Ear, Nose & Throat Community
sphenoid sinus cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sphenoid sinus cyst

Hi, i was just wondering if a sphenoid sinus cyst could cause any vision problems?  Described on mri as: a nonenhancing cystic mass measuring 14mm located along the posterior wall of the right sphenoid sinus medially and anteromedially to the right medial pterygold muscle.  That was an mri from last january.  I've had vision problems and swelling and damage of my right optic nerve.  Thanks for any input!
The MRI should have shown if the cyst was pressing on the optic nerve, but that sounds unlikely.  If vision's affected, it makes sense to get close followup with an ophthalmologist.
Thank you for your response.  That's good to know.  I was curious because the neurologist i was seeing at the time (last feb.) said the cyst would not cause any of the problems i'm having but said he would probably repeat the mri in 3 or 4 months to check on the cyst.  I have since stopped seeing him so i never had another mri.  Then went to a neuro ophthalmologist in august because of vision problems which is when she told me of the swollen optic nerve.  I had eye muscle surgery (4th cranial nerve palsy) so i am following up with her in december.  Again i appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question!
Ask the neuro-ophthalmologist for the repeat MRI, and if they're unwilling to order it, see another neurologist so you can find out the status of that cyst.
Thank you, i am seeing a new neurologist in jan. at osu so hopefully i'll have more luck then.
Good luck at OSU, ohio state university?  Who there?
Yeah, ohio state university.  Doctor's name is Yousef Mohammad, hopefully he's a good doctor, it took 3 months to get an appointment.
3 months, wow.  Perhaps you can ask to be seen in Dr. Mohammad's resident's or fellow's clinic?  That's one way to get in sooner.  The idea is that OSU has neurology residents & fellows who are in training, who Dr. Mohammad oversees.  Perhaps that's a quicker way to get to see him.
Thank you, i will have to check into it, i would have never thought of that.  I started seeing an internal med. doc (resident) at osu (well actually 3 because they switch out every month) after my family doc retired.  The first doc i really like, he seems pretty knowledgeable and actually did some tests and well the second one she proceeded to tell me what diagnosis she could put in my chart and her words "bill me for".  So that was quite interesting.  So they both said you need to see one of our neurologists and referred me to Dr. Mohammad.  It's been a long year, so i'm hoping new doc can shed some light on the situation.  Once again i thank you for your input, your a saint to actually spend your own time on this forum answering everyone's questions.
it's fun.  i find it therapeutic after a long day in clinic, to do something for free.

go see he residents/fellows in Mohammad's clinic, that way you can be seen earlier.  good luck
Thank you, happy holidays!
happy turkey day ;)
I know this was a couple months ago but I was searching sphenoid cyst ( I just got diagnosed with one) and came across your post.  Dr Yusef Mohammed is my neurologist who I have been seeing for a couple years for unrelated reasons.  I LOVE him and I hope your experience with him is a good one.  He is very intense and takes a little bit of getting use to but he is very thorough and really listens to everything I have to say.  Good luck and if you every check back here, let me know how things are going!

My daughter is 7 and her MRI just showed  cyst in the sphenoid sinus.what is this.Her nerologist has not let me know anything on it yet.is it something i need to worry about?Can you tell me where it is and how she would have gotten it?She also has a cyst on the right ventrical of her brain could these be related?
Sorry sent question to wrong person,,,,
my daughter is 7 and her Mri just showed cyst in the sphenoid sinus.what is this?Her neurologist has not let me know anything yet.Is  It Something I need to worry about?Can you tell me Where this is and how she would have gotten it/She also has a cyst on the right ventrical of her brain could these be related?.....Please Help........
I know that it is a few months past your post, but I just read your question concerning your daughter's recent MRI.  I personally have had MUCH experience with this type of issue.  I had series of 4 surgeries to remove a cyst from my sphenoid sinus...  I am definitely NOT a doctor, but am a person that has been through the procedures (both the right and wrong way) to get this removed.  Please, please, please feel free to email me with any questions that you might have!  ~Michele  (***@****)
I am new to this forum.  I was recently diagnosed with a thickening of the lining and growth in the sinus cavity at the base of the brain, which was found accidentally on a CT scan for another matter.  It is not boney in nature.  My family doctor is referring me to an ENT specialist, however it could take several months.  I live in Canada.  Could you please give me some information in regard to this matter.  I thank you for your time.