it does, it should be temporary.

The next time you go to the doctor tell him/her about it...just for future reference. There is nothing they will give you, but it's good to let them note any and all problems.
Have fun on your trip.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Perception of abnormal ear or head noises is termed as TINNITUS. Persistent tinnitus usually indicates the presence of sensory hearing loss. Intermittent periods of mild, high-pitched tinnitus lasting for several minutes are common in normal hearing persons. It may worsen with age.

If symptoms are worsening, you will need to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation, who may then refer you to an ENT specialist. An ENT examination, auditory brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways and CT/MRI brain may be needed to diagnose the cause for tinnitus. Treatment lies in treating the underlying cause.
Hope this helped and do keep us posted.