Ear, Nose & Throat Community
swollen epiglottis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

swollen epiglottis

Every now and then my epiglottis doenst relax like it should. I know the epiglottis works like a flap, so food and water doesnt get into the airway. It tenses up to cover the trachea and when its not working it relaxes and rest agianst the wall of the throat.
It starts with that feeling that there is something in my thoat and I need to clear it,  but I can't. I feel the need to swallow saliva every 5-10 seconds. It normally happens when I am tired due to lack of sleep and have a really dry mouth. I tonly happens late at night. Usually after midnight. I am a smoker and drink a decent amount of soft drinks, which causes my throat to be a little dryer.  I don't have any symptoms that lead me to believe this is serious such as, actual sore throat, fever, headach, or swelling anywhere else. I know any difficulty swallowing is concidered serious, but it only gets so bad, which doesn't impare my breathing, drinking, or eating. It is more annoying then anything. It is hard for me to go to sleep when it is swollen/tense. I end up staying up until I am so tired that nothing can keep me up.  I always wake up in the morning and it is back to normal. I have tired drinking thinker drinks that kind of coat my throat..like milk and thinker juices. I also take a pretty warm bath to breathe in moisture....which really helped while I was in the bath.
I'm just curious if this happens to other people and if anyone may know of any ways to soothe it?
I could have written this myself. For the past two weeks, I have what feels like something in the back of my throat.  I know that it's where my epiglottis is located and feel that it's swollen. But why, I can't imagine. It happens only at night, around 7:30. I drink several clear carbonated seltzers during the day and often in the evening. Nothing but time seems to help. I've taken antihistimines.. but fall asleep with the problem, and as you, wake up with my throat feeling fine. It is extremely annoying, and a bit worrying since I have had serious allergy reactions in the past. There is nothing that is related to allergies here, though. I'm at a loss. Have you found anything that helps, or a diagnosis?
I am having the exact same problem!  It is the most irritating thing, and it feels like I need to swallow every few seconds because there is something in my throat.  I can actually see it in the back of my throat if I tense up my tonsils, and it looks like a little flap is protruding from my throat.  I haven't found anything that stops the swelling, but this has been persisting for the last 2 weeks or so without any other symptoms.  I have also noticed that it is gone in the morning but soon reappears, and it is much worse at night or after I have had wine.  Is this still persisting for you?  I'm wondering how long this will last, and if a doctor would have any useful advice.  Perhaps it is caused from a food allergy??
It is possible to have a foriegn body lodged in your eshophagus that will cause you salivate profusely and feel the need to drink to "clear the passage."  Most significant occlusions will not allow you to swallow but you will feel the need to frequently spit because there is no place for the saliva to go.  If you have frequent symptoms of reflux along with the feeling of something left in your throat, I would recommend that you see a GI doctor, who can perform an endoscopy to see if you either have a forgein body or possibly esophageal stenosis (narrowing of the esophagus) which can be treated.
All the stuff yall sed it happing to me but i haft to swallow like every 2 seconds and i do that like for days .I have reely easy gag reflexes and i thro up alot .
I always having to cary water with me or ill gag
I have had the same problem it started about a year ago and only happens once in a while, but it usually stay for a couple of days or just a day then goes away on its own after I go to sleep. It drives me crazy especially if I take a pill or something it get caught there...yuck!! I don't really drink pop or carbonated items and I quit smoking a couple of year ago. All though I am a big fan of wine. Any Ideas anyone ??
this is becoming common.  Why can't anyone tell you all something.  
I have been experiencing these same symptoms for over the past two months... gag reflux so bad that I can barely keep anything down in my stomach.. I have lost over 17 pounds ( ok not such a bad thing, but not for a good reason), my back of my throat is swollen as well as my voice box, which are swollen quite badly. I cough to the extreme as to try and clear my throat.. to the point where I vomit, and my head feels like it is going to explode. I have had a Upper GI done and it came back no problems.. I think they need to do more tests and I am going to make sure they do................Oh and with this.. I have totally lost my voice, I lost my voice 7 weeks ago and now I cant talk for more then a few minutes without coughing and then gasp for air..... this is not a good experience and I wouldnt wish it on anyone
I've been having this problem too over the last couple of months.  I thought it might be related to stress.  I sure hope to hear some good results from one of you.  I'm going to contact my doc and see what he has to say.  It really does drive me crazy.
My 16 mos. old daughter gags every time she drinks water. She constantly puts her fingers down her throat and gags herself and grinds her teeth. She also seems to have a lack of control to swallow her drool. I thought this was all due to teething, because she is teething. Then, tonight, she began gagging and when I asked her to show me her mouth, I saw this thin (the size of her pinkie finger) protrusion coming up the back of her throat almost touching her uvula. She began coughing (and has continued coughing, but not croup-like or anything) and then threw up. It didn't seem to really bother her, but she keeps gagging herself. HELP! I don't think it's epiglottitis, so why can I see her epiglottis? I'm sure that is what it is.
Ive been having this same damn thing. Its like theres somthing stuck in my throat and every time I try to clear it it doesnt come out. Ive been told bye doctors who often find nothing wrong that its my anxiety but I have no history of anxiety. It more annoying than anything I just want it to pass already. Everytime I eat its like it doesnt want to go down. When I talk I can only make out sentences cuz then I have to gasp for air. Then sometimes I feel like it interferes with my breathing but doctors say that my oxygen levels are fine every time i go in. They did find abit of swelling though in my throat one time and gave me a steriod shot but that didnt really work. Ya its usually the worst at night and I lose sleep over it so I say well ima go to the doctors in the morning but morning comes and the feeling is gone to an extent and I think im getting better then next thing you know the damn thing is messing with me again. If you guys find out what it could be please share Im deperate.
I'm actually up right now at 4:45 am with this feeling in my throat like theres something in there or its tight and its driving me crazy I feel like I cant breath right and I feel like there is something really wrong with me. I  can't eat right through the day because I;m scared its going to make my throat feel like this. My mouth and throat also gets very dry and I don't know what is going on but Ive been to the upper GI  Dr. and they have only ran blood test so far. I have lost weight and sleep over this problem and it just started a few weeks ago. I just want to be back to myself again.  Im scared something going to happen to me before the DR. finds anything out, I like want to go to the ER almost every night but I don't. My heart rate has also been really slow like in the low 40'S.
Thank goodness i found this site and all your comments. Was wondering if i had a life-threatening condition. Started taking Fluoxetine and a week later started having this problem i.e feeling of something stuck in my chest at first and spasms of pain. Stopped taking the fluoxetine after 6 weeks because couldn't stan d the discomfort any more, but it has left me with a feeling of someting stuck in my throat and when it is bad my epiglottis is visible. Going to the ENT Department in July so will fine out more then, but at least having found this forum know it is not uncommon, so thanks for that and wish you all well.
i think i have the same thing you guys have. Just in the middle of no-where my throat just seems a little bit swollen. Sometimes melted-cheeses or not as well done steak cant go down as well. I think my throat is swollen but im going to the doctor tomorrow to see what the issue is, i hope that i can either get a steriod shot to loosen the swelling and make it a little bit easier to breath and less swelling and swallowing, i wish you all luck with your treatments.
well i got back from my doctor and my throat seemed to be fine. For all of you with the same symptoms as me I would visit your doctor for your throat and ask if it is allergies. Mine was because my "saliva" would drop back into my throat as i slept and it would become "slimy" and "sticky" everytime i woke up or anytime i chewed gum or random foods. She put me on some nasal spray and it seems to be working fine! Also if you take an allergen medicine daily i would reccomend blowing your nose before you go to bed/when you wake up, it will reduce the flem (phlegm) or "snot" that is in your nose going into your throat. I wish you all luck with your treatments.
I have the same thing.  Started about 1 year ago around the season changes.  Certain situations exasperate the issue such as a high exposure to allergens.  I went to an ER and and ENT a week ago about this.  I had a throat X-Ray and a nasal scope done.

