swollen epiglottis
Every now and then my epiglottis doenst relax like it should. I know the epiglottis works like a flap, so food and water doesnt get into the airway. It tenses up to cover the trachea and when its not working it relaxes and rest agianst the wall of the throat.
It starts with that feeling that there is something in my thoat and I need to clear it,  but I can't. I feel the need to swallow saliva every 5-10 seconds. It normally happens when I am tired due to lack of sleep and have a really dry mouth. I tonly happens late at night. Usually after midnight. I am a smoker and drink a decent amount of soft drinks, which causes my throat to be a little dryer.  I don't have any symptoms that lead me to believe this is serious such as, actual sore throat, fever, headach, or swelling anywhere else. I know any difficulty swallowing is concidered serious, but it only gets so bad, which doesn't impare my breathing, drinking, or eating. It is more annoying then anything. It is hard for me to go to sleep when it is swollen/tense. I end up staying up until I am so tired that nothing can keep me up.  I always wake up in the morning and it is back to normal. I have tired drinking thinker drinks that kind of coat my throat..like milk and thinker juices. I also take a pretty warm bath to breathe in moisture....which really helped while I was in the bath.
I'm just curious if this happens to other people and if anyone may know of any ways to soothe it?
guys,i cant anymore!!!it is so ánnoying!!!i am having something stuck in my throat for a month,it started from headache 4 days -very bad headache,then got something inside,very annoying feeling,second day got worse my throat gets swallen feels like something alive is there,felt that scaried so went to emergency on sunday!said sore throat!!!sorry but no any symptoms of cold!!!got  mad !!day after went to gp gave me antibiotics ,when i told them do something pls,at that time i was waiting for my surgery so after 3 days i went to see another doctor in gp he told me it is stress,,global panic something whatever dont remeber,so now after 2 weeks i had my operation it is better now but still something not well,got mad again,dont know what shall i do,everyone having a problem no answer in these years???
One year ago I was very close to death because of Epiglotitis. I can't agree more it is a terribly painful disease and the symptoms can come extremely fast!  I was originally told to have this twice is VERY uncommon, well they were obviously very wrong! I'm once again feeling the symptoms not nearly as severe but I'm so scared thats what is going to happen especially now reading so many posts. I'm interested in knowing if anyone else after being diagnosed and had it again had the same symptoms, and how long you waited to go to a doctor or a ENT? I feel for any one that has delt with this disease!!!
i feel the same way and the doc dont belive me i need help
Oct 29th 2007-Oct 29th 2011??
Wow!! There are a lot of posts here, and over many years too!! Dont you just hate it when we all have the same problem but yet its all been described as something different each time? Im beginning to think most doctors dont even know what the hell theyre talking about!! I dont have health insurance but Im so scared about this that Im gonna get it and go see a doctor and hopefully I can get this very uncomforting feeling dealt with.. I wish all of you good luck and if anyone has figured out any ways to help or an actual diagnosis, please let us know..
I noticed this on my 9.5yr old daughter tonight. She started out on Dec 7th with fever of 102.6 complaining of her throat and feeling like she was going to throw up so she was up and down for awhile I went to store got some Motrin because i had none on hand gave her the Motrin at 11:30pm her fever broke and she was sleeping but in and out still of sleep kept getting something to drink all night by morning Thursday 6am she was up and wanting to go to school to not ruin her perfect attendance and miss out on the Christmas Program lol...kids, so i let her go and gave her Motrin b4 she left at 7:20am she then came home after school no fever nothing really bothering her so we went to the Christmas Program and after I told her I was still taking her to Urgent Care with her brother's, we then went to Urgent Care Thursday night and then we was followed by a strep test which came back negative then says she just has a soar throat but do you know she has an irregular heartbeat and orders her to have a EKG done and a Echo so I'm like OOOOKKKKK and prescribes her z-pak. We go over to hospital to do the EKG with no appt but wait for Echo cuz appt needed, now this is Friday I do follow up with her pediatrician and he listens to her and hears the irregular heartbeat and is now sending her off to a cardiologist to find out why its happening because they say they worry about hearts when they are more like racing and missing beats etc...and her's is normal and missing beats so it is unexplainable to him. I now have cardiologist appt schedule for the 19th of December and then I notice tonight Dec. 12th when she tells me her throat is still hurting her I look in with flash light and have her stick tongue out and say AHHHH I then see this thing stick up from back there and was like WTH is this? So I google diagrams of the throat and see it is epiglottis and the effects etc..... So Now I am beginning to wonder if this is why she was sick and had irregular heartbeat and if this is also why MANY MANY nights for years she has been a restless sleeper tossing turning kicking the walls and kicking and talking in sleep and then up and down for something to drink, so Now I'm canceling school tomorrow and taking her back to her pediatrician and having him look down in there and requesting he send me to a ENT specialist and asking him what is his advice on this ordeal because of the MAJOR issues it has with this sickness, I also read it can be contracted from someone in the household who has been infected or with croup well my 1 yr old had croup few months back before turning 1 and has sounded croupy ever since bringing him home from hospital a yr ago and they tell me his stuff back in there is just under developed basically, HMMMM....OOOKKKKK and then he ends up with the croup(scarey) like 2 months ago and on steroids and a breathing machine then I had him back into urgent care during this also and he gets amoxicillian and during that the breathing treatments he still sounded croupy so again on same day I took my daughter to urgent care I take him into urgent care just this past Thursday and his chest is so inflamed with junk and croupy coughing still the urgent care doctor gives him z-pak also and both my kids have been on it for the full 5 days now and he sounds MUCH MUCH better but my daughter is still complaining of the throat and then has this epiglottis sticking up now so I'm wondering if she caught infection from him and he caught something from the hospital before bringing him home a year ago and being vaccinated with the HIB shots that can cause this? I am having her checked tomorrow at doc and my son goes in for 12 month check-up I will keep everyone updated as to what my pediatrician says and who he hopefully refers me out to because this was contracted from one kid to the next and then she ends up also having irregular heartbeat syndrome that we have NO CLUE where this came from also it all has to be combined into one and it takes a parent to notice all this and WHAT THE HELL ARE WE PAYING A DOCTOR FOR????!!!!! Ya feel me?
Hi There I have had this very same problem for a couple of years now. I have been to A&E twice with it as it has turned into a slight panic attack on these occasions. The hospital never really diagnosed anything, but having been to my GP on about 4 times, he has put it down to stress.! I can totally understand that but the trouble is when you get it, it makes you feel even more stressed!!!!!
I have these symptoms also.  Although they come and go for me.  An uncomfortable throat and the feeling like there is a lump stuck in there (usually brought on by colds, drinking wine or other alcoholic beverage, or when I'm exposed to air pollutants). My epiglottis is visible (and has been for the past year...or at least that's when I discovered that I could see it). And it is most definitely my epiglottis and NOT my uvula (I'm a nurse and I do know the difference thank you very much to those people on other sites who tell me I'm seeing my uvula).
I've read that these symptoms can be benign or they can be caused by a mass in the throat (possibly cancer), or can be an allergic reaction and cause epiglottitis (in which the epiglottis and larynx can swell quickly and can be potentially fatal if not treated immediately).
I would pass along (after reading up on symptoms via the internet), that if anyone is having any difficulty breathing because of the "lump" they should see an ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) asap! If the symptoms are getting worse or are accompanied by weight loss, night time sweats, coughing up blood, or swelling of the throat, or increased fatigue, see your doctor right away.
Another helpful thing I've found when going into overly-scheduled doctors offices these days is to (before going to your appt), write down a list of all your symptoms, keep a diary of what seems to make the symptoms worse, and write down all of your questions that you want to ask...then take all of this with you.  This way you won't forget to ask anything and your notes can really be helpful in figuring out whats wrong.  
I got a very sore throat about 15 months ago.  I had constant phlegm in my throat and sometimes my ears ring (but according to the ENT, my ears are fine).  The biggest problem was feeling like I couldn't breathe and getting out of breath just walking around the house.  My ENT put a scope down my nose and throat and he saw that the epiglottis was extremely inflamed and covered in phlegm (epiglottitis).  He said that because of the inflammation, my vocal cords close to keep the contaniments out of my lungs and that was putting my body into panic mode which was causing my blood pressure to go sky high.  During those times, I have noticed a pounding in my chest.  Tests show that my heart is fine. The swelling also narrows the throat and all of that causes the feeling of the lump in the throat.

