scopolamine withdrawal
I have a complicated question.  I was given a scopolomine patch for surgery.  I was hospitalized for 4 days.  About 48 hours after I was discharged, I began suffering from significant nausea and vertigo.  My OB\GYN surgeon prescribed more scopolomine patches. I also developed severe sinusitis and bronchitis in the week after my discharge and was put on an antibiotic.  Each time I used the patch, the symptoms were controlled, but about 24-48 hours after removal, the symptoms were back with a vengeance.  I called after the third patch, and my surgeon said I needed to see my PCP because it was no longer surgery related.  I asked whether I was having some sort of "rebound" symptoms from the removal of my patch, and she told me no. I went to my pCP, he believed it was an inner ear problem,  gave me another round of antibiotics, a steroid shot, a medrol dose pack and two more patches in  case the symptoms came beck before the meds worked.  I continue to have the same problems.  With my own research, I am reading that my symptoms may well be withdrawal from my scopolomine patch.  My question is whether this sounds like what may be causing my problem and if so, now what?  What is the best course of action to get through the incapacitating symptoms and get off this patch?
Thanks for all the comments and advice.  I am 7 weeks post op from thoracic outlet surgery.  I was given a patch the night before the surgery and have been changing it out every three days as directed.  I am also on oxycontin, percocet, robaxin....It has been a horrid recovery time and I am so tired of all the meds and the groggy, foggy feeling.  I stopped the oxycontin, taking less of the percocet, continuing the robaxin.  Today I took off my scop patch.  I am concerned that after reading this info I will have a reaction as others have.  Nothing Yet..Praise God....Does anyone have any info on how the meclizine may affect other drugs such as muscle relaxers and narcotics?  I have been told the meds I am on are necessary for my recovery, however, I do not like the feelings of the drugs and will painfully recover if necessary.   Thanks....
I took transderm scop patches for my 9 day cruise (3 patches).  10 hours after removal of the last patch I almost immediately felt nausea, dizziness and headache.  I was sick for 10 days with extreme nausea and headache.  5 weeks have past and I am still not feeling normal.  I am still very tired and sleepy.  I went to my ENT twice regarding this and was told it is withdrawal symptoms from transderm scop patches.  I will never go on the patch again.
Are there any recent updates to help get off the scopalamine patch.  I've been using one for 1 1/2 yrs.  I have tried several times to get off of it, but I'm unable to cope with the severe nausea that accompanies the withdrawal.  The nausea is incapacitating.
Has  anybody tried leaving the old patch on for a couple of weeks?  Seems like it would deliver a smaller dose each day.  That's what I'll try if I have withdrawal symptoms.
How did you make out leaving the patch on past the 3 days. I have had it on 5 days now and I am afraid to take it off for fear of getting sick.
Have any of you had vision changes as well? If so how long did that last?
Tracemaster, It's been over a year since you posted. Hope you see this. Your symptoms are similar to mine except mine are pretty much restricted to my left side - the opposite side of where the patch was - a month after removing the patch. How are you feeling 12 months later?
I feel that I've finally figured out how to manage the scopolomine patch, no real thanks to my doctor or pharmacist.  Both were clueless & claimed they had never heard of withdrawal problems before. (Right!)  The first time I used the patch, I did the first full patch as directed, and when I took it off 3 days later, I got so badly motion sick within 24 hours that I couldn't move without feeling like I would vomit.  My doctor had me cut the patch in half & try that.  Again I was sick after taking it off 3 days later.  So I tried an experiment (with my doctor's blessing).  I started with half a patch for the next vacation.  Left that on the whole week we were gone and continued wearing it for about 3 days after we returned.  Then I took the half patch off & put on a quarter patch and left that for about another 10 days.  When I took the quarter patch off, I had no motion sickness symptoms at all.  My idea was to let the medicine basically wear itselt out, and I truly think that worked.  I would definitely use the patch again, now that I know "one size does not fit all"!
WOW.  I had an Umbilical Hernia Repair on Jan 26th.  They put a Scopalamine patch on just before I went in and said keep on up to 72 hrs to prevent post op n/v.
