Ear, Nose & Throat Community
rotten smell in nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

rotten smell in nose

I had a rotten meat smell start in my nose early in the morning.
As the day went on, it got progressively worse.  I thought that
something had died in the wall.  I used candles, floral sprays and febreeze to no effect.  It seemed to worsen as the day went on and I ended up vomited every time I got a whiff.  I ended up holding my nose until I went to the emergency room because I smelled it outside and my son said he didn't smell anything.  I was totally freaked.  Does anyone have any info?  I am going to have a Cat Scan.  The thing that ticked me off was the emergency room doctor said it was all in my head and sent me home.  I don't care if it is in my head, get rid of it, please.
I don't know, but I think my niece has the same thing. We haven't done a CAT Scan, but the doctors suggested it was an infection. So we use it and it seems to lessen the smell, but it always grows back to full strength. I was just wondering if you can share your findings... if you found out what it was and stuff like that.
I too had this bad smell for half this year. It was making me crazy! It started last spring. My sinuses were congested & I had this foul smell!  I thought I had a new allergy (i have never had an allergy) I mean, it was spring. Around june I was so fed up. Nothing was even helping the congestion! My mom gave me her left over antibiotics from a previous sinus infection. Finally! The congestion & the smell were gone! Then around September it came back! So of course I thought "geez I have fall allergies now too?!" Then in November I decided to get a tooth pulled that had been broken for a long time & the dentist told me I had a cyst & bad infection in the gum & didn't even know. almost immediately I noticed the smell was gone so then I realized the tooth infection caused a bad sinus infection. Its new to me how infections can spread in the body. As soon as I winged myself off of the nasal spray, I have been free of congestion & that awful smell!