Ear, Nose & Throat Community
something stuck in throat...on vocal cords

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

At the age of 14, I got a severe sinus infection. Nasal passages filled with a very sticky mucus that seemed to turn to cement in my nose, also had a constant need to try and clear out my throat but with no results until a penesilin shot and antibioltics. I've alway had sinus problems since then and ALWAYS have something stuck in my throat.  Several years ago, I complained of this and had an x-ray taken. Afew days later, someone called me from the medical clinic where I had this done and adviced that I see an ear, nose, and throat specialist.  She actually was quite concerned. I did not/could not see a specialist as I was adviced.  Afew years later, I developed laryngitis, went to the doctor (Phycision's Asst.) and she perscribed an antibiotic along wtih several boxes of a new product;  don't remember the name; but she said to double the amount of what was perscribed on the box and cut the timeing down from every 4 hrs to 3 hrs.  Whatever this stuff was, was amazing. I began to have to cough up what I thought would be just phlem.. but was also large hard chunks of something that apparently came off the vocal cords. At the same time, having to ALOT of kleenex to blow my nose and OMG.. never knew there could be so much coming out; seemed never ending!  Anyway, has anyone ever experienced anything like this?  I  cannot remember the name of the product that the P.A. gave me only that it came in a light brown/cream colored box with I believe some orange coloring as well. Does anyone have any idea as to what that product might be?  This sample was given to me something back in the early '90's.  HELP.. need to find the name of this product and perhaps get a perscription from my present doctor.
Tags: something stuck in throat, vocal cords, sinus infec.stuck on vocal cor
I don't know, but you might just want to see an ear, nose and throat specialist, because they likely would as well as they can take a look down your throat with a small tube.  They can not only look for what might be on your vocal cords, but they can check for L.P.R.D. (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux disease) as well!

I know when I was very sick with a bad flu which lasted for weeks, with lots of congestion, I was prescribed both Humibid (likely generic) and a cough medicine that had phenergan in it.  

Another time, I took some drops that Walmart was discontinuing that had golden seal in them- they tasted nasty and had to mixed in grape juice to hide the flavor, but it worked quite well for drying me up when I had a cold I think it was.

Another idea to try to get the name of the medication is to find a pharmacist that's been practicing at least since the time you took the medicine and see if they have an idea of what it might have been.
Thank you so much for your suggestions.. I will be speaking with a local pharmacist about this and yess... i think an ear, nose, and throat specialist is definitely a consideration.   Thanks again,
Janniann
You're welcome!