sensitive to loud noise
In mid June I came down with an ear infection in my left middle ear followed by tinnitus in my left ear. The tinnitus comes and goes. I can go two days with total silence and then the tinnitus starts to flare up and I have this tea kettle whistle in my left ear that lasts at least a day before it goes away. Then the cycle repeats itself again and again and again. I want to an ENT and he told me that both ears were clogged with ear wax. After the cleaning the tinnitus kept coming and going in the same old pattern--------gone for a day or two and then flares up for a day. But I now have a new problem----------sensitive to loud noises. Since the cleaning a month ago my ears are very sensitive to loud noises. I don't believe I have hyperacusis because everyday normal background noise and normal voice conversation are not a problem. But high pitched loud noises literally causes my ears to crackle and pop. I have gone back to my family doctor (not the ENT doctor) and he put me on antibiotics for ten days (two pills a day of AMOX) because he thinks I might have a severe inner ear infection. So far after 6 days nothing has changed.

I am now listening to television at volume levels that are so low that before the ear cleaning I could NEVER had heard them. For the first time I can hear the clock on the wall go tic tock. If anything my hearing has improved. Is this noise sensitivity normal after an ear cleaning? Why the tinnitus? I thought tinnitus was associated with hearing loss. Is it possible with time both the sensitivity and tinnitus will go away?