He said that throat irritation is commonly caused by acid reflux (even at night when you're sleeping).  Another contributor can be sleep apnea, and I have read that smoking can hurt your throat.  Alcohol, chocolate and caffeine are also bad.  A bacterial infection can cause throat problems, but my Strep test was negative.  I had surgery to remove almost everything in my mouth (tonsils, uvula, the whole palate reduction).  My sleep apnea is gone, but throat is still inflamed.

I took voice lessons at the ENT's office to learn how to breathe through my nose (rather than my throat), from my diaphragm, and out through my mouth to relax my vocal cords, and how to speak without stressing the vocal cords (because prolonged talking made my throat worse).  I take a proton pump inhibitor called Dexilant now during the day and Ranitidine at night which controls the acid reflux and helps heal my throat, and I have reduced the amount of acidic and greasy foods and dairy (which coats your throat and makes the phlegm worse) but my throat still flares up mostly when the furnace or air conditioner is on in my house to the point where I feel like I can't breathe even with the acid reflux medicine.  I feel slightly better outside of my house, so I am wondering if it is dust or mold in the ventilation and in the carpeting which could be causing my throat to be irritated. The allergist says I don't have allergies, and the ENT says that's not likely the cause, but something is causing my throat to dry out and/or be irritated, so I think that it might be a factor. Doctors are only human and sometimes they make educated guesses. I have had all kinds of blood tests, CT scans, heart tests, etc. done, and none of them have been able to tell me what the cause is.   Cleaning my carpet and vents is next thing that I'm going to try.  It's my own educated guess.