The ENT said my epiglottis was swollen and had quite a bit of mucus on it.  As well, he gave me a fair diagnosis of Acid Reflux diseases. Steroids, Prilosec and an antibiotic were prescribed.  Did they work?  Not sure but at this point, it still occurs and I need my sleep without feeling that I am going to suffocate at night.  Everyone here needs help with this issue as do I.   Is there anyone that can help instead of having clueless responses and physicians?
I found an article that may pin this condition as a Flu related condition:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000605.htm
Has anyone discovered a true cause or a cure yet?  I experience the same thing...In fact, I am bothered by a swollen epiglottis right now.  3:15AM and can't sleep a at all.  To worried.  I am having all the symptoms that everyone has described above.
I feel for all of you seeing I'm going through the same thing, I would like to know if anyone can see their epiglottis when they cough or clear their throats, and does it look like brownish flem (phlegm)? Just wondering because that's what I see and it's freking me right out, Can someone set this stressed out mind at ease? Thanks and God Bless
I woke up with this same thing one month ago.  I felt like something was in the back of my throat and pressure on my throat.  Plus I had alot of sinus drainage at the same time.  I waited two weeks and went to an ent who put the scope through my nose and saw my epiglottis was swollen.  Since I have a hiatel hernia and was diagnosed with acid reflux last year, he also felt my acid medicine wasn't strong enough and that is what was causing the epiglottis to be swollen.  He gave me another acid medicine to use and a nasal spray (omnaris) to try for my allergies.  I have been faithfully using this medication for almost two weeks now and I went from monday until saturday without any symptoms of the choking feeling.  I had it yesterday for a brief moment, and it went away.  I never had this before and it really scared me, but so far I am having alot of good days now. I encourage all of you to go see an ent and have them scope your throat for an accurate diagnosis.  Don't suffer with this if you don't have to.
I too have been having this same problem for the last few months. I have an ent appointment in july and I hope he finds something. I have hardly slept for ages now. Last night I was up all night. I suffer anxiety disorder too so it has only made that worse for me. I will post when I get something back from the ent next month. The first few post are me to a tee.
i am in the same situation as most of you here and sorry to say, have not found a treatment. mine started after i tried unfiltered cigarettes for a week or two, and started having a very sore throat. whenever i then smoked a regular cigarette, what followed was a very sharp pain, which got worse and worse after each cig. it never healed and after a year when it got to a point where i couldnt handle it i finally went to the Doc. he couldnt find anything wrong, and put me on antibiotics and the post-nasal drip spray some of you talked about. however, none really fixed the problem. i think the antibiotics helped because the pain is significantly reduced however i am started to cough like crazy whereas i use to just have pain and the feeling of something stuck in my throat. also my whole deep voice is gone. i cant speak with a low voice anymore. its sick.

i was advised to go to the ENT, but i am a student and I cant even afford a second doctor visit with him.

I really think this is related to smoking; the pain and stuck-feeling gets substantially worse whenever I smoked, and now, when Im near someone smoking,
I have been searching the web for hours now and this is the first and only site I have come acrossed that has given me hope that I'm not crazy.  For the last week I have had this feeling in my throat like something is stuck and it won't come out.  I don't have any pain, fever, or any other symtoms (symptoms).  Then last night I looked and saw what looked like a small potatoe chip, but when I touched it and realize it was part of my throat it freaked me out. I have had numerous cases of Strep and Tonsillitis (sorry spelling is horrible) and have looked at my throat MANY times before and have NEVER seen this.  After looking at all the medical info. I now know its my Epiglottis and I can't find anyone to tell me if thats normal or not (to be able to see your Epiglottis).  I too suffer from allergies but I don't smoke or drink so maybe that is the link, ALLERGIES.  I sure do hope so...  If anyone can shead new light on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.  
I am having the EXACT same problem rite now. I just started working 3rd shift now, and I haven't been getting that much sleep in the daytime, so I just wokeup from a nap, n my mouth just felt so dry, like my tongue got stuck to the roof of my mouth, n all of a sudden my epiglottis,  just started to hang low enough to touch my tongue, how long does anyone think this would last? I keep having to swaloow every few seconds, because it always feels like its in the way. Help!s
I think I may have an answer for everyone here. This is the 3rd internet thread I have found with people suffering from these same exact symptoms that are being discussed here, identical to what I have experienced for about 10yrs myself. First of all it's extremely comforting knowing that you are not alone with ANY condition, much less, one so obscure and difficult to get diagnosed. I have had these same symptoms for some time: located slightly behind and above Adam's apple area(just below base of tongue,Larynx); feeling of food being stuck, discomfort to mild pain in throat, difficulty swallowing and feeling as if when I do its going down my trachea and not esophagus, somewhat claustrophobic swollen feeling in throat quite severe at times, and even leading me to what I assume are mild panic attacks/very sore throat when rather severe. Then a  somewhat normal feeling in the morning. I'm 34, have no allergies, am on no medication, and a relatively healthy non-smoker. I notice that this generally occurs more frequently during colds in which I have sinus congestion, or when I aggravate my throat in some way; smoking, drinking thick liquids, acid reflux, or swallowing incorrectly and having water go down windpipe(trachea) causing me to cough. What I believe is much like what some have said here, that it is the epiglottis that is swollen or enlarged to the point where its proper functionality is compromised. I believe this is due to irritation of the glands in the larynx region of the throat, usually due to sinus drainage(and usually at night i believe because of posture...lying down,reclining). Here is where I think I have hit something different...I wonder how many of you are like me and have a natural sucking reflex on throat, where I try and clear the drainage from my throat and nose when simply coughing doesn't seem to work. I'm betting many of you, and sorry for the gross-out factor! Its not something I think about, and its something I've done as long as I can remember. I have always had severe sinus congestion with colds, and find myself really causing a sore throat from this action, when dealing with the more extreme bouts. My curiosity hit a peak about 6 years ago when I noticed after one such cold that my uvula(hangy-thing in back of throat) had become elongated and was reaching all the way down to my tongue. Short story, doc said at 1st it was uvulitis and would go away with time and meds...it did not. I have recently been back to the ENT and was told the elongated uvula could be a result of the sucking, and can be corrected through a 45 min., minor surgical, procedure. I believe this same thing is happening with my epiglottis when its swollen...I can actually feel a tug, like my throat is trying to swallow it, when it really gets bad.  I have another appointment for a FEESST test with the ENT next week to further diagnose this issue. I am fairly sure I'm correct with what is taking place, at least in my case. I mean, if the sucking on my throat had done that to my uvula, why not believe it happened to a similar structure in my throat in relative proximity? I will report back with anything i find out, as soon as i get home from ENT. Although I have no difinitive answer now, maybe this will give you some ammo to use should somebody read this before going to a doctor themselves. Hope this eases some peoples minds, or at least gives them a little confidence in their situation. Humanity is too big to feel like you're alone!
ive had this problem for about 3-4 years and still the doctors say nothing is wrong, its getting to the point where it feels like i got somting nasty stuck in my throat. Somtimes its so bad, i cannot eat any food at all and im constantly swallowing saliva, Its so annoying that im starting to think killing myself is the only way to get rid of it.
I found this string while searching after a self-diagnosis for an enlarged epiglottis. I get one every time my nose or sinuses act up or a catch a really bad cold. Sometimes I don't even realize that I've been producing any unusual amounts of mucous or phlegm until they get a bit swollen.
It is more than often on only one side of my throat, only once or twice been on both sides at once.

