Ear, Nose & Throat Community
strep throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

strep throat

One of my bosses at work had strep throat..she was out but came back early because she was bored at home...I go home later that day, and by that night, i'm burning up...next day, my temp reaches 103.7..i have a migraine, body aches, nausea, huge lumps in my throat that make it hard to talk and swallow....my boyfriend gets the same symptoms the same day...he waits a day to go to the doctor...he comes back and they're treating him for strep throat...so by putting context clues together, i must have strep throat...but i'm without medical insurance..i'm scared to go to the doctor because i cant afford the bill by myself...so can i fight strep throat without antibiotics? or do i need to take medicine to fight it off? my friend at work gave me an antibiotic her husband got for an infection, and its labeled sulfameth/TMP...would that medicine possibly cure my strep throat?..i've read about the side effects, and i know you're not supposed to take medicine that isn't prescribed to you, but i dont really have a choice, except to take it or not...so would it be worth it to try it and see if my strep throat clears up? or is it not even possible for it to work on such an infection?
One of the problems I see here is the drug that is available to you is sulfa based....  which some people react to in pretty bad ways.  One can develop Steven Johnson syndrome & end up dyeing a horrid death. Basically you get leasions that look like herpes, and eventually die. The drug is basically Bactrim, which is a great drug designed to kill streptococcus. I was on it for about 2.5 days (took 6 tablets) and started to develop slight sores in my mouth. The doctor (bless him) told me to get off of in ASAP. You see, this drug likes to head for mucus membranes, I was on the drug for a UTI. Now if it I am developing sores in my mouth because that is where mucus membranes reside...  imagine what Bactrim can do to someones urethra?!  No thanks, that area is pretty tender in the first place. I don't need anything else causeing issues down south.

BTW, the doctor RX the drug for 10 days, then I find information on the net that said Bactrim should be taken for 3 days, and 3 days is just as effective as 7-10 days & if taken longer than 3 days it only increases the risk for a bad reaction......     you have to be your own doctor this day and age.

I encourage you to read the below link

http://briandeer.com/septrin/bactrim-pdr.htm

After that, you are an adult, make your own informed decissions. But I do not doubt a doctor would put you on some medication, and all medications have their risks.

No medical insurance...  such is the life in America these days.  We'd rather destroy nations than build up our own.