I would like to thank SweetSoulX for his/her suggestions. I have noticed that tea (non-caffeinated) with honey seems to help a little bit (at least while I'm drinking it) and steam from the shower as someone else mentioned helps while I'm in the shower.  

I would imagine that for anyone with epiglottitis (determined by that scope down the throat from the ENT), that there can be many different causes.  I would suggest seeing an ENT to rule out Strep Throat or a bacterial infection.  So far, I'm still searching for my cause.

I do the exact same thing. I even had a endoscope done and they said the flap swells due to acid reflux and stress. Well I've never had acid reflux in my life so I still dont understand that. They gave me medicince for acid reflux and it seems to make it worse, I've tried three different types and they all seem to make it worse. I finally quite taking any of it and i seem to be doing a little better it still comes and goes and i try to ignore it but its really hard. Today actually maybe 10 minutes ago I was eating a little pizza and i had to quite cause it felt like some had gotten stuck in my throat I can breathe okay but I feel it in there and its gotten so bad I keep making my self throw up to try and get it out its not working at all. I have no idea what to do.
STABBING PAIN - This terrible painful condition in my throat has ruined my life. By the time 9 months out of work. It had happened a lot when I got it in may/june 2011.

It's pain all 24/7, more or less.It starts or evelate when I swallow spit. (Swallowing mouthfulls of drink or food doesn't evelate the pain???!)

The doctors don't find anything - not on X-ray, MR, CT, ENT, ultrasound. The only test I haven't taken is Laryngoscopi and Bronkoscopy - and the doctors will not let me have it, because they mean my throat is "all-through" investigated.

Now and then (seldom) I'm without severe pain. My hypotheses then, is that this may be caused by some nevrologic fault, that just "make" my brain think I have something in my throat. When the pain is on it's worst, I'm convinced that it's "something there" or that my thyroid is broken somewhere.

My stabbing pain is located behind my thyroid when I'm standing, on the right side when I'm laying down f.ex when in bed.

My night-sleep is ruined. I sleep for 1-2 hours a time. I'm beginning to think that I faint into sleep, not actually falling in sleep.

It really puzled me when the doctors reported that the CT showed "symmetri and no patologies". Because my doctor first diagnoed it like a "anxiety lump", she wrote in the referral that I suffered from "psycological problems", and the se refered me wrong "and the patients says that the lump in the troat it at it worst when his psychological problems are at the worst". Can you believe it? The case is that I have the hardes time WHEN the stabbing pain in my throat is at it worst. Jesus... I had to get rid of her and change.

Now that I don't get new tests; I'm afraid the analyses was affected by the writing of my former doctors referral to the specialists. (F.ex, the ENT-specialist ended the session telling me to start work-out 5 days a week to get rid of my problem-thoughts...).

And, yes, dethklok420. Me too, has been that the only way of getting rid of this is by killing meselves. No doctors has shown they understand how it is to have this stabbing pain in the throat. Actually I believe my brain is taken this more serious than the "rational me" - it's like alarm-tensions. Perhaps it's because the "thing" is where signals to the brain says it's life-threatening and urgent... (Yes, I've called 911 too many times. They don't listen to me anymore. They just gives me valium which DO NOT solve any problems, pain-killers or send me home without doing nothing but writing a journal to my doctor, which don't believe me, and so on...).
Just to say I've had this a few times now, once ended up in A&E due to swollen uvulea(think thats the name) where they popped in some hydrocortisone and gave me piriton type tabs.  They seemed baffled but noted my punchbag-like uvulea with some surprise and diagnosed allergic reaction.  I was in a friend's spare bed on that occasion so mebbe. Just had another scary one (at home), seems to happen on waking during a doze.  Not sure what it is, parallels here are: I have had PTSD related anxiety, have got a hiatus hernia and reflux,  do take Nasonex, have been diagnosed negative with apnea (after taking home a crappy sleep kit).Do have asthma. I am a bit irregular with taking medication as I dont like doing it. This last waking up with the phantom throat strangler wasnt my uvulea, it was lower in my throat.  Anyhoo I've took Colpermyn, Nasonex (for first time in while), Valerian, Piriton and Omeprazole, hoping to scatter-gun all possible symptoms (anxiety, reflux, allergy etc,) and one or more of them has done the trick 15 mins later. :) I'll have to pare down the remedies to see which it is next time provided it doesn't kill me :)  Big shout to SweetSoul for their comments.  Good luck fellow mystery chokers -  I reckon it may be reflux that triggers it.  Anxiety, yeah well waking up feeling like you're about to die tends to trigger it... PS Deatklok...Killing yourself *would* get rid of it, but is not recommended by doctors, quacks, priests or me.
I've had the same problem described by everyone else: difficulty swallowing; suffocating feeling at night, that causes me to wake up and feel as if I'm choking; wheezy sounds when I breathe from a swollen and mucus-covered epiglottis; lots of mucus--particularly at night and early in the morning.