It tends to occur for my brother, sister and I because something was infected and the infection is remaining in the mucous, such as sinus, throat or ear. Mucous makes a grand hide-out for breeding of bad bacteria and often, when you try clearing your throat via a slight sucking like Aeniman said he does (although not quite as often and as much ^.^) and there is an abundance of phlegm to try and dispose of, you often wear yourself raw.

I've found some ways to relax and perhaps even cure some of my own infections. I've decided it couldn't hurt to share them, since no one else has really had any luck offering any help.

Gargling- It's a glorious relief. It's repeatable, as many times as you want it to be. It relaxes the throat where it hurts the most and cleans out the mucous. It can also deliver soothing medicines and tinctures if you know what to use.
Make sure to open your esophagus as if you were singing the air out. Take a deep breath before filling half your mouth with fluid and tilts your head all the way back before beginning an exhale and opening up your whole throat. Stop when you're about 1/3 the way out of air, close your esophagus to shut off the bubbles, and spit. If you're afraid of breathing the air in, take it a step at a time (start by inhaling and letting out your breath slowly, inhale and hold water in your mouth while breathing out through your nose slowly, fill your mouth full of water and tilt your head back all the way and relax, etc) and ease yourself into a full gargle.
Things I like to gargle with-
Saltwater (the easiest and my favorite; try it with sea salt, the minerals are great), warm tea (chamomile, peppermint, lavender, marshmellow; all anti-bacterial and all anti-inflammatory. Stash teas makes my favorite for this that has all the above; Mellow Moments. http://www.stashtea.com/products/Mellow+Moments+Herbal+Tea.aspx), and grapefruit juice.

Watch TV on your belly-
Recliners usually tilt back to full where you can put your feet above your head. Turn around instead and stretch out your neck out. Rest it on your hands and breathe nice and easy. Use some pillows to cushion anything you need to. This does more wonders for your body than just your throat..

Sleep on your other side-
Most of us are side-sleepers. Ever wonder though if the side you prefer to sleep on is the side being infected the most? Mine usually is. Switch sides every other night. It keeps the phlegm from constantly staying on one sore patch and spawning extra amounts of bacteria 1/3 of the time.

Cover your face when you sleep-
You produce extra amounts of mucous when your nose and throat feel like they need to. That said, some of us have to keep our noses under the covers when we sleep. I've been in the desert all my life and have always had to keep my nose and mouth under my sheets. If you cannot keep them buried all night, you can buy a dust mask and wear it when you sleep.
Too stifling? Cut a slit at a time in the front of it until you don't feel like you're suffocating. You need oxygen, just not as much when you're asleep. This can also help you sleep faster, better, and sounder..

Eat and drink differently-
I love chocolate. Unfortunately my throat makes a bundle of mucous when I indulge. And it's gotten terrible as I've grown up. I can no longer have Cadbury Eggs for breakfast without sniffing through my college classes. You may be allergic to something you've always eaten or your body may not be able to break something down like it used to.
Yogurt, ice cream, even orange juice, makes my throat coat itself over protectively. I grew up able to devour anything as freely as I pleased though and as skinny as a rail. I haven't even gotten pregnant or had kids yet! Go figure...

That's it... I have no other ideas right now. That's what I do.
Try a few out and please please please.. post back here for others if you have any successes OR fails. We all need help and this condition is nothing but absolute misery.

Good luck guys! I'm hoping this helps at least some people.
A second note to my first; I do not smoke and I rarely drink, but I have noticed that I also get more infections after a sip of something alcoholic. Perhaps simply not participating on these two things if you do them regularly...
Keep a food and drink (and smoking) log in your back pocket for a while and note when you get ill or feel off for any reason. You'd be surprised, actually, how much ailments you get has to do with something and stupid and simple as what you eat and drink. I didn't know, for example, that tap water from my new residence was any trouble until I bought some distilled water for a camping trip and finished it off to find my throat and breathing better than they had been in months. Knowing that I troubleshooted my other water sources until I discovered my own tap water wasn't as good as I thought it was.

I'm totally not a health nut, BTW.. -.- Horrah for vaccinations and prescription strength antibiotics, but I'm a poor college kid and can't go to the doctor unless it's while visiting the ER so... ^.^ Yeeahh...
i just went to my doctor with the same problems. He refered me to an ear nose and throat specialist
I have had the same problem as all of you but for me it seems like mine comes and goes more often.. It does not hurt extreamly bad but it is very unconfortable.. I am 16 been having this problem for about a month.. along with the throat problem i have been getting constant head aches....... also i have a hemroid... I do not know if any of these are related but i keep getting new symptoms all the time... the only thing that has been a problem for me for a long period of time has been my throat... i went to the doctor they said there was nothing wrong and sent me home with alergy (allergy) meds. Someone please find an answer.
I have just had a throat infection. One tonsil was more swollen than the other and my GP put me on anti biotics. I have finished these just over two weeks but I noticed I do have a swollen epiglottis. Its very enlarged and red and it too is touching the back of my tongue and making me feel like I have something in my throat. I cough during the night and my hubby has said I am snoring!. I have checked on web sites and it sounds like it is epiglottitis. Which can be caused by a bacterial infection. I have been using a throat spray which seems to be helping the symtoms (symptoms) but my epiglottis is still enlarged. I am therefore going to return to the GP to see if a further treatment of anti biotics works.
" i have found that acupressure helps me.

Find the small indentation at the base of your thumb (on the back of your hand ) and near your wrist , press for a few seconds with you other thumb then, at the same time with your index finger press in the middle of the soft pad (in your hand at the base of the thumb) so, it looks like you are pinching yourself. Take several deep breaths then make a fist with your other hand and briskly rub these two points to stimulate them. Proceed to do the other hand in the same ways.

