Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sore in nose was white - now gone red and sore

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

i had a white patch inside my nose and it wasnt sore - ive been using sterimar to try and increase the moisture in my nose as sometimes it seems dry in morning
i have used nasal sprays in past - otrivine - beconase but decided to stop using them as sterimar is natural and kind enough for babies
- so it hurts abit when i blow my nose on the side the sore it - the sore is on the inner side of my nose not outer
is this going to heal ? if i keep using the stermiar or do i need to see a doctor for antibiotic cream is vaseline ok ? this sore is red - i did have tiny blood spots in my  mucus a while back but i think this may be as the nose was dry . but then again i wake up with dry mucus around my nose sometimes
i was pescribed with sinusitus a month ago and took some anti biotics and im not as stuff anymore - think this sterimar is great -
pls help
if you were precsribed otrivine - beconase, that's a treatment for allergic rhinitis (hayfever).  antibiotics are not helpful in allergic rhinitis.  vaseline is fine, but won't decrease your inflammation.

what's sterimar?  never heard of it.

sinusitis treatment requires both antibiotics as well as nasal steroids like you were prescribed with beconase.
Sterimar is a nasal spray based on sea water with its concentration of sodium chloride reduced to the level found in the human body. The sea water contained in Sterimar contains trace elements which offer a number of benefits. Copper, manganese, gold, silver are all valued for their antiseptic, anti-inflammatory or anti-allergy properties.

so ive been using stermiar  as it seems to have hydrated my nose (no longer dry in the morning) also i  feel its unblocking my nose and its safe enough for babies so thats fine with me!
i was on antibitoics and also the doc gace me an inhaler as she listened to my chest and said i have a touch of asthma - (never had before - im 29) also i wheeze in the morning and its ok by mid morning (no wheezing)

in the morning i find dry mucus around my nose(hence maybe i should put vaseline there) is this the sterimar doing its job over night?

can the skin in my nose heal ok with stermiar or do you think i need antibiotic cream - it just seems  bit sore when i blow it

IM REALLY CONCERNED THTA MY NOSE HURTS ON ONE SIDE NEAR SEPTUM
COULD ALL THE NASAL SPRAYS HAVE DAMAGED THE MEMBRANE OR OR SKIN?
THE WHITE PATCH HAS STRIPPED OFF LEAVING RED SORE SKIN
Oh!  sterimar would be very helpful.  saline rinses help many with sinusitis.  no need or creams

nasal steroid sprays can erode away the mucous membrane in the nasal septum.  this is because it thins the skin.  spray away from the septum when using these sprays.
yes i didnt think nasonex was good -  should they not warn people that it can do that the nose?
the sterimar has no chemicals and so i feel this is good and it hydrates my nose  - sometimes in morning i feel heating in house dries nose up
the patch has gone in my nose which is great - does that mean infection has gone or the nose is hydrated normally now?
i have a slight cut at the end of my nostril and could this be from nasonex and nasal sprays and constant blowing?
i have put a  bit of germolene second skin on the end which stops any thing getting to it to get it to heal- can it heal? its very tiny - probably only me can really see it close up - but i hope it doesnt split more but i doubt that - doesnt skin heal itself ? is   calendula cream healing for sore skin?
thanking you - kindest regards
Nasonex is good, and I use it for my own allergies.  They do warn about nosebleeds and risk of perforation in the package insert.  You just have to be careful to point it away from the septum.

sterimar sounds great.  

the slight cut sounds like it's from your blowing/wiping.  unlikely from nasonex

wound healing is improved by keeping it wet which i suppose your germolene helps with.  yes, skin heals itself.  haven't heard of calendula cream, what's in it?

I suppose  when i used nasonex i did insert it up my nose past the septum buit i got slight head aches too so no more of that!
calendula cream is just for healing skin - google it and you will see
are you from america? this is such a great website  - thanks
I'm a doctor in Palo Alto.

if you point the nasonex away from the middle of your nose, point it towards the ear on that side, that can decrease nosebleeds.

Where r u from?
where is aplo alto? im from the united kingdom
last night my nose was bleeding when i blew it  - no nose bleed however on looking up the nose the septum area was very red indeed - there was blood in my mucus
is there any way the stermar is bad ? or douching is bad? - ive been using the emcar ****** - pls google to see if you think  its ok
can either of these products strip my skin or make it roar?? just concerned now as its so red inside? is it because the white patches have gone  and skin hasnt healed yet
pls hellp - i was so worried last night about the blood in mucus - u seee sterimar keeps it hydrated but maybe its making my nose roar? pls help!  thanks
Palo Alto is in California

We don't have stermar here, but it sounds like nasal saline, and if so, no, nasal douching with it would not be bad.  what's emcar?

saline should not strip the skin

what do you mean by "roar"?
hello
sorry took so long to reply - wow california - would love to  see one day
sorry roar - i mean sore or dehydrated rather
i used nasal ****** - that emcar is just the brand - i did nasal ****** last night and my nose has been running al day - tonight i am blowing when necessary and there is green bits of mucus  and then sometimes clear - is green meaning still infection
nasal wash i mean - it wont let you see second word after nasal
it comes with nasal salts too - special for the nose
if emcar is a nasal saline rinse that's great!  it really helps clear out the sinuses and help it drain.  using it before nasal medications like steroids help those work better.
sometimes after using the saline rinse - it just makes my nose run like a tap and its usuallybefore bed and so i sleep with a tissue propped under my nose
i dont know whats going  on - im still stuffy in my nose - used becanose for a couple of days but will it take a long time before i feel affects? can beconase thin the skin on my nose if used for too long? its like my nasal passages are closed up
is it true something can spread to brain if not treated? someone said that an infection if left too long can spread to brain???
like today when i sniff up its just no air going up one nostil and sounds like a horrible snotty cold up  the other and slight wetness arouhnd nostrils - like a bit runny
its getting me down!
Beconase needs to be used for weeks before you fell the effects.