In my case, it started after I had a severe allergic reaction to some high-dose vitamin d3 pills I was taking (prescribed by my GP to combat low vitamin D levels). My throat became severely inflamed, and I started choking on food and pills. Then I had some pills get caught around my epiglottis and I seriously thought I was going to choke to death. Since then, my epiglottis has been inflamed, waking me up at night and causing a false asthma feeling (though my O2 levels are normal and there is no wheezing in my lungs).

If you Google "epiglottitis," you will see a list of most of the symptoms contained in everyone's posts; however, people who get epiglottitis from an allergic reaction generally don't experience the severe sore throat part. Here's a quote from a doctor's article about NON-infectious epiglottitis (which many of the people posting here seem to have): "In those individuals with chemical, allergic, or thermal causes, there is often a very recent history of exposure to intensely hot steam, allergens, or noxious chemicals respectively. There will usually not be symptoms of acute infection, such as pain, fever, sore throat, or drooling, but the airway obstructive symptoms, such as stridor [wheezing, whistling sounds], leaning forward, and more difficult breathing with increased respiratory effort will be present."

To begin with, it might be useful to ask yourself if you have had an allergic reaction to pills or food. Did something seem to trigger the swollen epiglottis?

How I've been treating myself (as doctors have been absolutely no help): interestingly, I've found that an albuterol inhaler (or, ideally, albuterol ampules for a nebulizer) will reduce my epiglottis swelling within minutes, allowing me to sleep for several uninterrupted hours. I think the albuterol must reduce the swelling and/or mucus. I recommend this for those poor folks who can't get a decent night's sleep. Just the smallest dose of albuterol (a single puff of an inhaler, or only a minute on the nebulizer) makes all my symptoms magically go away for ~4-6 hours.

Also, I've found it useful to take 10mg of Claritin and/or two Advil tablets an hour or two before bed to reduce inflammation. By following these protocols, my condition has gradually gotten better. I avoid hard, sharp, or spicy foods to avoid inflaming the area any more, and in this way (using albuterol sparingly, taking an antihistamine, and using Advil before bed), it is starting to heal and feel better. My doctor told me that the esophagus/ epiglottis takes a while to heal (a few weeks to a few months), so don't despair. During those times when you feel like you're choking, remind yourself that your lungs are working fine; you're not going to suffocate. IT WILL GET BETTER! Take note of any positive developments, and don't despair over the occasional bad day.

I wish everyone the best.

Any of you use any products with Aspartame in it? I ask because not but 3 weeks ago I began noticing these same symptoms. Trouble swallowing,sore/swollen throat, swollen glands.Felt like My throat was actually ready to pop out of place,salivating,or dry mouth during exercises, I would chew gum while biking or exercising to keep the saliva flowing,problem is Gum has Aspartame,thus the problems began..Top that with the use of Riccola when I went to bed at night,for allergy related issues(also has Aspartame) and My intake of this "Sweet Poison" had increased,and symptoms got far worse.Here I am 5 weeks later,I cut off all use of Aspartame related products, after reading about it's side effects and Aspartame allergic reactions,5 days now and throat no longer feels near as full and swollen,there is still some difficulty swallowing,but even that seems to be improving to a degree,epiglottis still pops when swallowing but again,that seems to be improving as well.From what I have read,this junk has a half life of 3-4 days,which means it will take about 3-4 weeks to fully remove from your body..My symptoms are still mildly active,thus I was searching around and found this thread,hopefully the info helps some of you..
Been very ill - congestion, reactive airways, cough variant asthma (sensitive to many substances)  post nasal drip, congestion, no fever, croup like cough developed, severe congestion and swelling of trachea and chest, great sensitivity of the named areas - took Zantac, Larangoscopy showed inflamed Larynx.  Oh, yes, got many (real ones)  Laryngeal spasms while attempting to cough and mucous/phlegm overload.  I have been suspecting oral candida as well.  Transparent blisters on pharynx (the visible back wall behind the tonsils when you open your mouth - behind the uvula, blister on posterior part of tongue, white coated tongue.  Food particles even water getting stuck (?) on to epiglottis - larynx area creating a cough that becomes a choke!   Going to get Oral Candida test.  Started Nystatin, although the only thing that eradicates oral candida in me is Flucanazole.  Understanding of Croup as well as Oral Candida seems to be deficient in health care.
Well i am seventeen years old and having worst symptoms. Ive had all of this going on for more then four months off and on? What does this mean?
To everyone mystified by what might be wrong with them, please research: LARYNGOPHARYNGEAL REFLUX  (LPR)