I took it off Saturday morning and later that day I started to experience dizziness and intermittent nausea. I quickly Googled Scopalamine, saw something about rebound and figured I would feel better in about 24 hours.
Its Monday now, I still feel "floaty"...thought maybe I was dehydrated. I have required very little pain med, last dose was 1 Norco Saturday night. Had 1/2 on Thurs and 1 on Fri so not a lot.
With the nausea I never have to vomit, it is just a feeling.  It does not prevent me from eating or drinking.
So this morning I felt well enough to drive my 5 year old 2 miles to school WHEW! I felt like I was an impaired driver. I wasn't swerving or anything, I went through the neighborhood, no major highways, no speed limits >30.
I felt uneasy though, especially on my way home.
So talked to another nurse friend who had used this surgeon. She did a more in depth search of the Scop and told me I am having w/d symptoms.
I then conducted my own Google search and found this forum.
CRAZY!!  I am a RN and use to work Recovery Room and our docs never used Scopalamine,.  My mom kept saying to take it off immediate post op, said they use to use it in OB and it would make women crazy.....should've listened to mom!
Well. I am praying and believing this will resolve before I go back to work in 10 days. I am going to look up some of those Vestibular Rehab exercises and do them.  
Scopolamine should be taken off the market!!!! Shame on the Anesthesiologists who prescribe it, they ought to try it themselves or give it to a family member.
God bless everyone going through this.
My husband and I went on a 5 day cruise and both wore the patch, replacing it after 3 days, us each using 2 patches in total.  We felt totally fine on the cruise and were grateful for them, then. But, and there's a BIG but to that.  We both took them off the day of our arriving home in the morning.  He first experienced nausea and fatigue that evening, which lasted until the next day, and was pretty much gone by day two of removal.

I am a different case.  My nausea also started that night, but the next day I woke up, I thought I was going insane, couldn't get my emotions under control, had an extreme upset stomach, shaking, anxiety and extreme tiredness.  It has now been 3 days, and I am still battling with these symptoms, although lessened some, they are still all there, making it very difficult to get through the day.  
I haven't taken anything except ginger root pills for the nausea. I am not one who is big on taking synthetic medicines and would rather just get through this awful time 'cold turkey'.  But from what i've read, it could take awhile. I just want to feel normal again.
I wish I had been warned about this withdrawal challenge and I wish I HAD NEVER USED THE PATCH!!!
I feel for you Jen. You have my withdrawal reaction. I had recurring bouts of weirdness for 1 1/2 years with the episodes of brief anxiety, out of body feeling being further spaced mostly months apart. Then had some mild depression for 9-12 months. Seriously took me 2+ years to feel totally normal.  Don't be tempted to treat this with more meds. Just see it through and know that you will get better.
Has anyone tied the scopolamine patch to alleviate depression?  I have been on so many different anti-depressants for over 15 years; nothing alleviates it. I heard that many people have had relief from the patch when no other drugs seem to work, but I am scared to try it after reading the posts above. Please let me know if you have tried this patch to alleviate depression and what your results were/are.  Thank you.
http://articles.****.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/06/frightening-story-behind-the-drug-companies-creation-of-medical-lobotomies.aspx
I just got back from a 7 day cruise.  The last day was very choppy so I put on a patch for less than 24 hours.  I took it off on the car ride home.  It probably took about 3 or 4 hours for the symptoms to appear.  I was dizzy and my vision got so blurry.  I can see far, with my contacts but nothing close up.  IT has been 24 hours now and the symptoms have not improved.  I went to the ER because I thought I was suffering from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.  It was the ER physician who said  it sounded like side effects from Scopolamine.  I have not felt nauseous and do not have a headache which is strange because everything gives me a headache.  The worst part of this is the blurred vision.  I also feel shaky and twitchy.  Really very strange!