The points are called: Great Abyss  and Fish Border  you can look them up on the web for a diagram as my explanation might sound complicated but  a diagram will show you how simple it all is.

Relieves:  Shallow breathing, coughing and swollen throat, also lung problems and asthma.
I am SO glad I found this post.
I have been suffering from the some of the symptoms everybody is talking about for about a week now.  I always feel like there's something stuck in my throat, and have been coughing consistently for days.  Me, being curious like I am - decided to stick my finger back there, pull up a throat anatomy chart, and let google do the rest.  I do not have a sore throat, I have some phlegm, but mainly just that feeling of having to cough something out my throat - who would have known that it WAS a part of my throat causing the issue.
I have decided since people have been referring to allergies and the throat being swollen, to take an allergy pill, and some Tylenol.  Both combat any sort of swelling.  Let's see what happens.  I'm not really enjoying the thought of going to the doctor if there's no "cure" for this.
Bailosaur,  Exactly the same but i was going to try Aspirin and Zyrtec.   It happens ever once in a while but goes away after a day or so.

I think I get it sometimes when I dry-swallow pills and one gets stuck for a second which causes irritation that drinking water usually cures right away...but sometimes not.

I remember eating a hotdog once and my mouth must have been drier than I though because I swallowed and the bite stuck..... I then tried to force swallow it and it moved some but still seemed stuck.   I could breathe fine but it took about 10 more minutes of concern before I generated enough moisture to get it to go down.  My epiglottis was then swollen for the next 2 or 3 days after that.  I suppose the irritation caused by too-dry of food being force-swallowed past it must have irritated it.

I happens every 6 months or so for unknow reasons but it's probably from the same cause.
guys,i cant anymore!!!it is so ánnoying!!!i am having something stuck in my throat for a month,it started from headache 4 days -very bad headache,then got something inside,very annoying feeling,second day got worse my throat gets swallen feels like something alive is there,felt that scaried so went to emergency on sunday!said sore throat!!!sorry but no any symptoms of cold!!!got  mad !!day after went to gp gave me antibiotics ,when i told them do something pls,at that time i was waiting for my surgery so after 3 days i went to see another doctor in gp he told me it is stress,,global panic something whatever dont remeber,so now after 2 weeks i had my operation it is better now but still something not well,got mad again,dont know what shall i do,everyone having a problem no answer in these years???
One year ago I was very close to death because of Epiglotitis. I can't agree more it is a terribly painful disease and the symptoms can come extremely fast!  I was originally told to have this twice is VERY uncommon, well they were obviously very wrong! I'm once again feeling the symptoms not nearly as severe but I'm so scared thats what is going to happen especially now reading so many posts. I'm interested in knowing if anyone else after being diagnosed and had it again had the same symptoms, and how long you waited to go to a doctor or a ENT? I feel for any one that has delt with this disease!!!
i feel the same way and the doc dont belive me i need help
Oct 29th 2007-Oct 29th 2011??
Wow!! There are a lot of posts here, and over many years too!! Dont you just hate it when we all have the same problem but yet its all been described as something different each time? Im beginning to think most doctors dont even know what the hell theyre talking about!! I dont have health insurance but Im so scared about this that Im gonna get it and go see a doctor and hopefully I can get this very uncomforting feeling dealt with.. I wish all of you good luck and if anyone has figured out any ways to help or an actual diagnosis, please let us know..
I noticed this on my 9.5yr old daughter tonight. She started out on Dec 7th with fever of 102.6 complaining of her throat and feeling like she was going to throw up so she was up and down for awhile I went to store got some Motrin because i had none on hand gave her the Motrin at 11:30pm her fever broke and she was sleeping but in and out still of sleep kept getting something to drink all night by morning Thursday 6am she was up and wanting to go to school to not ruin her perfect attendance and miss out on the Christmas Program lol...kids, so i let her go and gave her Motrin b4 she left at 7:20am she then came home after school no fever nothing really bothering her so we went to the Christmas Program and after I told her I was still taking her to Urgent Care with her brother's, we then went to Urgent Care Thursday night and then we was followed by a strep test which came back negative then says she just has a soar throat but do you know she has an irregular heartbeat and orders her to have a EKG done and a Echo so I'm like OOOOKKKKK and prescribes her z-pak. We go over to hospital to do the EKG with no appt but wait for Echo cuz appt needed, now this is Friday I do follow up with her pediatrician and he listens to her and hears the irregular heartbeat and is now sending her off to a cardiologist to find out why its happening because they say they worry about hearts when they are more like racing and missing beats etc...and her's is normal and missing beats so it is unexplainable to him. I now have cardiologist appt schedule for the 19th of December and then I notice tonight Dec. 12th when she tells me her throat is still hurting her I look in with flash light and have her stick tongue out and say AHHHH I then see this thing stick up from back there and was like WTH is this? So I google diagrams of the throat and see it is epiglottis and the effects etc..... So Now I am beginning to wonder if this is why she was sick and had irregular heartbeat and if this is also why MANY MANY nights for years she has been a restless sleeper tossing turning kicking the walls and kicking and talking in sleep and then up and down for something to drink, so Now I'm canceling school tomorrow and taking her back to her pediatrician and having him look down in there and requesting he send me to a ENT specialist and asking him what is his advice on this ordeal because of the MAJOR issues it has with this sickness, I also read it can be contracted from someone in the household who has been infected or with croup well my 1 yr old had croup few months back before turning 1 and has sounded croupy ever since bringing him home from hospital a yr ago and they tell me his stuff back in there is just under developed basically, HMMMM....OOOKKKKK and then he ends up with the croup(scarey) like 2 months ago and on steroids and a breathing machine then I had him back into urgent care during this also and he gets amoxicillian and during that the breathing treatments he still sounded croupy so again on same day I took my daughter to urgent care I take him into urgent care just this past Thursday and his chest is so inflamed with junk and croupy coughing still the urgent care doctor gives him z-pak also and both my kids have been on it for the full 5 days now and he sounds MUCH MUCH better but my daughter is still complaining of the throat and then has this epiglottis sticking up now so I'm wondering if she caught infection from him and he caught something from the hospital before bringing him home a year ago and being vaccinated with the HIB shots that can cause this? I am having her checked tomorrow at doc and my son goes in for 12 month check-up I will keep everyone updated as to what my pediatrician says and who he hopefully refers me out to because this was contracted from one kid to the next and then she ends up also having irregular heartbeat syndrome that we have NO CLUE where this came from also it all has to be combined into one and it takes a parent to notice all this and WHAT THE HELL ARE WE PAYING A DOCTOR FOR????!!!!! Ya feel me?
Hi There I have had this very same problem for a couple of years now. I have been to A&E twice with it as it has turned into a slight panic attack on these occasions. The hospital never really diagnosed anything, but having been to my GP on about 4 times, he has put it down to stress.! I can totally understand that but the trouble is when you get it, it makes you feel even more stressed!!!!!
I have these symptoms also.  Although they come and go for me.  An uncomfortable throat and the feeling like there is a lump stuck in there (usually brought on by colds, drinking wine or other alcoholic beverage, or when I'm exposed to air pollutants). My epiglottis is visible (and has been for the past year...or at least that's when I discovered that I could see it). And it is most definitely my epiglottis and NOT my uvula (I'm a nurse and I do know the difference thank you very much to those people on other sites who tell me I'm seeing my uvula).
I've read that these symptoms can be benign or they can be caused by a mass in the throat (possibly cancer), or can be an allergic reaction and cause epiglottitis (in which the epiglottis and larynx can swell quickly and can be potentially fatal if not treated immediately).
I would pass along (after reading up on symptoms via the internet), that if anyone is having any difficulty breathing because of the "lump" they should see an ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) asap! If the symptoms are getting worse or are accompanied by weight loss, night time sweats, coughing up blood, or swelling of the throat, or increased fatigue, see your doctor right away.
Another helpful thing I've found when going into overly-scheduled doctors offices these days is to (before going to your appt), write down a list of all your symptoms, keep a diary of what seems to make the symptoms worse, and write down all of your questions that you want to ask...then take all of this with you.  This way you won't forget to ask anything and your notes can really be helpful in figuring out whats wrong.  
I got a very sore throat about 15 months ago.  I had constant phlegm in my throat and sometimes my ears ring (but according to the ENT, my ears are fine).  The biggest problem was feeling like I couldn't breathe and getting out of breath just walking around the house.  My ENT put a scope down my nose and throat and he saw that the epiglottis was extremely inflamed and covered in phlegm (epiglottitis).  He said that because of the inflammation, my vocal cords close to keep the contaniments out of my lungs and that was putting my body into panic mode which was causing my blood pressure to go sky high.  During those times, I have noticed a pounding in my chest.  Tests show that my heart is fine. The swelling also narrows the throat and all of that causes the feeling of the lump in the throat.

