Ear, Nose & Throat Community
small lump under left ear...what is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

small lump under left ear...what is it?

I recently found a small lump under my left ear. People are telling me different things like maybe its a swollen gland from an infection or an in grown hair. I feel fine. There are no symptoms of anything....just this lump. Its painless and about the size of a bean. Its not hard. i havent visited the doctor yet because im not sure if this is serious enough for a doctor but i am worried. i am 16 years old. What could it be?
Hi cristina5294,

This small swelling below your ear might be a lymph-node, which indicates an ongoing infection. If it is painless no need to worry, any increase in size or pain then you need to take antibiotics.

Regards
OHNS2010
Okay.....thank you. I still don't feel any symptoms and the size has remained the same. The only thing I'm worried about is that it might be a tumor of some kind but I did some research and they said tumors are usually hard lumps and mine isn't really hard. I'm a bit paranoid over this as you can tell. I guess finding a lump is a bit alarming.
Hi cristina5294,

Then I would like to advise you to get a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) done, with that probably your apprehension might come down. Any more doubts you are welcome.

Regards
OHNS2010
Okay. I'm just curious.... What does a FNAC detect?
My 5 year old son got bug bites on his head four days ago and had lymph node swelling along with it. Doctor looked and said to watch the lumps. Well, they have hardened today and don't move. That was quick. I can relate to your concern because here I am with a 5 year old mildly autistic boy that can't speak well.  go with ur instinct hun. Don't worry, but don't ignore it. Watch it weekly. I assure u its ok for now. Just watch yours.....if it hardens in a few weeks, go to doctor.
Thank you very much for the advice....I appreciate it. I'm not sure what the reason for this lump is but I'll keep an eye on it. I hope everything works out well with your son.
I had this when I was younger too.. bout the size of a bean right below my left ear.. it was weird.. it was like a huge bug bite but wasn't.. what I used was an anti fungal cream and this reduces it a little bit.. and eventually went away.. wouldn't hurt to try it out.. good luck!
Okay thanks. I'll try that and see how it goes.

FNAC is a small procedure where they will insert a needle into the lump and aspirate. So with that aspirate pathologist’s try to analyze what is nature of the cells and to which group do they fall under. This has its own limitations. In your case the lump might be either a parotid gland or a lymph node. FNAC does help in making a provisional diagnosis.

Regards
OHNS2010
If this truly is a small, superficial lump, then an excisional biopsy might be a good option.  This can be done in the office setting, completely gets rid of the lump and affords the most accurate diagnosis.  I wouldn't bother messing around with a needle biopsy if that is the case.  However, deeper lumps are probably best initially evaluated with a needle.  Excision, in this case, carries with it more risk and needs to be justified.  Good luck!

Definitely! Excision biopsy gives the most accurate diagnosis, no doubts about it. But, if it turns out to be a reactionary lymph node then there is no further treatment required, as it is harmless but, you have to accept the scar. If FNAC is done and if it turns out to be the same as mentioned above, you escape without a scar. There is always a second chance, for the excision if the FNAC proves to be something dangerous. Choice is yours.

Regards
OHNS2010
The lump is still there but the size hasn't changed. As i felt it it feels like it's attached to the bone. Can it still be a lymph node??
Also.... I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice! I really appreciate it. Hearing from other people Really helps me and makes me feel better!
It's really hard to say, Cristina.  But clearly this thing has you rather anxious, so you should probably just go in and get it checked out.  Everyone here is just speculating without being able to examine you properly and getting the needed information.
It's been about two weeks. Nothing has really changed with it and it hasn't gotten bigger which is good. I was able to make a doctors ap. but not until august:/
I also have one last question.... As I said before there are no symptoms. Can that mean that this lump might not be dangerous or go away on it's own? I'm just curious cause I feel completely normal and there's no pain at all.

It is usually a harmless lymph node probably enlarged because of some trivial infection, once the infection subsides the lymph node regress by itself. But, in few individuals it might remain there with out any change in size. This is not the case in any cancerous condition. Just forget about it than breaking your head for a simple thing . Any how you are having an ENT appointment in August, he will be the better judge for you.

All the Best

Regards
OHNS2010
The size still remains the same. The only time I really ever notice it is if I touch my neck or something. My doctors appoinent is soon. I'll keep everyone posted.
Good Luck
Thank you
My neck is a little sore on the side of the swollen lymph node.When i move my jaw it hurts a little. Any reason this could be happening?

There is ongoing infection in your throat I suppose. Try with antibiotics and analgesics (such as Ibuprofen/Diclofenac).

Regards
OHNS2010
I've been taking ibuprofen which has helped and the pain has gone. However, I noticed that when I move my neck to the right the lymph node sticks out more and it almost moves. Not sure if this is normal?
i have a lump under my ear what could it be is it dangerous