I so wish I had looked up withdrawals from this terrible drug prior to the first application. I have a different reason for starting the patch. I heard an NPR report that Scopolamine could be the answer to people who do not respond to the traditional anti-depressent drugs. I used this patch for 11 days, changing it every 3. Around the 9th day, my pupils were dilated twice the normal size and I had difficulty thinking. I knew right away it was the patch. I discontinued it this past Wednesday and felt okay until Friday morning. I began feeling extremely depressed, agitated and then had my first full-blown panic attack. I contacted my doctor and he recommended I reapply the patch and thought that either leaving it on for several days until the medicine wore off, or to cut the patch in half. I continued reading posts on this site and tried the band-aid method but ended up taking it off a couple of hours later. The weekend has been a nightmare of depression. Depression much worse than I can remember having prior to the Scopolamine. I searched for information all weekend on this drug and stumbled on a documentary made in Colombia - Devil's Breath. This is a horrible drug and I can't believe it has FDA approval. I am so worried I will never get over this depression and I have to work tomorrow. I see that you posted your comment a couple of years ago. Did your depression take a long time to get over?

Thanks,

Melanie
I just posted a rather lengthy comment about trying this patch for depression. Let me know if you don't see it and I will respond with my story. Not good.
I also used this patch and had horrible withdrawals. I spent this past weekend researching withdrawals from Scopolamine as I could do barely anything except lie on my bed hoping the worst case of depression and anxiety would end. Here's something interesting I stumbled on in my search. Sounds like your husband's nightmare:

http://www.vice.com/vice-news/colombian-devil-s-breath-1-of-2
I have a friend that out of desperation cut the patch in smaller and smaller pieces over time.  Thankfully, it worked, and she was able to ween herself from the patch.
I just also returned from a 7-day cruise using the Transderm scop and was rushed to the ER from home 24 hrs after removing the patch. Had a CATscan & spinal tap to show nothing wrong in my brain. I had no dizziness, but very tired & sleeping a lot. Feels like I have a sack of flour to carry around on my back every day. Small headaches come & go, but I think I am on the mend. Haven't heard what my doctor thinks yet! I've used patches before, but this is the 1st time - they must have changed the dosage or something in it!!! Will NEVER use these again - scared me to death!
I was given the scopolamine patch for vertigo symptoms I had been experiencing (mild-severe/mild).  I took the patch 3 days, removed it and put on another and wore that for 1 day.  It made me feel really weird, my pupils were dialated, and I couldn't think straight at work so I took it off.  About 12 hours later I felt horrible!  I was dizzy and so nauseous, plus I had the shakes really bad - also I couldn't eat at all.  My dizziness was twice as bad as when I put the patch on.  So I had to stay home from work for two days (to begin with) and the second day I tried to drive to the store and got really dizzy and sick.  I came home and the next morning I tried to drive to work and was horribly dizzy and nauseous, got sick and shaky and just felt so horrible.  I drive 50 miles to work, so this is a huge problem for me and now I'm looking at possible short- or long-term leave.  My symptoms were nothing like this before I took this patch and even while I was wearing it.  There is no other explanation for what is happening to me, especially from what I've been reading on here an other sites.  I'm going to try the meclizine, even though it's a bit much for me, I have to try to recover from this.  This drug should NEVER be sold.
hi just was wondering i had surgery and i been going through this for 3 weeks how long did it take to go away thank you
hi was wondering how long before it went away im going on 3 weeks thank you
I had the same side effects most of you list 24 hours after taking off the patch- extreme nauseousness (lying on the floor trying to stop the motion and wishing I could just throw up - no waves, just the worst nauseous I've ever been, blurred vision, dizziness, shaky, mental confusion, trouble making sentences. I am so grateful you all posted this cause my dr had never heard of scopolamine withdrawal. Urgent care agreed with your weaning schedule, so i did 2 bonine 3xd for 72 hours, 1 bonine 3xd for 72 hours, 1 bonine 2xd for 48 and then off. The bonine made me tired, but i was releaved of the nauseousness within an hour and all the other symptoms as the week went on. I can't believe what all of you went through, with MRIs and seizure meds, etc. I'm wondering if I can use this again and control it, or if I'm taking a chance. If I know how to wean in advance, can it be controlled? I'm kind of scared to try!
My wife is now dealing with withdrawal symptoms.  She stated the patch on Nov 10 for a cruise, and took it odd on Nov 18.  She's been very dizzy for the past two days, within some mild headache.  Today I convinced her to start meclizine step down (she didn't want to start at such a high dose).  We'll see how we'll that works.