He said that throat irritation is commonly caused by acid reflux (even at night when you're sleeping).  Another contributor can be sleep apnea, and I have read that smoking can hurt your throat.  Alcohol, chocolate and caffeine are also bad.  A bacterial infection can cause throat problems, but my Strep test was negative.  I had surgery to remove almost everything in my mouth (tonsils, uvula, the whole palate reduction).  My sleep apnea is gone, but throat is still inflamed.

I took voice lessons at the ENT's office to learn how to breathe through my nose (rather than my throat), from my diaphragm, and out through my mouth to relax my vocal cords, and how to speak without stressing the vocal cords (because prolonged talking made my throat worse).  I take a proton pump inhibitor called Dexilant now during the day and Ranitidine at night which controls the acid reflux and helps heal my throat, and I have reduced the amount of acidic and greasy foods and dairy (which coats your throat and makes the phlegm worse) but my throat still flares up mostly when the furnace or air conditioner is on in my house to the point where I feel like I can't breathe even with the acid reflux medicine.  I feel slightly better outside of my house, so I am wondering if it is dust or mold in the ventilation and in the carpeting which could be causing my throat to be irritated. The allergist says I don't have allergies, and the ENT says that's not likely the cause, but something is causing my throat to dry out and/or be irritated, so I think that it might be a factor. Doctors are only human and sometimes they make educated guesses. I have had all kinds of blood tests, CT scans, heart tests, etc. done, and none of them have been able to tell me what the cause is.   Cleaning my carpet and vents is next thing that I'm going to try.  It's my own educated guess.

I would like to thank SweetSoulX for his/her suggestions. I have noticed that tea (non-caffeinated) with honey seems to help a little bit (at least while I'm drinking it) and steam from the shower as someone else mentioned helps while I'm in the shower.  

I would imagine that for anyone with epiglottitis (determined by that scope down the throat from the ENT), that there can be many different causes.  I would suggest seeing an ENT to rule out Strep Throat or a bacterial infection.  So far, I'm still searching for my cause.

I do the exact same thing. I even had a endoscope done and they said the flap swells due to acid reflux and stress. Well I've never had acid reflux in my life so I still dont understand that. They gave me medicince for acid reflux and it seems to make it worse, I've tried three different types and they all seem to make it worse. I finally quite taking any of it and i seem to be doing a little better it still comes and goes and i try to ignore it but its really hard. Today actually maybe 10 minutes ago I was eating a little pizza and i had to quite cause it felt like some had gotten stuck in my throat I can breathe okay but I feel it in there and its gotten so bad I keep making my self throw up to try and get it out its not working at all. I have no idea what to do.
STABBING PAIN - This terrible painful condition in my throat has ruined my life. By the time 9 months out of work. It had happened a lot when I got it in may/june 2011.

It's pain all 24/7, more or less.It starts or evelate when I swallow spit. (Swallowing mouthfulls of drink or food doesn't evelate the pain???!)

The doctors don't find anything - not on X-ray, MR, CT, ENT, ultrasound. The only test I haven't taken is Laryngoscopi and Bronkoscopy - and the doctors will not let me have it, because they mean my throat is "all-through" investigated.

Now and then (seldom) I'm without severe pain. My hypotheses then, is that this may be caused by some nevrologic fault, that just "make" my brain think I have something in my throat. When the pain is on it's worst, I'm convinced that it's "something there" or that my thyroid is broken somewhere.

My stabbing pain is located behind my thyroid when I'm standing, on the right side when I'm laying down f.ex when in bed.

My night-sleep is ruined. I sleep for 1-2 hours a time. I'm beginning to think that I faint into sleep, not actually falling in sleep.

It really puzled me when the doctors reported that the CT showed "symmetri and no patologies". Because my doctor first diagnoed it like a "anxiety lump", she wrote in the referral that I suffered from "psycological problems", and the se refered me wrong "and the patients says that the lump in the troat it at it worst when his psychological problems are at the worst". Can you believe it? The case is that I have the hardes time WHEN the stabbing pain in my throat is at it worst. Jesus... I had to get rid of her and change.

Now that I don't get new tests; I'm afraid the analyses was affected by the writing of my former doctors referral to the specialists. (F.ex, the ENT-specialist ended the session telling me to start work-out 5 days a week to get rid of my problem-thoughts...).

