Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sneezing and hearing loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sneezing and hearing loss

I have been sneezing and stuffy nose 5 weeks now. I have also had my left ear go out, meaning I can no longer hear in my left ear. I have tried Claritin, Benydryl, I have used ERO ear wax removal for the ear but it is still "blocked" and I can't stop sneezing and watery eyes, and runny nose and stuffy nose no matter what medication I take. Help, It's been  5 WEEKS not stop of this!!!
You had better see your doctor and ask them to do a screening hearing test in their office to see if your hearing loss is due to a Eustachian-tube problem (which can be a result of the cold) or possibly a sensorineural (inner-ear) hearing loss. A virus can attack the inner ear and cause permanent hearing loss. This is best treated immediately.

Your PCP should be able to do a kind of rough hearing test with a tuning fork in their office. If there is any suspicion of a sensorineural hearing loss, they should absolutely send you for a hearing test at an ENT's office.

Also you might just need earwax removed. Home remedies don't always work.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears. This can also result in infection of the ears. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations can help clear the tube. Please consult your family physician.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.