Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sore throat and uvula after procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sore throat and uvula after procedure

I had an outpatient gyn procedure done 4 days ago with post procedure mouth, uvula, and throat soreness.  By the evening, my uvula was so long and red, it was gagging me.  The area of the throat directly behind the uvula and the right tonsillar pillar was red and sore.  Slowly, over the past few days, the uvula has shortened, but still rests on my tongue.  The lower third of it is now grayish-white.  The area behind the uvula is looking better and so is the tonsillar pillar, but my posterior mouth is so sore!  It seems to be sore above my soft palate, posterior tongue, uvula, and throat.  In looking at my mouth, it looks mildly red, not too remarkable.  
My gyn procedure went well and was only 15 min. long.  The nurse anesthetist said he would 'do it the easy way' while I was under general anesthesia, which I understood that meant I would have something resting in the back of my mouth and not full intubation.  I went into the OR after 9 a.m. and was recovered and went home at noon.  I am not aware of any complications due to the anesthesia.
I had knee surgery 6 months ago due to an accident and was sore due to the intubation, but it resolved without incident.  This is different.  I do not have a fever, but have decreased appetite and an inability to eat spicy, salty, and sweet as it hurts!  Swallowing large gulps of fluid is also painful.  I am a healthy non-smoker who is looking for some answers and comfort!
Hi Pump999,

you are having pharyngitis compounded with the aphthous ulcer over the uvula. This is common with the people who undergo procedures under general anesthesia. Hope they would have introduced Laryngeal mask as it was a short procedure. One more thing, to clear your worries these ulceration over the uvula can be due to surgical stress or compression of the mask over it. So I would like to advice you to take plenty of warm water (not hot water), do gargles with Povidone iodine and take some B-complex capsules. Hope with this your symptoms must reduce, if not you will require antibiotics to recover.

regards
OHNS2010
It sounds like you suffered some damage to your uvula secondary to the apparatus placed in your throat to assist with ventilation during the procedure.  The pressure likely resulted in some ischemic trauma to the uvula and the posterior pharyngeal wall. This should heal/recover on its own in time (a week or so).  This should be brought to the attention of the anesthesia team, however, as they need to be aware of such complications!
My uvula was damaged by the anesthetist -- according to my ENT surgeon -- during sinus surgery. It is swollen, elongated, and I tend to choke on it.
The surgery took place on October 28, 2011 (Poudre Valley Hospital, Fort Collins, CO) and the damage remains as it was following surgery although it is now one week later.
Will this condition disappear without further intervention? If so, over what period of time may I expect to become healthy again?
Thanks,
Eric        learning_one***@****
Thanks,
Eric        learning_one***@****
Omg......it's such a relief to read that others are experiencing this as well.  I am sooooo frustrated and I am in severe pain!   I had a septoplasty done 5 days ago and they damaged my uvula and throat.  GRrrrrr......  I thought the majority of my pain would result from the actual surgery.  I didn't feel the major discomfort immediately after my surgery.  The awkward feeling in my throat was felt upon waking up the next morning.  I could barely swallow as I could feel my uvula rest on the back of my tongue and when I looked to see it was half white????   I was definately concerned and proceeded to look up what could have caused this.  As time progressed........it got worse............so sore.........the pain was radiating up the back of my throat and up to my ear drums.  (stabbing pain in my ears)  I got myself to a clinic on the Saturday morning (surgery was Wednesday) and the doc tested me for Strep and it was negative.  He didn't see infection in my ears so he gave me a Tantum gargle.  I knew this wouldn't cut it but what could I do??  I left a little depressed.....  I have been taking my Tylenol 3's with codeine (mostly taking 1 every 4 hours) but it is not putting a dent in the searing pain.  I can barely sleep at night......the second the pain meds start to wear off I can barely stand myself.  The pain shooting up to my ears is a mystery to me and so I went back to the clinic again today and he gave me antibiotics this time but he did so a little reluctantly.  I have a feeling that the pain is related to some sort of infection......because I feel weak and drained.....almost feverish.  I've been on Tylenol the entire time and so I am wondering if that has somehow masked a fever?  Anyways.............here's hoping this solves the problem.  I would also like to take this opportunity to ask doctors to not wait 3 weeks after surgery to see how things are healing..................too LONG.  I can only speak for myself here but my doctor didn't give me any indication that there were issues when they tried to intubate me!!  They had to have known something went wrong.  She could have taking a minute to give me some tips on how to handle this kind of pain instead of writing me a prescription and sending me on my way knowing full well what I was in for.  I'm a bit angry!  The standard .....see you for a follow up in 3 weeks should be moved up if they feel there were complications.  I really did get the impression the patients were like cattle beying pushed out of the day surgery as quickly as possible.  What a business.....I am angry but I am mostly sad to see how the system seems to be despite the best efforts of some of the staff there.  (there were some really amazing nurses but.....they have people breathing down their necks and they barely stop to catch their breath.  Take that extra few minutes for patient care...........it will save a minimum of two to three extra trips to the clinic or doctors office afterwards.  Trips that sick patients would prefer to not have to do when they feel like ****.  There are some great doctors out there.......I'm not criticizing you but you have some who are so arrogant!!!   They do the proceedures and then you can't get near them if anything goes wrong.  It's like there's a wall that sets them appart from the rest of us.....???  Stupid idiots!!  Almost half of the doctors I've encountered personally have a superiority complex.  The last one I had was covering for my family doctor when I gave birth to my second child.  He never came in to do his rounds for him and we coudn't get discharged until he did.  He got pissed off at the nurses for calling him to come in and then tried to tell the afternoon shift that he had already come in to do his rounds early.  (BIG FAT liar) I sent his office the bill for our second night in our room.  It turns out he went for a job and brunch because it was such a nice day.  Classic.....................  Anyways...........I'm venting............but it's making me feel better.  I may just got to medical school and be a great doctor.  The world needs a few more.  
I agree it is a relief knowing other people have had the same thing. I had 2 buried teeth removed under general and after 2 revisits to the hospital, found out that my uvula had been scratched whilst the breathing tube was inserted or removed. Never experienced worse pain in my entire life. I haven't eaten in 4 days and have just been forcing myself to drink water but thankfully it's healed a lot and I think it'll be ok in a couple of days. It was severely ulcerated and white and now the white has almost faded and it's very red.