And, yes, dethklok420. Me too, has been that the only way of getting rid of this is by killing meselves. No doctors has shown they understand how it is to have this stabbing pain in the throat. Actually I believe my brain is taken this more serious than the "rational me" - it's like alarm-tensions. Perhaps it's because the "thing" is where signals to the brain says it's life-threatening and urgent... (Yes, I've called 911 too many times. They don't listen to me anymore. They just gives me valium which DO NOT solve any problems, pain-killers or send me home without doing nothing but writing a journal to my doctor, which don't believe me, and so on...).
Just to say I've had this a few times now, once ended up in A&E due to swollen uvulea(think thats the name) where they popped in some hydrocortisone and gave me piriton type tabs.  They seemed baffled but noted my punchbag-like uvulea with some surprise and diagnosed allergic reaction.  I was in a friend's spare bed on that occasion so mebbe. Just had another scary one (at home), seems to happen on waking during a doze.  Not sure what it is, parallels here are: I have had PTSD related anxiety, have got a hiatus hernia and reflux,  do take Nasonex, have been diagnosed negative with apnea (after taking home a crappy sleep kit).Do have asthma. I am a bit irregular with taking medication as I dont like doing it. This last waking up with the phantom throat strangler wasnt my uvulea, it was lower in my throat.  Anyhoo I've took Colpermyn, Nasonex (for first time in while), Valerian, Piriton and Omeprazole, hoping to scatter-gun all possible symptoms (anxiety, reflux, allergy etc,) and one or more of them has done the trick 15 mins later. :) I'll have to pare down the remedies to see which it is next time provided it doesn't kill me :)  Big shout to SweetSoul for their comments.  Good luck fellow mystery chokers -  I reckon it may be reflux that triggers it.  Anxiety, yeah well waking up feeling like you're about to die tends to trigger it... PS Deatklok...Killing yourself *would* get rid of it, but is not recommended by doctors, quacks, priests or me.
I've had the same problem described by everyone else: difficulty swallowing; suffocating feeling at night, that causes me to wake up and feel as if I'm choking; wheezy sounds when I breathe from a swollen and mucus-covered epiglottis; lots of mucus--particularly at night and early in the morning.

In my case, it started after I had a severe allergic reaction to some high-dose vitamin d3 pills I was taking (prescribed by my GP to combat low vitamin D levels). My throat became severely inflamed, and I started choking on food and pills. Then I had some pills get caught around my epiglottis and I seriously thought I was going to choke to death. Since then, my epiglottis has been inflamed, waking me up at night and causing a false asthma feeling (though my O2 levels are normal and there is no wheezing in my lungs).

If you Google "epiglottitis," you will see a list of most of the symptoms contained in everyone's posts; however, people who get epiglottitis from an allergic reaction generally don't experience the severe sore throat part. Here's a quote from a doctor's article about NON-infectious epiglottitis (which many of the people posting here seem to have): "In those individuals with chemical, allergic, or thermal causes, there is often a very recent history of exposure to intensely hot steam, allergens, or noxious chemicals respectively. There will usually not be symptoms of acute infection, such as pain, fever, sore throat, or drooling, but the airway obstructive symptoms, such as stridor [wheezing, whistling sounds], leaning forward, and more difficult breathing with increased respiratory effort will be present."

To begin with, it might be useful to ask yourself if you have had an allergic reaction to pills or food. Did something seem to trigger the swollen epiglottis?

How I've been treating myself (as doctors have been absolutely no help): interestingly, I've found that an albuterol inhaler (or, ideally, albuterol ampules for a nebulizer) will reduce my epiglottis swelling within minutes, allowing me to sleep for several uninterrupted hours. I think the albuterol must reduce the swelling and/or mucus. I recommend this for those poor folks who can't get a decent night's sleep. Just the smallest dose of albuterol (a single puff of an inhaler, or only a minute on the nebulizer) makes all my symptoms magically go away for ~4-6 hours.

Also, I've found it useful to take 10mg of Claritin and/or two Advil tablets an hour or two before bed to reduce inflammation. By following these protocols, my condition has gradually gotten better. I avoid hard, sharp, or spicy foods to avoid inflaming the area any more, and in this way (using albuterol sparingly, taking an antihistamine, and using Advil before bed), it is starting to heal and feel better. My doctor told me that the esophagus/ epiglottis takes a while to heal (a few weeks to a few months), so don't despair. During those times when you feel like you're choking, remind yourself that your lungs are working fine; you're not going to suffocate. IT WILL GET BETTER! Take note of any positive developments, and don't despair over the occasional bad day.

I wish everyone the best.

Any of you use any products with Aspartame in it? I ask because not but 3 weeks ago I began noticing these same symptoms. Trouble swallowing,sore/swollen throat, swollen glands.Felt like My throat was actually ready to pop out of place,salivating,or dry mouth during exercises, I would chew gum while biking or exercising to keep the saliva flowing,problem is Gum has Aspartame,thus the problems began..Top that with the use of Riccola when I went to bed at night,for allergy related issues(also has Aspartame) and My intake of this "Sweet Poison" had increased,and symptoms got far worse.Here I am 5 weeks later,I cut off all use of Aspartame related products, after reading about it's side effects and Aspartame allergic reactions,5 days now and throat no longer feels near as full and swollen,there is still some difficulty swallowing,but even that seems to be improving to a degree,epiglottis still pops when swallowing but again,that seems to be improving as well.From what I have read,this junk has a half life of 3-4 days,which means it will take about 3-4 weeks to fully remove from your body..My symptoms are still mildly active,thus I was searching around and found this thread,hopefully the info helps some of you..
Been very ill - congestion, reactive airways, cough variant asthma (sensitive to many substances)  post nasal drip, congestion, no fever, croup like cough developed, severe congestion and swelling of trachea and chest, great sensitivity of the named areas - took Zantac, Larangoscopy showed inflamed Larynx.  Oh, yes, got many (real ones)  Laryngeal spasms while attempting to cough and mucous/phlegm overload.  I have been suspecting oral candida as well.  Transparent blisters on pharynx (the visible back wall behind the tonsils when you open your mouth - behind the uvula, blister on posterior part of tongue, white coated tongue.  Food particles even water getting stuck (?) on to epiglottis - larynx area creating a cough that becomes a choke!   Going to get Oral Candida test.  Started Nystatin, although the only thing that eradicates oral candida in me is Flucanazole.  Understanding of Croup as well as Oral Candida seems to be deficient in health care.
Well i am seventeen years old and having worst symptoms. Ive had all of this going on for more then four months off and on? What does this mean?
To everyone mystified by what might be wrong with them, please research: LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX  (LPR)

For 9 months, I had all the same symptoms everyone here was talking about: choking feeling, difficulty swallowing, the "globus" feeling of something being "stuck" in the throat (swollen epiglottis flap), asthma-like wheezing in the throat, hoarse voice, etc. I finally convinced a G.I. doctor to scope down my throat, and it turned out to be Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). Basically, my epiglottis, larynx, and vocal cords were dramatically swollen from acid reflux (and food allergies, too, I later learned). I took two Prilosec a day, in morning and night, for a month and am almost back to normal now. For a more hardcore treatment, the prescription PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) Dexilant has worked for more stubborn cases, according to my doctor (but I had to stop the Dexilant because of side effects).

I hope this helps!
I have had this same problem people!..... DRY mouth, visible epiglottis, trouble swallowing. The doctor says its anxiety, but I don't believe it.
I found this thread after searching for some kind of solution....

looooooooooong story:  I am 37, female, non-smoker.  Had Nissen Fundo (anti reflux surgery) 7 months ago for a hypotensive LES and Barrets Esophagus but more importantly I have had a sore throat and a lot of ENT symptoms and eventually so many tests and got diagnosed with Chricopharengeal spasms/thickening and treated with Dialation procedure and Botillium 20 units!  NO improvement!