I used the scopolopine patch for approx. 1 1/2 days when I recently had to fly with a flu which caused nausea. I couldn't keep my eyes open for the almost 24 hours of travel time and when forced to wake up at my arrival destination, realized I had light sensitivity visually, blurred and diminished vision and related nausea and dizziness. I left the patch on part way through my first night at home and awoke with my eyes so dry through the shut lids that I had to apply drops throughout the night to lubricate them. I also had significant pain in the back of my head extending to behind my eyes. I removed the patch, now wondering if it was contributing or actually causing my symptoms. The next day I had no option but to go to work and had to wear magnifying glasses to see the extremely large computer screen that I've never had trouble seeing before. I went to an opthamologist the next day and was told my vision (both near and far) had dramatically decreased and my intraocular pressures (think glaucoma) were elevated bilaterally. He felt it was related to the use of the patch and said with me being a lower weight, the dose would have been too strong (there is no option to get a smaller dose) and he said my being fair skinned and blue eyed predisposes me to side effects with the patch. It has been 8 days since I removed the patch and while my intraocular pressures are improving, the blurred and poor vision remains. Now the opthamologist wants blood work done and feels the symptoms are likely no longer related to the patch. It seems pretty coincidental that all these issues occurred after using the patch. I am now out of pocket for two opthamologist appts, about to see a FD and a bunch of blood work, not to mention the horrendous feeling of having everything blurred around me. You couldn't pay me enough to use this patch again.
I was given this patch on 1/25 to prevent nausea after gallbladder surgery. Never got sick- but my LAP "you will feel great in 2 days" surgery took a different path. Took the patch off after wearing for 72 hours. I was stoned and weak and pale as a ghost (one of it's side effects is pallor). My mouth was dry as a bone. Pupils like saucers. Saw my surgeon the day after I took off the patch and I was doing better. Then the next day hit and I just went down hill. Horrific headache- which I still have. Blurred vision- also still happening. I had to see 2 doctors who are not saying much and now on for another eye exam- which I had right before surgery. Here's a bit more to this story.  I take 0.5MG of klonopin each night for sleep. These drugs metabolize through the liver on the same enzyme. So it creates an overdose effect. I have now cut the klonopin in 1/2 and will stay on that. Anymore and this anti anxiety medication now brings on horrific anxiety attacks.  I can't drink any caffeine as it starts me shaking.  This is from the bellandonna plant and it is a powerful narcotic. Surgeons like it because it stops dreaming- completely -only other thing that does that is a lobotomy. So no surgical nightmares and the lack of saliva makes it easier to keep you aspirated during surgery. I spoke to the manufacturer and they only wanted to know my experience so they could share with the research lab. No answers. This site saved me. Thought the worst was going on from the surgery. Bad drug.
I have used the scopolamine patch for many years (Scopolamine was also in pill form for a few years and that was much better and cheaper.) and I am a big fan.  I could not have done any of the travel I have done without it.  However, I have had one serious withdrawal episode.  It was a few years ago when I wore a patch for three continuous weeks while in Australia. When I returned home I ripped the patch off and suffered the extreme dizziness and nusea that others have described.  I went to bed for three days and did not move.  Since that time, I have never worn the patch for an extended period of time and I never take the patch off as soon as my trip ends or when the three operative days for the patch are up.  Instead, I leave the patch on for weeks on the theory that there is some residual medication and I let it titter itself out.  That seems to do the trick for me.  I have had no serious withdrawal symptoms after that one experience and I use the patch for a week or less about twice a year.  I have had some sight equilibrium problems, but nothing serious enough to keep me from my usual routines.  Really just a slight dizziness when I stand up quickly after being stationary for a long period of tiime (like when I get out of bed in the morning).  Everybody is different.  For me, using two patches over 7-10 days is fine as long as I leave that last patch on for a week or more.  