For 9 months, I had all the same symptoms everyone here was talking about: choking feeling, difficulty swallowing, the "globus" feeling of something being "stuck" in the throat (swollen epiglottis flap), asthma-like wheezing in the throat, hoarse voice, etc. I finally convinced a G.I. doctor to scope down my throat, and it turned out to be Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR). Basically, my epiglottis, larynx, and vocal cords were dramatically swollen from acid reflux (and food allergies, too, I later learned). I took two Prilosec a day, in morning and night, for a month and am almost back to normal now. For a more hardcore treatment, the prescription PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) Dexilant has worked for more stubborn cases, according to my doctor (but I had to stop the Dexilant because of side effects).

I hope this helps!
I have had this same problem people!..... DRY mouth, visible epiglottis, trouble swallowing. The doctor says its anxiety, but I don't believe it.
I found this thread after searching for some kind of solution....

looooooooooong story:  I am 37, female, non-smoker.  Had Nissen Fundo (anti reflux surgery) 7 months ago for a hypotensive LES and Barrets Esophagus but more importantly I have had a sore throat and a lot of ENT symptoms and eventually so many tests and got diagnosed with Chricopharengeal spasms/thickening and treated with Dialation procedure and Botillium 20 units!  NO improvement!

I am so sick and tired of this.  My epiglottis is almost permanently swollen/enlarged and I have what they call a "supraglottic constriction" and now the ENT Surgeon is sending me for SPEECH THERAPY and it is 600km from home and I need to go non-stop for a week!

I don't see how this can help me?????

can anyone shed some light?
My 23 year old daughter has been SUFFERING for a year.  We have been to so many doctors including Mayo Clinic and still no one can be straight on the subject and help.  We are not giving up the fight and researching on our own.  You are welcome to contact me by email and stay in touch: ***@****

Someone ...some doctor out there must know what this is!  It's horrible... frightening... painful... frustrating... and we are sick of the BS we get from the doctors.  She has been told to take anxiety meds and antidepressants.  HA!  That's rediculous!!  Sooooooooooo not like my high-energy, outgoing, Magna *** Laude graduate from college.  What a joke!!  Let's not give up and be a support system to each other!!
This is Mamabear1213...

If anyone has any info you can pass on... please help!

It all began with trouble swallowing in November of 2011 and my daughter has the identical symptoms that I've read about in all of your postings... even told by one "major" hospital that she has Esophageal Dismotility... then by another "major well-known" hospital... had another swallow study and was told she doen't.  She either does or doesn't!   Same test, different doctors and hospital... really??  We are losing our minds already!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you ! I never noticed until I read your post about the inhaler or the neb.. makes the throat thing go away I had not put the two things together. I do know that when my SP02 levels are low the throat thing is at its worst.
Also when I get my back adjusted it goes away.
Thank you !
sounds like LPR, Gerd symptoms
Hey everyone.   I have been having all the same problems.  Two years ago had a very serious case of epiglottits--came within minutes of dying or at least needing a trach.   Since then (and perhaps unknowingly my whole life) I have had symptoms on and off.  All of you seem to have GERD.  The acid from your stomach is traveling up your espohoagus and into your throat.   It causes the "lump in the throat", laryngitis, sore throat, earache, mucus in nose and throat, trouble swallowing.  Only things that will help are PPI's, antacids, and lifestyle changes.  Maintain normal weight, eat small meals, no alcohol or tobacco, exercise regularly, no spicy foods, and do not lie down for 3 hours after eating.  Sleep on your left side.  Hope that this helps.
Hi there,

It is really weird that we all have some kind of GERD issue as well as the throat/swollen epiglottis and globus sensation.

I have Barret's due to longstanding severe GERD and had the Nissen operation done over a year ago in hope that it would heal my throat!  The Surgeon wanted to do the op due to the Barret's and cancer risk, but I was just looking forward to having a normal throat again!

It is a bit more involved than just GERD it seams...

One year post-op and nothing changed.  I got a diagnoses of Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and it is a Neurologic issue where the muscle does not relax or contract properly.  Is there a connection between this ENT problem and GERD?  not according to all the studies that I've done on the topic.

But I am yet waiting for a cure or solution that will make my throat better.
Hi there,

I hope this posts finds you...

