Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sinuses and barometric pressure/change in weather

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Can the weather effect your balance and the feeling of pressure in your sinuses and in your head and ears ?  
i think it can. i have problems with dizziness (not true vertigo) and pressure in my head radiating from my sinus area. it seems to be worse when "air fronts" and storms pass over. maybe air pressure changes affect people with sinus congestin issues. can anyone confirm this??
I have suffered from major sinus problems......and yes when the weather changes i notice my sinus pressure increases...but just this week i had surgery for my deviated septum and turbinates.......im hoping this will help in the long run with my sinus and allergy problems........
I have vertigo ,and it seems as though I get most of my vertigo episodes before a rain strom,and /or during a rain strom Also when the humuity is highcould this be true?
Yes the weather definitely does cause what appears to be sinus pressure. My friends begin to laugh at me and ask me how the weather is going to be because I get terrible heads during weather changes - usually from cold to hot or hot to cold. I normally suffer the most during the hotter months may - september. My head gets so bad that I find it terribly hard to concentrate and always get dizzy. I am on here because I had the worst one yet a few days ago that is causing me to feel constantly dizzy. I can feel the pressure around my face and especially more when breathing through my nose. One find it hard to sleep and walk around and have never had the dizzyness for so long. Usually it lasts for an hour or three or maybe a night but this has lasted for three days now. It occurred on an especially warm day and at the end of that it got signifcantly cooler. WIthin an hour I almost fell over with the dizzy feeling and it made me worry to death all that night causing me to almost have a panic attack. I have suffered with it for many years and it runs in my family (my mum has it as well but in different ways)  and have managed to live with it because usually the doctors dont seem to care or dont understand how bad it makes me feel. For pretty much 1 month of the year I am useless to my employer because I cant concentrate at all. But just to finish where I started, I recognised the weather patterns a long time ago causing my congested heads so in my opinion this definitely is a cause. At times I thought of getting into mediccine and specialising in this area because we seem to be the lost cause of the medicine world. Its hard for them to understand so they basically forget about it.
I have always had some of the pressure with head aches but I wanted to sympathise withLandoman as I am struggling with Allergys (allergies) and Hives and have found the same lack of Knowledge and caring from any Medical Doctors in my area , and on reading many posts it is very prevelant, actually for me it is even worse I have had several misdiagnoses that have been scary, I am going the Natural Route for anything I get wrong now including research online and I feel better,for it.
today the weather was especially humid and i felt head pressure and dizziness that made me walk like a drunk. again, not true vertigo, more like the feeling you get in a head rush but without the wooziness, everything just looks kinda spacy and unstable. also i got this weird sensation like i was on an elevator going up and down quickly or on a boat in choppy water. it was like the floor beneath me would give out then suddenly jolt upward as i walked. i had to sit down it got so bad. is anyone familiar with that?
I got this problem too! My family said in the beginning when it was dark wheater: "well, everybody got bad days". But I can prove it 100% now because the equation: bad weather or changes = pressure in "frontal sinus", happens all the time, and hate it.
I have been dealing with Vertigo off and on now for 6 months. I have notice or have learned my body signals in regards to this condition. I get the vertigo symptoms when the clouds are are high numbers and the barometric pressure is going up right up to when it just pours and then it subsides and goes away. Don't panic people its probably something your body is starting to   react to in response to things like medications, medication withdrawls, depression, anxieties, diet and lack of sleep. I realized its something that could be around with me for a long time or rest of my life randomly. Its just how your body and mind responds to daily life pressures. Learn to chill out and not dwell on the condition, eat healthy, get enough sleep (this one is very important because I noticed when I burn the candle at both ends the vertigo problems pop up) Take care of your mind, body, and soul and I promise the episodes of vertigo will be far less or non existent. This vertigo condition tends to affect older people rather than the younger people. I'm 50 this past June oh well such is life.

Just don't let it consume you and focus on having a happy life, good diet if you can, quality sleep, and take allergy meds when the clouds and pollen come around. Good luck and God bless everybody.
Hey i have this same thing. I've been do doctors and have had blood tests and other tests done and nothing. What have you found out? anything?
Yup, the weather changing definitely causes it for me. Usually when it goes from sunny to rainy and vice versa... When there's a big change. Last week I woke up in the morning and everything was spinning. It felt like my bed was rolling, awful vertigo. I sat up and it went away after a while. Still felt spacy and pressure all day, but no vertigo. I realized it had rained that night after months of sunny warm weather, so that was likely the cause. I can feel pressure behind my eyes and am slightly off balance still, and it's been a week now. I use a net pot, run a humidifier at night (room seems too dry), and tried a decongestant. Still, every time I lay down and turn to the right, I'm getting vertigo. It makes it hard to sleep! I keep rolling to my left accidentally and waking with a jolt as the world spins. Awful. I'm trying to sleep propped up with pillows, but it's not working well. I hope it fades soon! I haven't
I'm sure I am single-handedly destroying my liver. I take Advil Cold and Sinus for nonstop headaches due to barometric pressure changes caused by weather.  The ear pain is also unbearable. I wish someone could figure out a cure.
been going for years to doctors with no help at all. they do not understand or know how to treat my ailments. right now I am suffering from sinus pressure, tiredness and even got my first vertigo attack while away in the Caribbean last winter. I feel nauseous dizzy, and its making me feel like I want to panic. I have no quality anymore, as there are constant weather changes these days, and I know that's my problem. Boy do I need help.
It's taken a few years, but I have finally made the connection as well :When the barometric pressure dives/  the change in the weather, makes for extreme ear pain, dizziness, with sometimes upset stomach and over all icky feeling. Once the weather stabelizes, my ears will feel better, meanwhile the transition is very uncomfortable.
I went to the ER 3 weeks ago due to vertigo. When the weather goes from 20 to 55 I seem to get blocked up and cant hear out of my left ear a swooshing noise when I move my head fast sometimes my ears become un plugged and the dizziness starts right awat. happened again last night it was 55 out 23 today..ugh The docs told me to take Claritin d and They gave me Meklazine for dizziness. The weathers been so off this winter...
I have vertigo and migraines and seasonal allergies and the weather fronts coming through the central U. S. are another factor that I'm constantly dealing with.  Those of us with these problems all agree that these weather patterns make our conditions worse.  Is there anywhere on the planet where the weather is more stable and we might be more comfortable/have a better quality of life?