Hi everyone. I actually DO have Mal de Debarquement Syndroms (MdDS), but I also had issues with the scopalomine patch. My last episode of MdDS started because I flew in an airplane, and because there is no cure for MdDS, my doctor asked if I'd tried the patch. I hadn't, and I've tried just about everything for MdDS. So I tried the patch. I had watery vision and felt strange the whole time, and then I had trouble getting off it. I noticed my scopalomine reaction was less by day 3, so I just left the patch on. I noticed someone else on here did the same thing. I too felt there must be some medication left in the patch after 3 days, and that worked to wean me off. Of course, once I was off the patch, my MdDS symptoms kicked into high gear, but that's a different story.

(For Mal de Debarquement sufferers out there who may be reading this, I've been told to bring a prednisone/medrol dose pack with you while traveling, and to start the pack at the first sign of symptoms. It may be autoimmune and/or related to migraines, and the prednisone has helped some people end their episodes if they have episodic - not constant - MdDS),
After reading all of these stories about withdrawal from the scop patch I realized that is exactly what I am going through. I had surgery for a hysterectomy on April 16th and was given the patch in the hospital to control severe nausea and vomiting. Unfortunately no one told me to take it off so I left it on for 4 days( I actually forgot it was there until I was washing my neck and found it there) Within 24 hrs of taking it off I was extremely sick so my husband called my doctor and he ordered more. Again wore the patch for 3 days and again within 24 hrs of removing was violently ill with nausea, vomiting, sweats, shakiness, and I was pale as a ghost. So of course I put another one on and now am afraid to remove it. I am only 100 lbs and already have lost 4 lbs after surgery as my appetite is awful. I'm worried if I suffer out the withdrawal I will lose even more weight. My doctor says he has never heard of someone getting sick after taking the patch off. I don't know if I should try meclizine or simply keep the patch on until it loses all its strength, or maybe both? Any ideas? I've already been helpless around the house for 2 weeks and don't want to be debilitated any longer.
I am so grateful for this forum - thought I was losing my mind, had a sinus infection or pancreatic cancer! I will NEVER go on another cruise - this withdrawal is horrific. Thanks for the heads up about anti-vert - will now call my MD and request it. God bless you all!
Wanted to post my experience in case it can help someone else...

I wore the patch for 8 days while on vacation at Disney due to my motion sickness with roller coasters, etc.  Started feeling sick about 18 hours after taking the patch off.  Major headache, and nausea (but no vomiting).  Found this forum and started following Mary's plan of a Meclizine taper.  I already had some Bonine so I used that (contains 25 mg Meclizine).  Two Bonine every 6 hours for about a day.  I was feeling better about 12 hours after taking the first dose.  After 24 hours I was feeling much better.  So then I was able to drop to one Bonine every 8 hours...only did a couple of those before I was able to stop completely.  Feeling back to normal now.

So the taper period is probably different for everybody, but the general idea seems to work for some.  Good luck to all.
last night I stupidly put on 2 patches 1 behind each ear,   because I felt a little dizzy... I took them off about 2 hours later because the sight of the patch was itching me....I must have touched my eye with the same fingers that took off the patch on my left ear... about 1/2 hour later my vision was blurred in my left eye.  I was worried of course.. I went to the bathroom mirror and looked at my left eye it was totally dilated.... I hope this is temporary.  As a rule I do not use the patches, I use Meclazine, as needed only.
Put my first patch on last year for a disney cruise..it worked wonders, and after about 26 or so hours of taking it off, I felt slightly off, a little nauseated, like I was coming down with something.  That only lasted for the remainder of that evening.  Fast forward to this past weekend.  Used another patch...took it off Monday morning, felt great until tuesday afternoon.....nausea/dizziness/shortness of breath/fast heartbeat all hit really suddenly.  It was terrible!  Thank God my sister suffers from vertigo and told me to take some bonine because it has meclazine in it.  So i popped two bonine and went to bed (although it took a while for it to kick in).  Today is thursday and I need to keep taking 25mg about every 4 hours, or the dizziness/nausea come right back.  This is terrible!  I will never, ever take this patch again.  I will say out of the five of us who used the patch, I am the only one who got this side effect, go figure!  I am hoping that I will eventually be able to get off the meclazine, as it makes me feel very foggy and slow.  Please, please stay away from the patch!!
