Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sore throat with rash?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sore throat with rash?

About a month ago I had a mild cold, lasted maybe 4 days. On the 2nd day I developed a severe acne like rash on my forehead overnight (seen 2 dermatologists, one thinks its just acne the other says its definitely not acne so I'm still at a loss) this then spread to my chin and about 2 days ago appeared on one side of my neck and today a couple of spots came up the other side and back of my neck. Spots are a bit itchy and sore but no pus or anything. Was given antibiotics 3 weeks ago for the rash so far only mild improvement and still spreading. A few days after the rash first appeared I developed a sore throat which got worse and I still have. I have never had a sore throat like this before. Its very painful, usually only when swallowing but occasionally it will just twinge almost like a cramp. Its not raw or scratchy, no horseness or cough, can't see anything unusual. The pain is on the right hand side but today the left side has started to feel not painful but almost like there is a hair in the back of my throat (r side is still v painful). I'm starting to worry that the 2 Things are connected - I'm seeing doctor next week but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas in the meantime? Thanks :)
  • adenotensillectomy
    My 4 year old daughter is scheduled to have adenotonsill...[more]
  • lumpy (1 replies):
    ear, nose and throat dr. told me i had a elevated vein i...[more]
  • Rash (2 replies):
    rash behind both ears what could it be?
  • cough (1 replies):
    i had a bad cough and was told it was upper respitory in...[more]
  • Sore Throat and Rash
    I've been having sore throats for the past 2 months and ...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The rash could be Hives, which develop in response to an allergic reaction, by the release of histamine. The allergen can be medications, food, extremes of temperature, exercise and viral infections to name a few. Since you developed the outbreak with the sore throat, the most likely cause would be a viral infection and the source of your infection could be the throat. So, therapy lies in resolving the infection and anti-histamines. In addition you could take OTC multivitamins. Take plenty of warm oral fluids. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and stream inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals. So, don't worry and discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.