Ear, Nose & Throat Community
severe deviated septum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

severe deviated septum

I guess I should start with the fact that my husband has been suffering with this for 4 years. he never had any problems with sinuses or allergies or really anything until he worked in fiberglass for 10 months. Now he has constant pressure on his eyes, ears, and head. His throat closes or is so raw that he can't eat. We have found one doctor that dx a sever deviated septum. Unfortunately he needs 4,000.00 to fix something that might not even help. has anyone ever had a septum fixed? Does it work to alleviate all the pressure that is felt on the ears, eyes, and basically everywhere? I have several more questions, but they are for other groups. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
My husband had deviated septum surgery several years ago to help aleviate his severe headaches which are connected to his sinuses.  It didn't help AT ALL.  He still suffers terrible headaches and sinus pressure.  We paid a lot of money only for him to be in a lot of pain for a few days and he also had a nasal hemmorage afterward which was pretty scary. It actually made the pressure worse because they treated his sinuses with some procedure that made it sound to me like they either scraped them or stretched them...OUCH!  They also put splints up his nose on either side of the septum to keep it in place, which had to be removed a week or so later and it was pretty uncomfortable. My ENT also wanted ME to get surgery done for a deviated septum becuase I had chronic sinus infections...but I was able to get things under control with XLear (a saline nasal spray with xylitol, which is a natural antibacterial).  Doc gave me this as a LAST resort after all steroid sprays were ineffective and caused headaches.  Wish he would have given it to me first and I'm sure glad I didn't have surgery!  I'm not a Dr. but my advice would be to look for other answers.  Surgery should always be a last resort espically if you don't know if it will remedy the problem.  I have found that one of the best things for sinus issues is colloidal silver sprayed in the nose, once daily.  It's an antibiotic/antibacterial so it helps cure infections and keeps colds and flu at bay.  BUT DON"T SNIFF as that can make your sinuses hurt.
Just an added comment.  Colloidal Silver lozenges or liquid gargled is the BEST cure for sore throat I've ever tried.  It's usually immediate, COMPLETE, and lasts a long time.  I've never tried anything like it before..WAY better than Cloroseptic or salt gargle.  I like the Silva Solution lozenges...perhaps they would help his throat.  Hope this helps and good luck