I wore the patch for 7 days and since taking it off, I have had constant diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps.  I was dizzy for the first 3-4 days but that passed and now it's been almost two weeks with the other symptoms and no relief.  Has anyone else had this side effect?  I should mention that while on the patch, I had trouble going to the bathroom.  I don't think this could be a virus since it's lasting so long.  Any thoughts?
I just used this patch for a 25 hour flight- I had it on for a total of about 40 hours or so, I took it off last night before I went to bed at my destination. I have severe emetophobia (phobia of nausea and vomiting) and I wish I had researched the side effects after removal better before I decided on taking it. It's been about 12 hours since I removed it and I feel fine, but I am absolutely terrified of developing nausea and/or vomiting in a few hours due to withdrawals. That is something that would absolutely traumatize me. In anyone's experience, are the withdrawal symptoms lessened for people who have only used the patch once as opposed to those of you who have taken it many times in a row? I also have tons of meclizine, when should I begin taking that to try and avoid the nausea altogether?
I have read through so much of this thread and can relate so much!!  But from what I am reading this has all been short term use of the patch. Is there any experience with people who have been on it long term?  I was prescribed this patch back in February of 2013.  It was prescribed to help treat my nausea. Yep it helps, and if only I knew then what just  1 patch could do, I would have never used it. I used it every 3 days for about 5-6 weeks, when I was having surgery to replace a gastric stimulator, which would help ease my nausea enough to make life livable. So we took the patch off right before the surgery. I have never been so sick, If I even moved my eyes within the socket with my eyes shut, I would dry heave and vomit. They put the patch back on, and so much iv Zofran.  Thought it was just from the surgery meds and spinal meds etc. So any time I tried to remove the patch, or forgot to put on after showering etc I would start getting sick within a few hours. By 3-4 hours I can hardly keep my eyes open or hold my head up I am so sick, nauseated, head ache. etc.  I have thought all along it is just my illness nausea.  Wearing the patch does dilate my eyes, blurry vision most of the time. Hard to really focus, especially small print. Last few months the skin behind my ears has been breaking out so bad. The patch adhesive/med just itches horrendously. Skin is broken out, weepy and crusts over. Both ears affected so bad, right now using a steroid cream to to help clear it up. Spoke to my GI who prescribed this med to me nearly a year and a half ago..... We decided it was time to stop the patch. She prescribed IV Zofran, which I could use thru my port. We would do a dose or so of iv Zofran and then remove the patch in the evening. Did that Friday. Just an hour into it my leg began itching horribly, small rash itched bad during night too. Woke a few times during the night, nausea there but not too bad. At 5:25 am my husband gave me 4mg iv Zofran. Helped a bit. by 10 am, I was horrible. Nauseas, couldn't lift my head off the pillow hardly.  Hot and cold, sweating, freezing and head ache. Did another dose iv Zofran at 11:25.  Started vomiting at 11:27. Continued all thru the afternoon. Had to unhook my tpn early, couldn't keep getting up to use the bathroom anymore. Called my infusion company, spoke to my pharmacist about increasing the iv Zofran. She had to call my Dr, or the Dr on call to get an order.  He wouldn't okay it, said that dose should be enough to control it. Advised me to go to the ER. Before starting this, my GI Dr, local pharmacist and infusion company pharmacist have not heard of withdrawal from the scop patch. Nor the arrogant ER DR.  At 6 pm the ER gave me 8 mg IV Zofran. It helped take the vomiting away, but still severe nausea and head ache. Dr comes back in says slap another patch on, that is just a little contact dermatitis.  Wow!  Yes I live in a small town, but wow!  Then asks do I want to be admitted or what.  My husband and I decided to go home and do some more research and yes I slapped another patch on. We were able to increase my iv Zofran to 4 mg every 4 hours.  That helped after 3 hours with the patch on I could lift my head off my pillow for a few minutes.  Still have the patch on, still needing the Zofran.  I am terrified to start over again after having used this patch for so long.  Has anyone used this medication for this long and been successful at coming off?  I totally agree, it should not be FDA approved for anything.... and the first Physician Assistant that prescribed it for me, should not have been able to prescribe it....  Is there any hope for me?