I have had a horrible time with my throat and other health issues and I have also had Doctors telling me it is in my head or even Bulimmia!  but eventually I went to see an Otolarancologist that diagnosed:  Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and I had a treatment (dilatation and botillium injection) and my symptoms disappeared for 2 months!!!!  and now that the injection is no longer working, I have all the old symptoms again!  swollen epiglottis, sore throat, voice issues, chest pains when I swallow food, muscles in my neck/throat going into what feels like spasms and glands that get swollen and that permanent lump in the throat!

All due to the Chricopharengeal muscle that does not work properly.

Maybe that is you answer?  I don't have the solution yet as the Botillium only works for 2 months and then you have to get it done again...

All the best and hope to hear from you.
I don't know what's wrong with my throat. I feel as if it is just producing more mucus for me to hack up.  I cant stop spitting and it feels swore and swollen when I talk. Like something is in the way. And it makes me wanna hack up again. Anyone know what it might be ? :(
Hi Sweetstuff,

I came across this forum in search of answers to a problem I'm having.  It started about 6 weeks ago...been having dental work done removing amalgam and ended up with three root canals and crowns, one of which I had to get done twice and another, had an infection and needed antibiotics !! And I know I swallowed something ( like you do) anyway, It feels as if I have something stuck in my throat and since then my throat and esophagus feels raw!

2 weeks ago I ate some toast and it felt like it was stuck like right under my breast bone!! Awful feeling. Also i have a tight feeling between my upper part of shoulder blade ( feel is like tension) my research ( as you do) I know that's contradictory to what doc say- acid reflux is not an over amount of stomach acid, but low stomach acid. I have been swallowing a lot, seems like I had more mucus going on.. ( My 3yr and 1yr old were sick too and they love to share sneezes.. In my face lol

)So I went to the health store on Friday & found that taking HCL and probiotics and ginger/ honey tea. Aloe Vera juice- no bread products and by Sunday that lump feeling by my breast bone had gone !!

But cause of family history with thyroid problems,  I went to see an ENT yesterday, had the nasal scope done. I only had a little mucus sitting on my epiglottis ( the thing that opens and closes when you swallow) there. He prescribed me Omerarople ( antacid) which I haven't taken yet. I also made him schedule an ultrasound on my throat- waiting on results.

I am the kind of person to want to do natural remedies first... Just picked up a Manuuka honey to help with the raw feeling ( my mom swore by this). I still have that raw feeling in the throat and chest.

I am just concerned as to if I should take antacids ( they can cause more issues down the line and only mask the real problem)...I have a follow up in 4wks. I have been a little stressed of late ( my hubby will be starting a masters in the fall.. In Madison Wisconsin... And all the stress of moving I have been doing relaxation stretches which helps. I am thinking of going to see chiropractor....but with no insurance the bills are creeping up..that is stressing me too.

I loved what you had to say and will start gargling too. But if anyone on here has any other information or has had the same symptoms as me I would love their feedback.
Thanks to everyone for sharing ... I too had the feeling that I had a 'lump' in the back of my throat ... I went to an ENT and he scoped my throat - through my nose, etc. and said I have signs of acid reflux and I was told to take Prilosec ... well it wasn't until a few days to a week LATER that I felt something additionally different in my throat and when I looked back there saw, for the first time ever, my epiglottis!! It looks like a mini tongue, behind my regular tongue.  I think it is being pushed up from the swelling and inflamation from the acid reflux.  I also wonder if it was irritated from having the scope procedure done too...  I am trying dramatic lifestyle changes and the acid reflux diet - I don't want to go the Prilosec route yet - I also prefer a more 'natural' approach and I read that Prilosec and the rest of those meds can really mess up a person's digestive system over time ...

