Ear, Nose & Throat Community
surgery for ear nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

surgery for ear nerve damage

My daughter is 47 years old.  Several years ago, she realized that she wasn't hearing as well as she used to.  She was checked by an audiologist and she had indeed lost some of her hearing.  She was fitted with hear aids.  Over the last few years, the hearing loss has steadily increased.  Her primary care physician says the loss is due to nerve damage caused by the fact that she was born with the chromosomal disorder Turner's Syndrome.  He says there is nothing that can be done.  I have a hard time believing that there is not some form of ear surgery that can address the nerve damage.  She is a schoolteacher (and a very excellent one) and the hearing loss is greatly impacting her ability to teach. I have researched Turner's Syndrome but there is no mention of a fix for the hearing loss, only that ear nerve damage can result from Turner's Syndrome.  Would appreciate hearing from anyone with information on this subject.