I am so sick and tired of this.  My epiglottis is almost permanently swollen/enlarged and I have what they call a "supraglottic constriction" and now the ENT Surgeon is sending me for SPEECH THERAPY and it is 600km from home and I need to go non-stop for a week!

I don't see how this can help me?????

can anyone shed some light?
My 23 year old daughter has been SUFFERING for a year.  We have been to so many doctors including Mayo Clinic and still no one can be straight on the subject and help.  We are not giving up the fight and researching on our own.  You are welcome to contact me by email and stay in touch: ***@****

Someone ...some doctor out there must know what this is!  It's horrible... frightening... painful... frustrating... and we are sick of the BS we get from the doctors.  She has been told to take anxiety meds and antidepressants.  HA!  That's rediculous!!  Sooooooooooo not like my high-energy, outgoing, Magna *** Laude graduate from college.  What a joke!!  Let's not give up and be a support system to each other!!
This is Mamabear1213...

If anyone has any info you can pass on... please help!

It all began with trouble swallowing in November of 2011 and my daughter has the identical symptoms that I've read about in all of your postings... even told by one "major" hospital that she has Esophageal Dismotility... then by another "major well-known" hospital... had another swallow study and was told she doen't.  She either does or doesn't!   Same test, different doctors and hospital... really??  We are losing our minds already!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you ! I never noticed until I read your post about the inhaler or the neb.. makes the throat thing go away I had not put the two things together. I do know that when my SP02 levels are low the throat thing is at its worst.
Also when I get my back adjusted it goes away.
Thank you !
sounds like LPR, Gerd symptoms
Hey everyone.   I have been having all the same problems.  Two years ago had a very serious case of epiglottits--came within minutes of dying or at least needing a trach.   Since then (and perhaps unknowingly my whole life) I have had symptoms on and off.  All of you seem to have GERD.  The acid from your stomach is traveling up your espohoagus and into your throat.   It causes the "lump in the throat", laryngitis, sore throat, earache, mucus in nose and throat, trouble swallowing.  Only things that will help are PPI's, antacids, and lifestyle changes.  Maintain normal weight, eat small meals, no alcohol or tobacco, exercise regularly, no spicy foods, and do not lie down for 3 hours after eating.  Sleep on your left side.  Hope that this helps.
Hi there,

It is really weird that we all have some kind of GERD issue as well as the throat/swollen epiglottis and globus sensation.

I have Barret's due to longstanding severe GERD and had the Nissen operation done over a year ago in hope that it would heal my throat!  The Surgeon wanted to do the op due to the Barret's and cancer risk, but I was just looking forward to having a normal throat again!

It is a bit more involved than just GERD it seams...

One year post-op and nothing changed.  I got a diagnoses of Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and it is a Neurologic issue where the muscle does not relax or contract properly.  Is there a connection between this ENT problem and GERD?  not according to all the studies that I've done on the topic.

But I am yet waiting for a cure or solution that will make my throat better.
Hi there,

I hope this posts finds you...

I have had a horrible time with my throat and other health issues and I have also had Doctors telling me it is in my head or even Bulimmia!  but eventually I went to see an Otolarancologist that diagnosed:  Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and I had a treatment (dilatation and botillium injection) and my symptoms disappeared for 2 months!!!!  and now that the injection is no longer working, I have all the old symptoms again!  swollen epiglottis, sore throat, voice issues, chest pains when I swallow food, muscles in my neck/throat going into what feels like spasms and glands that get swollen and that permanent lump in the throat!

All due to the Chricopharengeal muscle that does not work properly.

Maybe that is you answer?  I don't have the solution yet as the Botillium only works for 2 months and then you have to get it done again...

All the best and hope to hear from you.
I don't know what's wrong with my throat. I feel as if it is just producing more mucus for me to hack up.  I cant stop spitting and it feels swore and swollen when I talk. Like something is in the way. And it makes me wanna hack up again. Anyone know what it might be ? :(
Hi Sweetstuff,

I came across this forum in search of answers to a problem I'm having.  It started about 6 weeks ago...been having dental work done removing amalgam and ended up with three root canals and crowns, one of which I had to get done twice and another, had an infection and needed antibiotics !! And I know I swallowed something ( like you do) anyway, It feels as if I have something stuck in my throat and since then my throat and esophagus feels raw!

2 weeks ago I ate some toast and it felt like it was stuck like right under my breast bone!! Awful feeling. Also i have a tight feeling between my upper part of shoulder blade ( feel is like tension) my research ( as you do) I know that's contradictory to what doc say- acid reflux is not an over amount of stomach acid, but low stomach acid. I have been swallowing a lot, seems like I had more mucus going on.. ( My 3yr and 1yr old were sick too and they love to share sneezes.. In my face lol

)So I went to the health store on Friday & found that taking HCL and probiotics and ginger/ honey tea. Aloe Vera juice- no bread products and by Sunday that lump feeling by my breast bone had gone !!

But cause of family history with thyroid problems,  I went to see an ENT yesterday, had the nasal scope done. I only had a little mucus sitting on my epiglottis ( the thing that opens and closes when you swallow) there. He prescribed me Omerarople ( antacid) which I haven't taken yet. I also made him schedule an ultrasound on my throat- waiting on results.

I am the kind of person to want to do natural remedies first... Just picked up a Manuuka honey to help with the raw feeling ( my mom swore by this). I still have that raw feeling in the throat and chest.

I am just concerned as to if I should take antacids ( they can cause more issues down the line and only mask the real problem)...I have a follow up in 4wks. I have been a little stressed of late ( my hubby will be starting a masters in the fall.. In Madison Wisconsin... And all the stress of moving I have been doing relaxation stretches which helps. I am thinking of going to see chiropractor....but with no insurance the bills are creeping up..that is stressing me too.

I loved what you had to say and will start gargling too. But if anyone on here has any other information or has had the same symptoms as me I would love their feedback.
Thanks to everyone for sharing ... I too had the feeling that I had a 'lump' in the back of my throat ... I went to an ENT and he scoped my throat - through my nose, etc. and said I have signs of acid reflux and I was told to take Prilosec ... well it wasn't until a few days to a week LATER that I felt something additionally different in my throat and when I looked back there saw, for the first time ever, my epiglottis!! It looks like a mini tongue, behind my regular tongue.  I think it is being pushed up from the swelling and inflamation (inflammation) from the acid reflux.  I also wonder if it was irritated from having the scope procedure done too...  I am trying dramatic lifestyle changes and the acid reflux diet - I don't want to go the Prilosec route yet - I also prefer a more 'natural' approach and I read that Prilosec and the rest of those meds can really mess up a person's digestive system over time ...