I want to give this a little more time to see if it will improve but I may have to seek further medical attention if it does not ... I also ordered some 'natural approach' books on acid reflux and will study those as soon as I get them ... good luck to everyone dealing with this ...  
I have the same thing, about every month now for about 2 weeks it feels like somethings in my throat and i can see it with a flashlight. Everytime it starts up again my tongue goes slightly numb/ tingly and i get post nasal drip. Don't know why. Ent's say its normal, er says its normal. I asked my usual doc and she says its my larynx swollen and pushing everything upwards. Not sure, but its the only answer Ive gotten. I'm also wondering if its easier to see because I have an extra large mouth. Lol. Its def not always there though, just wondering if everyones swells from time to time due to allergies or gerd ( which i have both) and I (or we) can just see it more clearly. Because doctors tend not to think its very serious.
Yes I have had this Since Nov 2012. Woke up with the feeling of something in my throat.. My ear kind of hurt as well. Went to the ER two times and Two different ER's all kinds of blood work was done and all normal. Went to ENT and had a scope done he said all was normal. I asked for a cat scan, witch was done a week later. ENT called and said something was there that need close look and wanted to do an Laryngoscopy to look closer and a Biopsy. Was done in Dec 2012. All was normal.. Thank goodness. Still have feelings in throat. Gave me Prilosec, but I don't take it as I should because I do not like taking pills... I returned to ENT in July 2013 for a follow up and again he say something in my throat behind my Lingual Tonsil. He did a Biopsy in his office this time. All came back normal. My Lingual Tonsil is lg and sideways I notice that my Epiglottis hits or rubs on this Tonsil. I think this is what's causing this feeling of something in my throat. I don't know what suddenly started causing My Epiglottis to start appearing in my throat other then acid reflex that I don't feel like I have but I guess I do.. I am a very small 110 lb 52 year old female. All this stressed my out so bad that I lost 20 Pounds and got to a very skinny 90 pounds which I am still trying to gain back.. I just thank God all has came back normal and there isn't any sign of Cancer.. I can live with this as long as I know I am ok..
i've been dealing with this same issue for a year. i had found out i had hpylori and had a round of antibiotics. i was still having symptoms, so i went on another round. long story short and after countless hours of research and studying the anatomy of the throat, i discovered i found the problem! i have a candida overgrowth in my throat and esophagus. went back to ent and he said yes thats why your linqual tonsils are swollen. the yeast lives in them. i had also had every test possible, even the barium swollowing test. i cut out all sugars, starches and carbs. feeling a little better. hope this helps.
This may be Tonsil stones you are feeling, look it up it causes complications with breathing, your breath, eating etc. look it up on google many people suffer from this cottage cheese looking ball sticking to the throat which makes it feel like food or other debrea is stuck. Ive suffered with many cases of Tonsilitis and this is what I discovered in my mouth a couple months ago, Also one tonsil is larger than the other and my epiglottis is swollen.
I am a self healer. Been healing myself for over forty years. Lost faith in orthodox medicine years ago. Came into the 'field' of self healing with the best of them, Linus Pauiing-Vitamin C, Adelle Davis Let's Get Well, Norman Cousins The Anatomy of an illness and the healingHeart.
I am at the moment recovering from a severe bout with strep throw-my own diagnose-and a really horrid eppiiglotis attack. EEEEKKK.
My approach: Vitamin A,, 10,000 Iu, Vitamin E, 1000 IU, Calcium/magnesium and zinc, Vitamin C-at least one hundred grams-wheat germ and Brewer's Yeast, the complete B complex.
The way it works, for me, I make a rich vegetable broth-actually I cheat and use V8 juice, add about a tablespoon of Brewer's Yeast and tbsp of Wheat Germ. With it I take the vitamins.
I can also make a juice, orange, banana, papaya plus honey Brewer'sYeast and Wheat Germ.
During 'flareups' I drink the fruit juice first thing in the morning. Soup for dinner. I stick to a liquid diet for the first few days. Try to live a 'normal' life. I keep a bottle of water and Vitamins A, B, and cal/mag/zinc by my bed at night.
Before bed sometime, I boil water and inhale the steam.
Often the results are immediate. But I'm always careful, relapses are dangerous.
Everything I take is natural. No drugs, surgeries or doctor's visit. I'm 83. It's worked for me for years. What I say is I'm 83 years young, suffer from glowing gd health, no chronic aches, pains of ailements, take no drugs
You can visit me in your search...look for Bettejo Dux, or just plain Bettejo. I live on Kauai-we are exposed to the nastiest GM tair borne oxins-I am a writer. You can find my web site is Bettejo Dux. I have  column. I', also at www.dakinetalk.blogspot.
I'm not selling anything, altho you might like to check out my novel The Scam. I know where you are all coming from. Empathize.
You can leave a message at my column---Bettejo--you call t a blog. Best of  
luck.
Bettejo Dux

I had this problem pretty bad and I can honestly say its all but gone now.  I made a number of different behavior changes to fix it, I'm not sure which one did but I'll list them here.  Also thank you to SweetSoulX.  Some of my remedies were from your post.

1.  I would stay up late watching TV on a lazy boy recliner tilted back.  I noticed this isn't great for your body, makes you super lazy, inhibits breathing a little.  I stopped doing this.  Watch TV / rest either sitting up, on your side, or on your stomach.

2.  Drink hot tea for immediate temporary relief.  I drank a lot of decaf tea.  Soup can be good too.

3.  Use a humidifier.  It's winter here, the air is dry, my throat is dry, a humidifier helps the air quality.

4.  Replace your home air filter.  This is supposed to be done every 3 months or so.  Mine was past due.  This is another thing that will help the air quality.  (Your car has an air filter also that should be pretty easy to change.)

