Ear, Nose & Throat Community
scope

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

scope

I belive I have a CSF leak. I am scheduled on friday to have a scope put up my nose to look. I originally thought they were going to do a test that they had to pack pledglets into my nose but I found out today they are going to do a scope. I would like to know how accurete a scope is at detecting a csf leak? Do you feel the scope? pain wise.
thank you in advance
Why do you think you have a CSF leak?  Any trauma?  Any nasal surgery?  Do you have recurring meningitis?

A scope is one of several things used to evaluate a suspected CSF leak.  It is a little uncomfortable and sometimes painful, but there is a numbing spray that can help.  Occasionally it can "detect" a CSF leak if you can see fluid dripping at the time of the scope.  Usually, the fluid will need to be collected and sent to the lab to verify it is indeed brain fluid.  In addition, a CT scan as well as a specialized CT scan that requires injection of dye into the spinal fluid are commonly used.