Mary,
It is good to get a physician's perspective on the use of the patch. Unlike many of the comments on this site, I used the patch for relief of major dizziness and nausea, to the point that I couldn't take my head off the pillow. Just going to the bathroom took a tremendous amount of effort since the "recovery" to get myself past the horrible throbbing head and nausea often took 2 hours. No one seems to have any explanation for my condition. The patch has been a life saver. Unfortunately, like others posting, I can't seem to live without it now. How bad is the medication in the patch. I don't have any signs of anxiety, depression, etc. when I have the patch on. Just feel awful when I take it off. I hope you are still visiting this site and will give me insight!
Thanks, SallyBRuss
I started the patch three cycles ago. I was on meclinzine before. But was up to taking 150mg daily. Way too much. . The patch is working great. But i did notice that I removed it last night.72 hour limit. And forgot to replace it with new one. Well it didn't take long for my vertigo and labrynthitis to kick back in today.. But as soon as I put new patch on within a few hours the dizziness and nauseas has lessened..
I too got "tricked" into becoming patch dependent. I was given one preoperativley for a laparoscopic surgery about a month ago, then when I returned home, a few days later, the nausea returned with a vengeance. I innocently asked my Dr. for a refill on the patch and here I am one month later.

I have tried more than once to get off this evil patch with the same hellish symptoms posted above by everyone else, only to have to put another patch back on. One incident was so frightening I almost called an ambulance. Well I am posting today because I removed my patch yesterday (Friday) at 11 am and have experienced NO nausea since then. Thanks be to God. I am now past the 24 hour mark as I write this (it is 4:30 pm on Saturday afternoon).

I felt only slightly "off" before bed (about 8 hours post removal), so I didn't take the full 50 mg Meclizine. I decided only to take the 25mg dose. I woke up feeling a little but hungover (tired,heavy headed), but no nausea. I managed to take a shower and cook breakfast for my family. About 10am, I decided to go ahead and take the 50mg dose of Meclizine because I felt in my gut the nausea was headed my way. I laid down 30 minutes later because I started feeling sleepy. I slept all afternoon, through lunch, and awoke at 4pm and I feel relatively normal! Hungry, but not nauseous.

I plan to take another 50 mg before going to sleep tonight. I will let everyone know how it goes.

I just wanted to say that this patch is evil, I will never be using one again, and I CANNOT WAIT until I am a few days out from it. I will post updates. I was so grateful for everyone else's as I researched the best way to get off this thing.
Just wanted to post an update. I only took two 50mg doses of Meclizine on Saturday - one in the morning, and one in the evening - after ripping the patch off "cold turkey" on Friday at lunch.  On Sunday, I awoke and took a 25mg dose. I felt slightly off in my head but not nauseous all day long. I took one last 25 mg dose before bed and WOKE UP MONDAY FEELING NORMAL!

I am so excited to be done with this mess. There you have it, folks. You too can be off this patch in only 2 days. With no nausea !
Hi Gina, hope I can still reach you so many years later. I had surgery 6 weeks ago and cannot get off scopolamine, causes unbearable nausea. Wish they never had put me on it. Do you think weaning the patch size would help getting rid of it? Or should I play with the length?
Thanks so much,
Krisztina
Hi Squast,
What kind of cream/steroid did you use to try to clear up the skin behind your ears??
My boyfriend is having the same problem with the skin behind his ears too and has been using just regular otc hydrocortisone cream.
Did you do anything to get better?  I wonder if I just go cold turkey and tough it out?
I used the patch for an 11-day cruise and experienced the same side effects 24 hours after removing the patch. It was awful and I thought I may have caught something while being oversees. I'm so grateful I found this discussion as it put my mind at ease. What really helped for me was wearing Sea Bands. I didn't want to take more medication so the Sea Bands were a safe and effective way to manage my symptoms. I wore them for 2-3 days and found that I no longer felt ill. I hope this tip will help someone suffering from the side effects post the patch.