I want to give this a little more time to see if it will improve but I may have to seek further medical attention if it does not ... I also ordered some 'natural approach' books on acid reflux and will study those as soon as I get them ... good luck to everyone dealing with this ...  
I have the same thing, about every month now for about 2 weeks it feels like somethings in my throat and i can see it with a flashlight. Everytime it starts up again my tongue goes slightly numb/ tingly and i get post nasal drip. Don't know why. Ent's say its normal, er says its normal. I asked my usual doc and she says its my larynx swollen and pushing everything upwards. Not sure, but its the only answer Ive gotten. I'm also wondering if its easier to see because I have an extra large mouth. Lol. Its def not always there though, just wondering if everyones swells from time to time due to allergies or gerd ( which i have both) and I (or we) can just see it more clearly. Because doctors tend not to think its very serious.
Yes I have had this Since Nov 2012. Woke up with the feeling of something in my throat.. My ear kind of hurt as well. Went to the ER two times and Two different ER's all kinds of blood work was done and all normal. Went to ENT and had a scope done he said all was normal. I asked for a cat scan, witch was done a week later. ENT called and said something was there that need close look and wanted to do an Laryngoscopy to look closer and a Biopsy. Was done in Dec 2012. All was normal.. Thank goodness. Still have feelings in throat. Gave me Prilosec, but I don't take it as I should because I do not like taking pills... I returned to ENT in July 2013 for a follow up and again he say something in my throat behind my Lingual Tonsil. He did a Biopsy in his office this time. All came back normal. My Lingual Tonsil is lg and sideways I notice that my Epiglottis hits or rubs on this Tonsil. I think this is what's causing this feeling of something in my throat. I don't know what suddenly started causing My Epiglottis to start appearing in my throat other then acid reflex that I don't feel like I have but I guess I do.. I am a very small 110 lb 52 year old female. All this stressed my out so bad that I lost 20 Pounds and got to a very skinny 90 pounds which I am still trying to gain back.. I just thank God all has came back normal and there isn't any sign of Cancer.. I can live with this as long as I know I am ok..
i've been dealing with this same issue for a year. i had found out i had hpylori and had a round of antibiotics. i was still having symptoms, so i went on another round. long story short and after countless hours of research and studying the anatomy of the throat, i discovered i found the problem! i have a candida overgrowth in my throat and esophagus. went back to ent and he said yes thats why your linqual tonsils are swollen. the yeast lives in them. i had also had every test possible, even the barium swollowing test. i cut out all sugars, starches and carbs. feeling a little better. hope this helps.
This may be Tonsil stones you are feeling, look it up it causes complications with breathing, your breath, eating etc. look it up on google many people suffer from this cottage cheese looking ball sticking to the throat which makes it feel like food or other debrea is stuck. Ive suffered with many cases of Tonsilitis and this is what I discovered in my mouth a couple months ago, Also one tonsil is larger than the other and my epiglottis is swollen.
I am a self healer. Been healing myself for over forty years. Lost faith in orthodox medicine years ago. Came into the 'field' of self healing with the best of them, Linus Pauiing-Vitamin C, Adelle Davis Let's Get Well, Norman Cousins The Anatomy of an illness and the healingHeart.
I am at the moment recovering from a severe bout with strep throw-my own diagnose-and a really horrid eppiiglotis attack. EEEEKKK.
My approach: Vitamin A,, 10,000 Iu, Vitamin E, 1000 IU, Calcium/magnesium and zinc, Vitamin C-at least one hundred grams-wheat germ and Brewer's Yeast, the complete B complex.
The way it works, for me, I make a rich vegetable broth-actually I cheat and use V8 juice, add about a tablespoon of Brewer's Yeast and tbsp of Wheat Germ. With it I take the vitamins.
I can also make a juice, orange, banana, papaya plus honey Brewer'sYeast and Wheat Germ.
During 'flareups' I drink the fruit juice first thing in the morning. Soup for dinner. I stick to a liquid diet for the first few days. Try to live a 'normal' life. I keep a bottle of water and Vitamins A, B, and cal/mag/zinc by my bed at night.
Before bed sometime, I boil water and inhale the steam.
Often the results are immediate. But I'm always careful, relapses are dangerous.
Everything I take is natural. No drugs, surgeries or doctor's visit. I'm 83. It's worked for me for years. What I say is I'm 83 years young, suffer from glowing gd health, no chronic aches, pains of ailements, take no drugs
You can visit me in your search...look for Bettejo Dux, or just plain Bettejo. I live on Kauai-we are exposed to the nastiest GM tair borne oxins-I am a writer. You can find my web site is Bettejo Dux. I have  column. I', also at www.dakinetalk.blogspot.
I'm not selling anything, altho you might like to check out my novel The Scam. I know where you are all coming from. Empathize.
You can leave a message at my column---Bettejo--you call t a blog. Best of  
luck.
Bettejo Dux

I had this problem pretty bad and I can honestly say its all but gone now.  I made a number of different behavior changes to fix it, I'm not sure which one did but I'll list them here.  Also thank you to SweetSoulX.  Some of my remedies were from your post.

1.  I would stay up late watching TV on a lazy boy recliner tilted back.  I noticed this isn't great for your body, makes you super lazy, inhibits breathing a little.  I stopped doing this.  Watch TV / rest either sitting up, on your side, or on your stomach.

2.  Drink hot tea for immediate temporary relief.  I drank a lot of decaf tea.  Soup can be good too.

3.  Use a humidifier.  It's winter here, the air is dry, my throat is dry, a humidifier helps the air quality.

4.  Replace your home air filter.  This is supposed to be done every 3 months or so.  Mine was past due.  This is another thing that will help the air quality.  (Your car has an air filter also that should be pretty easy to change.)

5.  Get good sleep.  Linked with the staying up late my sleep habits were ****.  Try to get regular sleep.

After doing all the above that lump in my throat is gone.  Not five days ago I was googling "epiglottis feels like it's choking me" which led me to here.
Forgot to mention, along with #2

6.  Gargling water (maybe try salt water also) can help sooth the problem for immediate relief.
did you find out what was wrong??? Ive noticed this over the last week and it was really starting to concern me
Same feeling here. It started about 3weeks ago. Feel normal every morning, symptom starts after meal when eating too fast. May I ask, for those that have done scoping down your throat through your nose or mouth, is the procedure painful?
I started out having this feeling like something was in my throat. I'd look and not see anything. Until yesterday. I looked and could see my epiglottis for the first time. It's very visible. I wish we could show pictures here. Anyway, I went to the ER and was told it was normal for some to be able to see their epiglottis. Well I've never seen mine before this and I've looked a lot because of the feeling something was in my throat. My fear is that it's going to get worse and end up killing me or something. But I mostly just want the damn thing to go down and the feeling to just GO! I do have GERD and/or probably something like it. I also have allergies and this does seem to be more apparent now since Spring has began. I also am doing a taper from the benzodiazepine - Klonopin. So I'm GERD, Allergies, AND anxiety. Reading these posts helps some but I'm still concerned. Trying to just relax but it's a constant feeling and I can still see it now just as well as yesterday. Perhaps in time if it's still there but hasn't changed, I'll relax a little. I just wish it would just go back to normal! It's frightening and I am afraid to go out or do anything for fear it will get worse and/or I'll have a panic attack!
Most of you are describing the uvula, not the epiglottis; and this often becomes stretched from snoring. Keep your chin away from your chest when you sleep.