Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sore throat for a long time, can it be due to STD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I suffer from sore throat for a long time. It started four months ago, got worse and was very painful on the left side of my throat then got better sometimes but never disappeared. My doctor diagnoised me several times but couldn't find any specific reasons.I had all blood tests, MRs but no result except for a small swollen lymph node.

Five months ago I had protected vaginal sex and oral sex with someone and then suffered from a STD( itching penis) which lasted for two months. I also had HIV test after 38 days which was negative. my doctor told me that this might be due to a virus although I didn't understand how I got it when protected. I found my partner who also took a test and was negative.

for the last one month I had the feeling that my left ear opens when I swallow.

some internet sites claim that HIV may cause chronic sore throat,
and I am very anxious.what can be the reason for that?
well, first of all, you can rely 100% hiv test neg.
2nd  oral sex is extremely low in terms of hiv.protected sex,well no chance. 3rd, shes negative. nohiv here.
lingering sore throat, that one is tricky. but you can rule out hiv.
stds, doubt it, let say it was gonno or clamm, did you get antibiotics during your cold?
Post nasal drip and acid reflux can cause throat irritation.
You have a persistant inflamation (inflammation) of the tonsils. It it causes by the Cold virus. The cold virus hibernates in the throat and lies dormant and activates in the right conditions. The best treatment to do is to gargle hot salt water twice a day. Not too hot but as warm as you can take it without scalding your throat. Another thing is to get 'manuka honey'. it is a natural antiseptic. two tablespoons of that a day. but remember that once the sore throat goes away do not finish the treatment. You have to kill the rest of the dormant virus. so keep up the treatment for about 2 weeks after the last known symptoms.
almos the same symptoms. It is not so much a sore throat that I have tho. Mine seems to be just a feeling of slight discomfort in my throat (left side close to my adams apple) I would see my doctor because a sore throat that does not go away is a sign of cancer. Do you smoke or drink alot? both of those activities may cause throat cancer. Not to scare you or anything but this is what's going through my mind as well. Good luck and take care (God bless)
I am suffereing from throat disorders since 3 years and met many doctors at various time. I feel there is swelling inside the throat and it found in x rays also and with some medicines it cured many times but came again and now doctors asked me to do the endoscopy to find what is the problem there. there is cough sometims and sputum comeout after that, but the conggestion in the throat is still there. Please advise.