Yes, any nasal steroid can thin the skin and lead to bloody noses, the risk of this can be reduced if you point the tip of the bottle in the direction of the ear on the same side of the head, when spraying the medicine.

deep nasal infections such as abscesses can spread to the brain, this is virtually unheard of in the western world when infections are treated early.

go see your doc!
that sounds worrying - spead the brain
its not bleeding today - ive decided just to carry on with the saline spray and if it continues to look red and whatever then i will see a doc
a friend of mine has same symptons and they gave her nasonex
maybe i need anti biotics
to be honest im also scared as ive done cocaine on new years eve and im scared they will be able to tell or put it on my medical records
nasal issues run in the family - mum cousin and grandpa seems to be blocked etc so im assuming its not cocaine anyway
how would yo uknow if it was an abssess ? are their any symptons to know its one of those in the nose
If your friend had the same symptoms and got nasonex, that sounds like more of a nasal allergy rather than infection.  Antibiotics could be used to help infection.  Cocaine doesn't predispose one to get infections, and can't be seen on physical examination unless you used it so frequently as to cause thinning of the nasal tissues.

If your cousin and grandpa have allergic rhinitis, I'd presume that's more likely to be the problem than infection (which can lead to abscess very very rarely).  Infection is shown by one sided pain radiating down to teeth, fever, ***** discharge.
thanlk you so much for replying - i always appreciate it

how can you tell thinning of the nasal tissues? i mean when i look - it looks normal but just red sometimes - whats infection in the nose? do you think whitish blobby discharge i can see up there is a sign of infection ? or just left over mucus of nasal sprays etc - im trying to stop using any nasal spray now apart from saline spray which has no drugs in it

today i woke up and blew my nose and was not too bad - as soon as i leave the house and get to work - my nose is running and when i blow its clear  mucus  - on a good note my nose doesnt feel sore at all - its definatly snotty though - when i breathe in through nose its not clear like im sure most people's are!

i used saline spray a few times during the night and i think by the time i wake up its cleansed the nose a little although not really unbocked it fully  do you think thats true and saline sprays are good  and harmless  ?  also shall i just stick with beconase the same time every day ? or i can use fluxonase?  it wont thin the skin will it? i know nasonex gave me a head ache - just want something to work !!!!!!!!
do you know what dr! its like a permanant cold ! thats the way to describe it
bit runny and then stuffy - occcasionally its all ok
really want it sorted
so you dont think i need anti biotics? i guess i need a doc to have a look and they can decide what i need
saline sprays are good and harmless.  Many of my patients use nasal rinses and get a lot of relief.

fluxonase, don't know what that is.  sounds like a nasal steroid like nasonex or beconase.  they're interchangeable.  they can thin the skin in the middle of your nasal septum, but you can prevent that by pointing towards the ear so it doesn't get on the septum as much.

it's not a cold. not from a virus.  it's an allergy.
hiya
i think i should go to the doctors and get allergy tested ! i think it would be best thing to do - could be anything ! could be wheat dairy house mites etc although can i ask you - could an allergy inflame the nasal passages ? i know an allergy can make the nose runny and even itchy but can an allergy make a person blocked up and runny at the same time!

i must say i was all dried  up this morning - so my nose wasnt runny or even too blocked and i have realised after a shower it starts it up again ... i guess i could do with trying no shower before i go to work tomorrow and see if there is any change!

flixnase is
is an aqueous spray that contains 50 micrograms of fluticasone propionate as the active ingredient in each spray. It also contains microcrystalline cellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, dextrose, polysorbate 80, purified water, dilute hydrochloric acid and preservatives: benzalkonium chloride and phenylethylalcoho
yes, allergies often inflame the nasal passages, making a person blocked up and runny at the same time.

fluiticasone in the USA is generic, it was called flonase when it was branded. it's a nasal steroid and can be very helpful if you try it for at least a few weeks before seeing if it helps or not
I drain to the back of my throat,I have to clear my throat quite often during the day..The mornings and after the end of the work day are the worst.I am constantly gaging.Their are times that I try so hard to clear my throat that I get stabing pain on my chest. Any suggestions,spend at least 15 to 20 mintens clearing my throat.

Thank You
                                                                         DT

Hi! I'm Piet's sister; pleasantly surprised to see your name.  Hope all is well with you & your kind family. (I treasure the portrait your wife created of Piet).  My husband intermittently has white patches inside his nostrils--usually after pulling nose hairs. Today, we "popped" one and it felt instantly somewhat better... allowing some pus to come out. He used Neosporin. They come on fast & are so painful; causing even the outside of his nose to get red. Could it be something more than a pimple?