Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sinus draineage smells and taste like "feces"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I had a real bad cold and was in bed sick for 3 days and was taking OTC meds for it and was recovering fine, until our sewer backed up in our basement(it was bad).although being sick i went down and cleared the sewer being careful not to get anything on me,bathed&washed completely afterwards.since that very moment my sinuses have been very painful anf my teeth and cheeks hurt throat sore and my nose just drips and my saliva and nose drainage are a clear yellow i have had a headache every since (3 days since) and my eyes hurt. constant temp around 101degrees.
the worst part is that my draineage smells and taste like ("feces"bad very strong oder)every time i take a breath it makes me wanna vomit.was my exposure to the sewer in my sick condition get some kinda bacteria or infection.I feel like i wanna stick my head in a blender.i cant get rid of that smell and taste.food and drinks taste like feces.both the mucus from my lung that i spit and drainage from nose both have same .for the love of God someone plz help me figure this out.!!!!!
Tags: smell
You could have picked up a bacteria from the sewage and have it start growing in the infected mucus you already had in your sinuses.  Or the smell could simply be a result of bacteria already in your sinuses from your sinus infection.  I've had the same problem from sinus infections, without having done any emergency plumbing.

The easiest way to get rid of it is to go to Walgreen's or any chain drug store and get a Neilmed Sinus Rinse and irrigate out the infected mucus.  That will work if it's only in your lower sinuses.  If the infection has spread to the upper sinuses, then a Flip-Turn Sinus flush will reach it

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The Flip-Turn Sinus Flush is mildly risky, because you have to bend over to do it, preferably in a shower, but you can also do it outside on soft ground.

Of course, you can also go to a doctor or an ENT and try the antibiotic route. That will probablty work also, and is more conventional, but it will take more time.
Thank you very much for your help.It is appreciated.I had thought that i was going crazy cause everyone kept telling me that they could not smell it and it has been getting stronger.  I think that it is in my upper and lower sinuses and has spread thru to my right ear. I will probably go both routes.. see an ENT and in the meantime start flushing it out as soon as possible.you as a member, are an asset to this web site!! God Bless and thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a disgusting poop smell also and I have had a fungal ball detected in my sinuses. I will probably have to have it removed surgically. It is very hard to wash this out as it is goopy and sticky. When I do manage to get stuff out it is like something out of a science fiction movie. Very dark green, lumpy, sticky mucus with other stuff mixed in as well.