Thank God for this forum and all of you! I just returned from a vacation with my wife, 3 yr old son, and sister-in-law. I took my last patch off early Tues afternoon. By Wed afternoon I was beginning to feel "off." On our bus ride to the airport late that afternoon I was really feeling bad. I was sweating bullets on an air conditioned bus and had severe motion sickness (even though buses NEVER bother me). I literally threw up within a minute or two of getting off the bus - thank God the bathrooms were right inside the airport doors. The flight home was terrible - I barely avoided throwing up. As soon as we got to my father-in-laws house (he picked us up) to get our vehicle I threw up (20 minutes from airport), as soon as we got home (another 20-30 min ride) I threw up again! Equilibrium off all night and still today, just walking around makes me a lil naseous. Without this forum I would still be wondering if I was experiencing withdrawal or something else?! I call my dr office (the one's who prescribed it) and two hours later still hadn't heard back! Called back and actually got a call back within 20 min - with ALL my info wrong! They had no flippin idea! This is ridiculous! Drs. prescribe a drug that can have such severe withdrawal symptoms AND they aren't even familiar with them - how the hell is that doing your profession due diligence?!
I am currently going through this horrible patch withdrawal.  I used the patch every 3 days for a 14 day cruise.  Knowing about the patch withdrawal, I tapered down by covering 1/3 of the patch with a band aid, 3 days later covering 2/3.  After 3 days, I removed the patch completely.  By the next afternoon, I was completely incapacitated.  Dizzy and nauseous when standing.  In addition, I feel so depressed and anxiety ridden...like an impending sense of doom.  I have already missed nearly a week of work, which I am sure is contributing to my anxiety.  I am currently taking Meclazine...25 MG's 3 times a day, but based on what I am reading, may need to increase that.  No one tells you about what can happen after using this drug.  I can understand maybe feeling a bit under the weather, but this is extreme.  So hard to explain exactly what I am feeling.  It is overwhelming.  Trying to avoid taking anti-depressants on top of all of this, but feeling so nervous and depressed.  The patch works like a charm to avoid motion sickness, but the price you pay after is not worth it.  I love cruising but suffer from severe motion sickness.  This patch allowed me to enjoy a wonderful vacation, but never again.  This is a dangerous drug and the after effects are debilitating.  Stay away from the Scope Patch!
Hi, I'm going through the exact symptoms as you were, can you help me. Can helped and in how long did all symptoms disappeared.
I left it on for 5 days and developed a horrible rash behind my ear that took 2 weeks to heal. I too am an RN and have experienced the same symptoms as described above only I thought it was a reaction to anesthesia vs the scopolamine patch. After being referred to an ENT and being told I had migraines and was told to "take off my nurses hat" (when I questioned why the symptoms only occurred after surgery), I decided to research on my own BEFORE having another $1K  MRI. Glad I did because I thought I was going crazy and have been off work for 2 months. The Meclizine and Zofran  weaned me off the patch and physical therapy helped the vertigo but I'm still having problems focusing my eyes and with occasional slight vertigo. I have an eye doctor appointment next week and have cut my sodium intake. Sooooo glad I decided to research scopolamine withdrawal and found I'm not the only one. The anxiety and depression are very real and sadly not taken seriously by health care providers. I'll be sending this to my physicians in hopes of educating them.

I am so glad I found this forum!  I've been experiencing the exact same thing after using the patch for a four day cruise!  The cruise was 6 weeks ago and I have been sick ever since with all the same symptoms listed above!  I have seen 4 doctors, my family doctor, a chiropractor, a neurologist and my kidney specialist.  None of them mentioned this and I told all of them that I used the patch.  I have missed 5 weeks of work and I too thought I was going crazy.  What a horrible feeling.  I am going to get some meclizine ASAP.  It is only available in the US and I am in Canada so I will be going over soon to get some!  Thanks to everyone for showing me this can be fixed!
Also, all of these drs diagnosed me with benign positional vertigo, which is clearly not what I have.
I have been on this patch for 3 1/2 years due to dr oversight. long-term used has caused medical problems (tachycardia, gastroparesis, blurred vision, SOB, really bad memory,etc. Two attempts to withdraw landed me in a er. going into the hospital to withdraw. I contacted a professor who did long-term scop use and he said no one has ever been on it as along as me. he anticipates a very long road. once done with the outpatient aspect *meclazine valium and zofran) I will continue to have episodes monthly for awhile. this drug enters the brain barrier. can't believe I am in this mess.