I too am experiencing severe pain in my ears however it's only brief and after swallowing. It doesn't sound very nice but I've been spitting all my saliva into  cup rather than swallowing it as the pain is so severe. When I drink the pain is just about bearable but I wince and afterwards have to sit still for a few minutes to get over the pain/shock.

When I went to the hospital for the second time I met a Dr who was part of the team who performed my surgery. She said there are 4 different types of throat with the 4th having the smallest throat. I was told most people who have this type of throat suffer from this and that if I ever have surgery in the future it's likely I'd get this again.

To anyone reading this who is suffering from it, keep your mouth clean and gargle anti-bacterial mouthwash but don't use one with alcohol in if you're taking antibiotics that don't mix with alcohol.

Also don't eat any food which could re-scratch it like bread or anything hard. Jelly and soup is what I tried but I couldn't manage it. Anything hot or even warm will make it feel much worse because it cause inflammation. So consume cold or room temperature food/drink. Anything with milk in like ice cream or milkshakes aren't advisable because they make you salivate more. It's the same with orange juice. Pineapple juice is good because it has natural painkillers and antibiotics in it but may sting if the ulcers are still exposed.

Other than that mine's not far from healing completely and it's been 7 days since the operation and 5 since the ulcers appeared.

Wish anyone who has this well as I can safely say at 1 point I was close from going mad from the pain. It's so extreme.
I had a FESS & septoplasty on Friday morning, it's now Tues morning and my pain is unbearable in my throat.  My uvula is almost completely gray, swollen so much it's hanging down onto the base of my tongue & the sides of my tongue, tonsils & throat are on fire. Can't eat anything but cream of chicken soup & ice. I was also on antibiotics following surgery.  Going back to GP to see what they can do about it tomorrow.  The pain has been so intense at times I've gone into a blind panic trying to reduce it.  I feel like ripping my throat out.....this is worse than the procedure carried out by far.
Glad to read others have had similar because the pain is so intense I felt something was hideously wrong.
Wow I can't believe how common this is. I had a three hr gynae procedure done on weds from which I'm almost recovered (4 days post-op). However after coming round properly the most severe pain was on my throat.

Was of course told by the incredibly busy and dare I say incompetent nursing staff that its normal. However they kept me in an extra night as I was unable to swallow liquids.

After kicking up a stink they sent me to ENT who told me I'd had an uvula trauma during intubation. When I looked I couldn't believe it. My uvula was completely grey and twice its size. One side of my soft palate was sliced and my throat was white. He said to eat ice cream! WTF!?

4 days on and I've been back as I simply can't function like this. My tummy has healed well but I'm too weak to fully recover cos I can't eat or drink.

They explained there was nothing I could do, that day 4 is always the peak when feeling with mucosa traumas (in the mouth, nose, lips etc) and to expect to feel better by tomorrow.

I swear I have never been in so much pain -and I've given birth! I seriously want to sue them for negligence.

The only plus is that I've got really skinny.. Every cloud huh!
The same thing happened to me! I had a septoplasty on Monday and it is now Friday and the uvular pain has only gotten worse. It is mostly white at the bottom but feels heavy and is hanging down low. When I called my doctor he said, "That's unusual", as if he had never heard of it before. He told me to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't resolve in a few days call them back. This board has been more useful than the entire surgical team, ha!
I see your uvula problem from 2011.  I just had op and have what you described.  Did yours get better?  What happened and how fast?
Greatly appreciate to know how your story looked from 3 years' distance?
hi finerf, i work in a hospital as a nurse and have also suffered from this. the problem will always resolve it self. however some people suffer from uvula necrosis, this is where the uvula will actually die off and remove it self from the rest of the body, however this isnt always the case pain usual subsides between 7 and 10 days.
Thanks for posting.  Your situation sounds just like mine.  Did yours get better on its' own?