5.  Get good sleep.  Linked with the staying up late my sleep habits were ****.  Try to get regular sleep.

After doing all the above that lump in my throat is gone.  Not five days ago I was googling "epiglottis feels like it's choking me" which led me to here.
Forgot to mention, along with #2

6.  Gargling water (maybe try salt water also) can help sooth the problem for immediate relief.
did you find out what was wrong??? Ive noticed this over the last week and it was really starting to concern me
Same feeling here. It started about 3weeks ago. Feel normal every morning, symptom starts after meal when eating too fast. May I ask, for those that have done scoping down your throat through your nose or mouth, is the procedure painful?
I started out having this feeling like something was in my throat. I'd look and not see anything. Until yesterday. I looked and could see my epiglottis for the first time. It's very visible. I wish we could show pictures here. Anyway, I went to the ER and was told it was normal for some to be able to see their epiglottis. Well I've never seen mine before this and I've looked a lot because of the feeling something was in my throat. My fear is that it's going to get worse and end up killing me or something. But I mostly just want the damn thing to go down and the feeling to just GO! I do have GERD and/or probably something like it. I also have allergies and this does seem to be more apparent now since Spring has began. I also am doing a taper from the benzodiazepine - Klonopin. So I'm GERD, Allergies, AND anxiety. Reading these posts helps some but I'm still concerned. Trying to just relax but it's a constant feeling and I can still see it now just as well as yesterday. Perhaps in time if it's still there but hasn't changed, I'll relax a little. I just wish it would just go back to normal! It's frightening and I am afraid to go out or do anything for fear it will get worse and/or I'll have a panic attack!
Most of you are describing the uvula, not the epiglottis; and this often becomes stretched from snoring. Keep your chin away from your chest when you sleep.
I have been dealing with the same issue for the last week .. Not sure if it relates to people here but Ive realized thru reasearching post as well that my EPIGLOTTIS .. Not uvula  .. Is stretched and swollen  , and the lumpy feeling in ur throat causes you to keep bringing up flem and spit . Ive taken some anti inflamitories and stopped trying to clear my throat so aggressiy , i beleive the act of drawing flem out is making my throat muscles pull and stretch my epiglottis making it worse everytime i spit ... Hot tea and being less agressive when clearing my throat has helped greatly .. Not sure if this is the cure but it has made a huge difference for me .
I have some what of the same problem but mines worse.. I have a very bad time trying to swallow foods or liquids, As it makes me feel like I am choking on what I've just swallowed. It started back in December.. I was eating chicken and began to choke on it. I think I may have pushed myself in trying to get it up that I might have swollen my throat in the process, Also I'm having a problem breathing through my nose so it's more likely that what ever I've it's do to with my epiglottis. It doesn't help that fact that I'm a aggressive vocalist or " Screamer". But thanks to this I'll for sure stop practicing, and trying to clear my throat so aggressively.
I've had a feeling of something in my throat, like a growth or blockage and after reading some of these letters I'm beginning to think alcohol might be the culprit. I'll go dry for a few weeks and see if it improves.
i have same with me..any help now 2016?
Is 3:30am I feel the same, did you find a cure?
Same issue as many folks,.felt like something was stuck in my throat...was more of an issue when I had gas in my stomach and had to belch..felt like flem was getting caught in the area.  just went to an Ears Nose and Throat doctor and he scoped the throat...which was a very simple quick process ( I was a bit panicky but there was no reason to be!).   He said my epiglottis was swollen and diagnosed LPR (laryngopharngeal reflux) and recommended I start taking my PPI (Prevacid) again every other day... Other recommendations on the form I was given:
1) eat smaller, more frequent meals
2) Avoid bedtime snacks...allow 4 hours between eating at night and bedtime.
3) No throat clearing and limit voice use as much as possible...Avoid yelling and excessive voice use.
4) Drink plenty of water each day, if you feel you have to clear throat, drink water instead..usually feeling will pass.
5)avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages which worsen hearburn.
6) Elevate the headboard of your bed...keep acid and stomach contents in stomach by gravity.
7) If taking antacids...take 1 hour after meal.
8) Watch weight..increased weight increases pressure in abdomin.
9) Don't excersie right after eating.
Do this for 1-2 months.

Thanks this is exactly what is happening to me!
brilliant!  this thread describes my problem perfectly ( as does the others).  I think it is sinus related due to allergies (dairy is definite)....not easy to get the sinuses cleared...but I have found Sashimi  (or sushi if you cannot stand raw anything!) with the magic ingredient WASABI...eat it and the wasabi (like a green horseradish paste available in tubes from lots of supermarkets "House Foods" wasabi brand from Tesco is the best)...really gets your sinuses flowing that antihistamines and nasal sprays just donot...they tend to dry things up rather than get them flowing.  It works for me.
This describes my problem exactly. I stayed up all night (I know... my fault) and this morning I had a lot of gas in my stomach and this happened to me. I took a pill for the gas and at first I thought that the pill got stuck in my throat. But I realized it wasn't because it would have dissolved by now. Also this has happened to me before but last time I was trying to clear my throat out but it just made it worse. Anyways, this helped a lot, especially the other answer on this thread. Thanks