Ear, Nose & Throat Community
stuffy nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

stuffy nose

I changed my pillow protector and I thought my problem was solved but I still wake up with a stuffy nose.  Could it be my sleep apnea machine?  Or something else?  I'm fine once I'm awake and I go downstairs.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The allergens can be from the CPAP machine. The filters and the tubing needs to cleaned regularly, it could harbor dust mites and sometimes fungal spores. Have this checked out.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi DrAnitha:  I've tried everything!  My nose is fine for a while and then I wake up at 3 in the morning with a stuff up nose.  Could it be dust?  Or is there something wrong with my machine?  This is a fairly new machine.  I got it the beginning of this year.  I didn't have too many problems with the old machine except it kept shutting off.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If everytime you use the machine, you develop a stuffy nose, it is an allergic reaction to the machine. But if it an occasional occurrence, not related to the machine, it could be due other causes like dust. In all, the primary treatment is simply avoiding the things that trigger your symptoms. In addition, the allergic symptoms are often treated with a drying nasal spray (like Atrovent) and antihistamines like chlopheneramine and lovatidine are effective. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.